Remove Advertisements

weaponspeed: now completely agnostic?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Base » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:30 am

Jensaarai wrote:
Valentear wrote:On PTR currently (The very buggy PTR, not Beta) there is about a 200 damage difference between my Hammer of Judgement and my Breeching Comet. From what I can tell, weapon speed makes a difference.

Hammer of Judgement
Binds when picked up
Main Hand Mace
19 - 129 Damage
Speed 1.80
(41.3 damage per second)
+33 Stamina
+22 Intellect
Durability 105 / 105
Requires Level 70
Equip: Improves hit rating by 22 (1.4% @ L70).
Equip: Increases spell power by 236.

Breeching Comet
Binds when picked up
One-Hand Axe
167 - 312 Damage
Speed 2.60
(92.1 damage per second)
+18 Agility
+15 Stamina
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +4 Attack Power
Durability 105 / 105
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases attack power by 40.

With a 50 DPS difference I sure hope you're seeing a difference.

Moved your bolds slightly - that's where his extra 200 damage comes from. As for getting pink lollypops and ZA maces, I thought we'd pretty much confirmed that unless you are going to be tanking 4+ mobs then you are better off with a high dps melee weapon, rather than a spell damage weapon.

So daemonym instead of looking for the ZA mace or lollypop I'd start looking for a kings defender, sun eater or one of the weapons from the second bosses in MH and BT.
Base

Postby Mordinm » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:42 am

Base wrote:
Moved your bolds slightly - that's where his extra 200 damage comes from. As for getting pink lollypops and ZA maces, I thought we'd pretty much confirmed that unless you are going to be tanking 4+ mobs then you are better off with a high dps melee weapon, rather than a spell damage weapon.

So daemonym instead of looking for the ZA mace or lollypop I'd start looking for a kings defender, sun eater or one of the weapons from the second bosses in MH and BT.

Acording to what's been posted on this site you've got it wrong. Hammer damage depends only on weapon dps and is completely independant of Weapon Speed. So a 1.9 speed tanking weapon with 90 dps would hit for the exact same value as a 2.6 speed 90 dps rogue main hand type weapon. Even though those 2 weapon would have very different damage ranges listed.
Mordinm

Postby Hairlock » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:42 am

How bout Cleaver of the Unforgiving from Zul'jin??

Cleaver of the Unforgiving
Binds when picked up
One-Hand Axe
110 - 205 Damage Speed 1.60
(98.4 damage per second)
+31 Stamina
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +3 Stamina
Durability 105 / 105
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases your parry rating by 20 (0.85% @ L70).
Equip: Improves hit rating by 12 (0.76% @ L70)
Last edited by Hairlock on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hairlock

Postby Jensaarai » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 am

Mordinm wrote:
Base wrote:

Acording to what's been posted on this site you've got it wrong. Hammer damage depends only on weapon dps and is completely independant of Weapon Speed. So a 1.9 speed tanking weapon with 90 dps would hit for the exact same value as a 2.6 speed 90 dps rogue main hand type weapon. Even though those 2 weapon would have very different damage ranges listed.

This, this post is about HotR, not weapon swing damage...I thought.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 am

Just to confirm on beta my

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=34009
and
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=34896
hit for EXACTLY the same damage with HotR.

The base damage seems to make no difference unlike other normalised abilities like sinister strike.

Also, the gavel has +healing rather than +spelldamage which is worth +43 spellpower not +40!

Although the lack of hit might make it worse, I haven't decided yet.
Candiru

Postby Norrath » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:51 am

Base wrote:Moved your bolds slightly - that's where his extra 200 damage comes from.

Actually, it isn't. Currently HotR is based on weapon DPS, not weapon damage range.

Base wrote:As for getting pink lollypops and ZA maces, I thought we'd pretty much confirmed that unless you are going to be tanking 4+ mobs then you are better off with a high dps melee weapon, rather than a spell damage weapon.

For threat? No, we're not. The only things a high DPS melee weapon increases is white damage and HotR.

Unless it has sufficient AP or STR, you're better off at 70 with an SP weapon -- for threat.

Seeing as threat isn't an issue, though, a mitigation/avoidance weapon would probably serve you better overall, though.
Norrath

Postby Mishdorf » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 am

I did some testing tonight with the breeching comet, the 1.5 speed rogue sword that also drops from kael in H MGT and my s1 sd mace.

the breeching comet hit for around 1-2 holy damage more than the sword, and around 175 damage more than the mace.

The mace boosted all of my other spells more than either the comet or the sword, however, not by a huge amount.

Given that this is the case, and assuming that shor is not effected by spell damage greatly, I would say that a higher dps weapon will give you better aggro.

Then again, the only weapon I had enchanted was the s1 mace (40 SD enchant).

So my recommendation is that if you are looking for an easy to get weapon for prot leveling in wotlk, grab either the breeching comet or the rogue sword from kael in H MGT or wait for a dps weapon from northrend.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby Mex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:56 am

Melathys wrote:ag·nos·tic

/ægˈnɒstɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ag-nos-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
–adjective
3. of or pertaining to agnostics or agnosticism.
4. asserting the uncertainty of all claims to knowledge.

I assume he meant aesthetic :)
Mex

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:00 am

I meant agnostic :p

Agnostic means undecided or outside the scope of something. If I am agnostic towards salt on my chips, it means I don't care either way. Same with threat and weaponspeed :p
Candiru

Postby Mavrix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:05 am

Candiru wrote:I meant agnostic :p

Agnostic means undecided or outside the scope of something. If I am agnostic towards salt on my chips, it means I don't care either way. Same with threat and weaponspeed :p

No. You meant ambivalent.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 am

but ambivalent isn't a paladin word!
Candiru

Postby halabar » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am

agnostic would be closer to the Pie is a Lie.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Jensaarai » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 am

Mavrix wrote:

No. You meant ambivalent.

^
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Karock » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 am

Base wrote:Moved your bolds slightly - that's where his extra 200 damage comes from. As for getting pink lollypops and ZA maces, I thought we'd pretty much confirmed that unless you are going to be tanking 4+ mobs then you are better off with a high dps melee weapon, rather than a spell damage weapon.

Prease try to listen. Hammer of the Righteous depends on weapon dps now, only. Please don't spread false information D=
Karock

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 am

No, you meant ambidextrous. I'm 99% sure.
I rule.
moduspwnens

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK