Boss Order

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Boss Order

Postby honorshammer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

After Curator do you go straight to Illhoof since he's the next one you come across or Aran since he has so much dang trash, or go to Chess since it's basically free and loot and then do Prince since he's right there.

We've tried Illhoof, and Prince but didn't fair too well against either. It was a real eye opener to go from owning the place to getting owned in the space of 45 minutes worht of trash.

Who should we "learn" next.
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 am

They're all pretty tough, I would recommend going for Aran next since killing him means a lot less trash to worry about during learning attempts on the other bosses. Might as well make sure you're getting chess in every week though for the free loot.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Elcure » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 am

I'd say Aran after curator. It open the way for a "second" night without too much trash. Then feel free to go wherever you want to go. Unless you do it in one night, then the order as no importance since you would never fight repop.

Might as well make sure you're getting chess in every week though for the free loot.

QFT, if you dont have much time and aren't planning to come back before reset then go for chess first.
Elcure

Re: Boss Order

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Honorshammer wrote:Who should we "learn" next.

If you're having problems at that juncture (the second 2/3rds of Kara), I'd recommend killing Aran so you can teleport to his room while working on Illhoof, Nspite and Prince.

So, Curator -> Chess (yay free purples) -> Aran, Illhoof, Nspite, Prince.

Prince is really a gear check; we had some trouble with him the first two weeks because we'd get owned by Elementals around minute 6. It should be a 5 minute fight. Quarters start getting reaaaally tight at the 5:30 mark.

Netherspite is a Raid Intelligence test (with a bit of a DPS gear check thrown in because of the 9 minute enrage): can people run to places without running through places they really ought not be running?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 pm

I appreciate the responses. Most of us have not "raided" before. I don't think I can communicate what my team was going through. It was like we played the first half and we were up 14-0, only to come out of the locker room at half and be down 35-14 by the start of the 4th quarter.
honorshammer

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Honorshammer wrote:I appreciate the responses. Most of us have not "raided" before. I don't think I can communicate what my team was going through. It was like we played the first half and we were up 14-0, only to come out of the locker room at half and be down 35-14 by the start of the 4th quarter.

My guild is in the same boat. We can get 12 people online who are keyed, but only 2 tanks and 2 healers so if one of those 4 aren't around no running.

Our first serious attempt on Aran got him to 16%. We haven't been abck since due to real life interrupts.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby adese » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:03 pm

When we first killed Curator, but hadn't mastered Aran or Prince yet, we would always try Aran next. On the last scheduled Kara day of the week, we would head to Chess if we weren't able to kill Aran.

While it would be tempting to head right for Prince due to his uber drops, it really is a good idea to get Aran out of the way first. Not only do you have less trash to worry about respawning (magic immune mobs FTL), but you get a shorter run back with the teleport up to Aran's room from the doorman.
adese

Postby Glam » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm

My guild hasn't had the right group makeup for shutting down Aran's abilities. Because of that, we skip him and go on to Illhoof (which is really easy with a pally tank and a Warlock spamming Seed of Corruption), then Chess, then attempts on Prince. Sadly, we have only gotten him down to 5% a couple times.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am... PALADIN!"
Armory - http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... ore&n=Glam

Glam
Lvl 80 Dwarf Paladin
Proudmore
Glam

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Glam wrote:My guild hasn't had the right group makeup for shutting down Aran's abilities. Because of that, we skip him and go on to Illhoof (which is really easy with a pally tank and a Warlock spamming Seed of Corruption), then Chess, then attempts on Prince. Sadly, we have only gotten him down to 5% a couple times.

You don't need "the right group" for Aran

How to do Aran:

#1 Learn not to move in flame wreath

#2 Learn to move out of blizzard.

#3 Learn to run away from his Magnetpull/AoE

Once you have that the rest is summed up as following:

IF you are interrupting him...Have someone CC two of the elementals and either heal through or kill the other two.

IF you are NOT interrupting him...Let him run out of mana BEFORE elementals spawn. (*hold dps if you have to) Your healers need to do their best to make sure everyone is near topped off right before he's out of mana. (*this is not nearly as hard as it sounds)

Give everyone a healthstone or a nightmare seed. AS SOON AS everyone gets the pyro...they are to use that item (*spam the key for it)
If they haver over 7500 hp...they will live and be fine...we usually have our druid tranq one party and the other healer AoE heal the other party) then take the elementals out and finish him.

He is completely do-able with any party makeup as long as you are prepared to hand out a healing item for the mass sheep/pyro

Oddly enough both of the guilds that I do aran with use the 2nd method of not bothering to interrupt him...counter to almost all strats I've seen.
DeadMilliken

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:00 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:Your healers need to do their best to make sure everyone is near topped off right before he's out of mana. (*this is not nearly as hard as it sounds)

Being sheeped heals you to full, if I recall correctly.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Everlight » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 pm

We use a ... strange ... order. We actually have a lot more trouble with Aran than with Prince, and our raids are highly time limited and split into three sessions. So we typically do this;

1st session: Moroes, Attumen
2nd session: Opera, Curator, Maiden (if time permits)
3rd session: Maiden, Aran, Chess, Prince, Illhoof

If it looks like we're going to have trouble with Aran, we instead do Maiden -> Chess -> Prince -> Aran for the third session.

The aim with the 1st and 2nd sessions is to guarantee progression for the the next session first before hitting optional stuff, and the objective with the 3rd session is to always have enough time to hit Chess and Prince regardless of what happens with Aran.
Everlight

Postby corc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Everlight wrote:We use a ... strange ... order. We actually have a lot more trouble with Aran than with Prince, and our raids are highly time limited and split into three sessions. So we typically do this;

1st session: Moroes, Attumen
2nd session: Opera, Curator, Maiden (if time permits)
3rd session: Maiden, Aran, Chess, Prince, Illhoof

If it looks like we're going to have trouble with Aran, we instead do Maiden -> Chess -> Prince -> Aran for the third session.

The aim with the 1st and 2nd sessions is to guarantee progression for the the next session first before hitting optional stuff, and the objective with the 3rd session is to always have enough time to hit Chess and Prince regardless of what happens with Aran.

good method, and not so strange of an order. Although, my group makes sure to do maiden quickly so as to not get an accidental pull through the wall while fighting nightbane.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Swagger » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:20 pm

I've always done Aran after Curator, simply because of the abundance of trash. It really becomes a hindrance to have to reclear it repeatedly. After Aran you can go wherever, Netherspite/Chess/Ilhoof are all close.
Swagger

Postby Glam » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:07 am

DeadMilliken wrote:
Glam wrote:My guild hasn't had the right group makeup for shutting down Aran's abilities. Because of that, we skip him and go on to Illhoof (which is really easy with a pally tank and a Warlock spamming Seed of Corruption), then Chess, then attempts on Prince. Sadly, we have only gotten him down to 5% a couple times.

You don't need "the right group" for Aran

How to do Aran:

IF you are NOT interrupting him...Let him run out of mana BEFORE elementals spawn. (*hold dps if you have to) Your healers need to do their best to make sure everyone is near topped off right before he's out of mana. (*this is not nearly as hard as it sounds)

Give everyone a healthstone or a nightmare seed. AS SOON AS everyone gets the pyro...they are to use that item (*spam the key for it)
If they haver over 7500 hp...they will live and be fine...we usually have our druid tranq one party and the other healer AoE heal the other party) then take the elementals out and finish him.

He is completely do-able with any party makeup as long as you are prepared to hand out a healing item for the mass sheep/pyro

Oddly enough both of the guilds that I do aran with use the 2nd method of not bothering to interrupt him...counter to almost all strats I've seen.

Yeah, we haven't had the group make up for the interupts. Thanks for the tip. This sounds like a good way to get around that.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am... PALADIN!"
Armory - http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... ore&n=Glam

Glam
Lvl 80 Dwarf Paladin
Proudmore
Glam

Postby Tybalt » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:19 pm

Night One:
Moroes, Opera, Curator, Shade, Chess, Prince (and Illhoof if we have time).

Night Two:
Attumen, Maiden, Nightbane

We don't even both with Netherspite yet, as we'll add him to night two once we have Nightbane down reliably.

-Ty
Tybalt

Next

Return to General Strats