Tanking Classes Compilation for WotLK - Last update 17 OCT

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Sartor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:44 am

Worldie wrote:A interesting information, HotR is atm usable while silenced.

Thanks I will add that.

Majiben wrote:Might want to update to say that HoTR has been normalized so whether the weapon is slow or fast, it's the dps and attack power that matters.

... and that :P
Sartor

Postby RunRabbit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Good reading Sartor :)
RunRabbit

Postby edgeta » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:03 am

Really nice post here, I'm brand new to pally tanking (Just lost one of our mains so I'm switching over from Holy) so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before the new patch comes out (no sense wasting gold by respeccing now when we get a free one soon).

My question is this...with Str being the new primary TPS stat, would anyone consider using crusader on their weapon over major SP for the occational 100 Str? or is a straight 40 SP going to be superior?
edgeta

Postby tinalt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:08 am

edgeta wrote:Really nice post here, I'm brand new to pally tanking (Just lost one of our mains so I'm switching over from Holy) so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before the new patch comes out (no sense wasting gold by respeccing now when we get a free one soon).

My question is this...with Str being the new primary TPS stat, would anyone consider using crusader on their weapon over major SP for the occational 100 Str? or is a straight 40 SP going to be superior?

Crusader already scales pretty badly at 70, i can only expect it to get even worse on the way to and at 80. I'd say stick with 40 SP.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby edgeta » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:14 am

Tinalt wrote:Crusader already scales pretty badly at 70, i can only expect it to get even worse on the way to and at 80. I'd say stick with 40 SP.

Thanks, my other main is a druid so I've never bothered with proccing enchants. 40 SP it is.
Mandoralin - lv 70 Paladin - Elune

50/11/0 (respeccing prot with next patch)
edgeta

Postby Vanifae » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:41 am

Potency is another possible enchant that pulls double duty as threat increase and mitigation boost.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Naeldon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 am

Sartor wrote:[*]New Judgment/Seal system

• Judgement has been replaced with 3 new spells - Judgment of Light, Judgment of Wisdom, Judgment of Justice.
  • All Judgement spells are considered ranged attacks for purposes of how they hit and how they critically hit.
  • All cause damage based on attack power and spell power [20% of AP + 32% of Spell Power + 1].
  • Judging a target does NOT consume the seal.
  • Judgment is no longer refreshed by auto-attacks or Crusader Strike
  • A debuff is applied to your target based on your used Judgment.
  • Seals are now 2 mins buffs
  • All Seals have been reduced to 1 rank and now cost 14% of base mana.
  • The Seal effects can be triggered from all weapon based special abilities. If I use Hammer of the Righteous (look below) and SoV, I would place debuff on all 3 targets, i.e. AoE DoT on 3 targets.

I. Basics

Judgments:
    ImageJudgment of Light - JoL: heals based on the Paladin’s attack power and spell power, the effect can not trigger more than once ever 4 seconds. 50% chance to proc

Judgement of Light proc: Health gained = 18% * AP + 18% * SP

ImageJudgment of Wisdom - JoW: NEW restores 2% total mana. 50+% chance to proc

ImageJudgment of Justice - JoJ: no longer prevent Fear effects, but will only prevent NPCs from fleeing & limit target's movement speed (i.e. negates any movement increase mechanics such as mount, sprint, enchants, etc.).

Useful macro for 1 button Judgment. Keep in mind I am not in the beta and it is not tested.:
    Code: Select all
    #showtooltip
    /cast [modifier:ctrl] Judgement of Light; [modifier:alt] Judgement of Justice; Judgement of Wisdom

I'm having difficulty understanding this bit. Does it mean that when we judge a target we do damage as well as restoring health (JoL) mana (JoW) or preventing mobs from fleeing (JoJ)?
Naeldon

Postby Sartor » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:26 am

Naeldon wrote:I'm having difficulty understanding this bit. Does it mean that when we judge a target we do damage as well as restoring health (JoL) mana (JoW) or preventing mobs from fleeing (JoJ)?

When we judge the target we deal some base damage modified by the seal that we have active, and apply a debuff, which is according to the judgment used on the target.

Restoring health/mana is on a proc per hit (PPH). As long as the mob has JoW/JoL debuff, there will be chance to proc for everyone hitting this mob.

JoJ is preventing instantly a mob to flee, and limiting their movement speed (i.e. negating any movement increasing effects such as Dash, Spring, Mounts, etc.).
Sartor

Postby Naeldon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:36 am

Thanks mate :)
Naeldon

Postby Mithos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:20 am

Sartor wrote:Hammer of the Righteous - 51 pt Prot talent. Hits the current target and 2 additional targets for NEW 3 times your main hand damage per second as Holy damage. 6 sec CD, very low mana cost. Usable while silinced, and is based on weapon DPS and character sheet AP

This will allow paladins to use slow hitting DPS 1H weapons (WTB Muramasa.. hope rogues won't rape me ).

Well, we CAN use them yeah, but they aren't the best choices anymore, it either a spell dmg weapon or a tank weapon.
Mithos

Postby fizikz » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:27 am

This will allow paladins to use slow hitting DPS 1H weapons (WTB Muramasa.. hope rogues won't rape me Razz).

misleading as weapon speed has no part in HotR damage anymore. just thought you might wanna change it :)
Sexual Harassment is the new Purple.
-Vanifae
fizikz

Postby Jeryia » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Hello,
Holy Shield now scales with attack power. You may wish to add that. based on testing, I've come up with the equation below to determine the damage caused by holy shield.

Holy Shield damage = 158.9+0.0581*AP+.0903*SP

This data is accurate up to 1 point of damage as of build 8970 of the PTR.
Jeryia

Postby Sartor » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 am

Jeryia wrote:Hello,
Holy Shield now scales with attack power. You may wish to add that. based on testing, I've come up with the equation below to determine the damage caused by holy shield.

OMG nice... I will add it now :)
Sartor

Postby durenas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 am

We will probably still want to use a spellpower weapon for threat. A high dps tanking weapon improves the power of hammer of the righteous, true, but a high spellpower weapon(like the one with 450 spellpower!) improves just about everything, and generates far more threat.
durenas

Postby Amanor » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:04 am

Jeryia wrote:Hello,

I pointed that out in the coefficients thread a while ago, actually, and while it's appreciated that you went to the effort of testing it and presenting an equation, it's a bit off with your adjusting the base damage of Holy Shield. Considering the tooltip for Rank 4 (which I'm assuming is the one you're using) says 160, it might be more accurate to say

Holy Shield damage = Base Damage + 0.565*AP + 0.9*SP

The AP coefficient seems to dance between 0.56 and 0.566 depending on how much AP one is testing with. I've only tested at 500 intervals up to 2k, though, and with rank 4, so I'd be happy to see a more definite number if there is one.
Amanor

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK