weaponspeed: now completely agnostic?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Melathys » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:33 am

playing around on ptr and the target dummy using amani punisher and breeching comet...

...my general impression is this. HotR hits about 2-300dmg harder with comet. but amani punish makes up for it with bigger judgements (1-200 more) bigger consecrate 11-12 per tick, so 84ish overall...that alone makes up for the difference. Add holy shield, ret aura (both of which I believe scales more with spell power, but I can't test it vs target dummy), avenger shield (haven't managed to test the difference on that yet).

As it stands, I'm liking spell power weapons. I hear a lot of the extreme lag is fixed on ptr, so I'll be back and playing with target dummy after work, lol.
Melathys

Postby Andox » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 am

I find it hard to play on dummys, I run OOM so quick!
Andox

Postby Obrimos » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:39 am

halabar wrote:
Candiru wrote:I meant agnostic :p

Agnostic means undecided or outside the scope of something. If I am agnostic towards salt on my chips, it means I don't care either way. Same with threat and weaponspeed :p

agnostic would be closer to the Pie is a Lie.

No, Agnostic is not having an opinion on said pie either way, but generally believing the pie to be a fantasy.
Obrimos

Postby Mex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:42 am

Ambulance. Weapon speed is ambulance.

But yeah, weapon speed can't really be agnostic. You can be agnostic regarding it but .... but there are better places to discuss semantics than this thread :) Or rather, there are better things to dicuss in this thread than semantics :)

... damnit.
Mex

Postby halabar » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:48 am

Melathys wrote:playing around on ptr and the target dummy using amani punisher and breeching comet...

...my general impression is this. HotR hits about 2-300dmg harder with comet. but amani punish makes up for it with bigger judgements (1-200 more) bigger consecrate 11-12 per tick, so 84ish overall...that alone makes up for the difference. Add holy shield, ret aura (both of which I believe scales more with spell power, but I can't test it vs target dummy), avenger shield (haven't managed to test the difference on that yet).

As it stands, I'm liking spell power weapons. I hear a lot of the extreme lag is fixed on ptr, so I'll be back and playing with target dummy after work, lol.

But it is sounding like from other tests there that either:

1) it's situational, perhaps melee for questing, and SD for sustained fights

2) that what you are comparing is a better class of gear Arm Pun > Comet > S1 Mace

I'm sure the math inclined types here can come up with a formula to plug your weapon's stats into and find out what is best..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Moses » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:53 am

halabar wrote:
Melathys wrote:playing around on ptr and the target dummy using amani punisher and breeching comet...

But it is sounding like from other tests there that either:

1) it's situational, perhaps melee for questing, and SD for sustained fights

2) that what you are comparing is a better class of gear Arm Pun > Comet > S1 Mace

I'm sure the math inclined types here can come up with a formula to plug your weapon's stats into and find out what is best..

Though Spell Damage weapons are technically better right now I think most people are leaning towards mitigation weapons currently. Our threat (at least after SotR) seems to be fine but gaps are open in our mitigation. Personally I will probably have both a threat weapon and a mitigation weapon and swap them out per encounter as needed. I'll actually probably just use my healing weapon with a spell power enchant for my threat weapon. Though usually I don't think it would be worth switchin in fight, I'm sure I will find fights where the damage builds up over time (or a % based enrage) where I'll be able to get extra threat out of the threat weapon and just switch before the change.
Moses

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:55 am

Also, if you are short of mana and not using consecration that much, you might be better of with a DPS weapon.

Although, with Divine Plea and BoSanc, I can't really see that happening. Unless you get manaburn or something.
Candiru

Postby Mavrix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:35 am

Moses wrote:Though Spell Damage weapons are technically better right now I think most people are leaning towards mitigation weapons currently.

If you look again at the table, PsiVen has edited it. Not all spell damage weapons are superior to melee weapons. It is very item dependent. I think he posted there was a mistake in his math previously. Of course, all of this is completely subject to change and likely will change with the next beta push when they shuffle things around on us.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby enbee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 am

White damage.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Previous

Return to WotLK