Remove Advertisements

Solo-tanking Nalorakk human form with offtank as dps?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Solo-tanking Nalorakk human form with offtank as dps?

Postby Vareena » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:58 am

I've seen some videos where on the first part of the fight the off-tank does not stand in front of Nalorakk's human form, and instead dps's from behind? So brutal swipe will not be split. Is there a good reason for this? We're only running with 2 healers right now in order to get our bear mounts, so I'm not sure I would want to risk a bad brutal swipe just for a little extra dps.
Vareena

Postby Worldie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm

I don't see any reason to not split the damage other than not knowing it splits. 13k damage is a lot in a 10 men.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Miniscule increase in dps vs greater potential for a wipe. It's not worth it.

Nalorakk isn't hasted by parries anyway, so the other tank can just attack from the front. It's probably a good idea for him to keep his shield on, though...
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Loendoran » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 am

Why not just have the OT stay in front of Nalorakk and dps? Then when they need to get ready to taunt, all they have to do is switch into bear form/toss on a shield and they're good to go. As long as they still have enough health to take the split brutal strike, they should still be fine.
Loendoran

Postby Mordinm » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 am

A cat that got hit by brutal swipe would be a dead cat. A tank without a shield losses a huge amount of armor and trying to dps with a sheild out would rage too fast.
Mordinm

Postby Lookit » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:32 pm

The only conceivable reason for doing this would be:

A) Showing off

B) Trying to eek out every last bit of DPS in an attempt at a world-record speed run, to the extent that you place the OT behind the boss to prevent his attacks from being parried, which is a truly miniscule amount of DPS when compared to the huge damage increase to the MT

C) Ignorance of the boss mechanics. Pity the poor healers in *that* run :P
Lookit

Postby fizikz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:31 pm

could you do this for bear form though? i was wondering about that today when i didnt see him swiping in bear. it's really not worth it, i was curious though
Sexual Harassment is the new Purple.
-Vanifae
fizikz

Postby Amirya » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:30 pm

He doesn't do a swipe/cleave in bear form that I've ever noticed.

What we usually do, since it's usually my bear and me:

Bear tanks human form. We split cleave damage.

I tank bear form. Druid pops out and drops HoTs on me to carry me through the silences. At about 8 seconds, druid goes back to bear form, and commences with the taunt/tank at switch.

Works great.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Cearn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:27 am

A druid I've been running with actually got max DoTs running during bear phase, including Moonfire, the kitty DoTs and Lacerate. He had to pot mana in the second or third phase to do that, but it was fun to watch.^^
Cearn

Postby Stings » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:57 am

Worldie wrote:I don't see any reason to not split the damage other than not knowing it splits. 13k damage is a lot in a 10 men.

I have my warrior tank go to the back so i can gain some mana. If we spilt it ill go oom :<
Stings

Postby Cearn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 am

Stings wrote:
Worldie wrote:I don't see any reason to not split the damage other than not knowing it splits. 13k damage is a lot in a 10 men.

I have my warrior tank go to the back so i can gain some mana. If we spilt it ill go oom :<

Pot? Anyways, it's such a short fight those extra 600ish mana now and then shouldn't actually matter. If they matter, you should rethink your gear for the encounter (stack hit for extra safety or stack spd for higher threat).
Well, if you farm it anyways and can be lazy about it, it might be valid. But it's just so pimp... oO
Cearn

Postby Tellysaren » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 am

Tried ZA for the first time, no one knew the boss cleaved, just that he needed one tank for each form...warrior kept splatting, and we never did find out why until the next day.
Tellysarena-Level 80
Human Paladin-0-53-18 Protection
Jewelcrafter/Miner
Lightbringer-<Reincarnation>

With a shield big enough, I can tank the World.
Tellysaren

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Tellysaren wrote:Tried ZA for the first time, no one knew the boss cleaved, just that he needed one tank for each form...warrior kept splatting, and we never did find out why until the next day.
Better than my very first za raid, no my warlock, and the raid leader decided that the damage would be split with a ROGUE.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:30 pm

Unfortunately I didnt have webstats running but on a run last week my co-tank died actually on the transition from bear to human with him at around 40%. We have never had issues with bear for a long time so I think the healers may have been asleep or maybee I was a fraction late with taunt really cant say.

What was funny is we assumed it was going to be a wipe and as we were doing a chest timer run that would have ended it and we might as well clear the trash etc (we soothed the bear to get past) so I was standing there tanking waiting to die no point in resetting. We were all actually discussing what to we were going to do and bear transition came and I am standing there still waiting for my death that passes and he transitions back to troll. It was like WTF I am still alive and so everyone resumed max dps and we got thru.

I tanked both phases without any stress for multiple changes and 2 decent but not ubber healers.

Now I don't think I am ubber or anything I think I am smelling a subtle nerf from blizz because I am sure I used to get smashed before in that situation.

Just from what I was seeing I wasnt taking hits greater than 8K and I am sure they used to be 11-13K. It almost looks like the big swipe is now mitigated by armour.

I can tell you don't try this on lynx boss my co-tank went to hit totem this week and he moved ... I got 1 shotted with a 18K face plant.
ldeboer

Postby caboom » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:38 am

At the point where you have the healers to heal a tank getting a full brutal swipe your dps is that bad that you want to squeeze every bit of dps out of ur OT spot? Something is wrong there if u ask me.
caboom

Next

Return to Zul'aman