Avoidance problem on Prince, need some advice

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby StopPokingMe » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 pm

*scratches head*
I have no clue how anything could pass up a pally tank on this fight. Just to set the record straight, you said you were using improved devotion aura....... So my next question is did you spec into that or did a holy pally have that in your group. If you specced into that you should go check out the talent threads because that would be your problem.

On this fight your retribution aura alone should give you amazing threat just because how fast prince swings. Add in DMC V and you should be 10-20K threat above anyone before phase 2 starts(with a good rotation). When Phase 2 starts I start using max rank consecrates because you are going to take massive damage and the healers will have to work extra hard to keep you up, thus keeping your mana pool full. I can't use the mana fast enough.

In my rotation for this fight I downrank consecrate because exorcism gives incredible threat. With you available health you should have no problems with this fight. I've maintanked him with under 15K health buffed when I was still mostly Blue.
StopPokingMe

Postby Zx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:37 pm

also, make sure that you dont stand right on any walls because prince has been known to miss consecrates due to some stupid issues. be out a couple steps or so and all should be golden there.

if you have threat problems run JoTC for extra threat when needed.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby Pizbit » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 pm

To be fair I potted twice my first time tanking Prince >.>
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby caboom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:14 am

spell dmg trinket is your friend ;)

if ur a fan of moroes pocketwatch, i can tell u it's not needed there.
caboom

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:00 pm

*scratching my head also*

when i first started tanking prince i had aggro issues as my unbuffed spellpower was only 180.
But now its 374 and i have no problems.
Easily 20K+ ahead of the DPS'ers.
And thats even with me stopping autoattack for phase2. just HS, consecrate and exorcism.

My armour/health isnt quite as good as you, but still dont come close in running out of mana either. And thats with fulltime rank 6 consecrate.

Whats the average DPS of your DPS'ers?
Do your hunters use MissDirect whenever its cooled down?
Do you use wizard oil/greater arcane elixirs to boost spellpower?

In our guild yes im expected to generate as much TPS as possible, but the DPS is also expected to A. Have omen installed. B. Know how to use it. C. USE IT.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby HannahBelle » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:37 am

Honestly, if I am having mana issues I will just let holy shield fall off during phase two. I just watch my bar closely and if I get below 40% life I usually just slap HS back on.

Last night, I was forced to let HS fall off during Prince and Nightbane for mana reasons.
HannahBelle

Postby Palytanker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am

I would switch out some of your dodge gear for block gear if you can, serves two purposes. One, it allows you to get hit more often for the healing mana regen, two, blocks generate threat with holy shield. I use Dabria's Engima (spl?) for the prince fight and pop it everytime it is up, helps with threat alot and has decent def on it to free up some room to stack spell damage/intel.

It sounds to me like you are having the normal placement issues with him, I have never come close to running out of mana. When I get low, let HS drop for a cycle and reapply. Threat can be an issue if you don't place him right and lose all the damage from your consecrate. Also, tell the dps to learn to manage threat. sure stopping casting if your aggro drop gets resisted slows down a fight, but not as much as the tank getting enfeebled or prince running into the group and killing a few dps and healers.
Palytanker

Postby majiben » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Palytanker wrote:I would switch out some of your dodge gear for block gear if you can, serves two purposes. One, it allows you to get hit more often for the healing mana regen, two, blocks generate threat with holy shield. I use Dabria's Engima (spl?) for the prince fight and pop it everytime it is up, helps with threat alot and has decent def on it to free up some room to stack spell damage/intel.

I'm sorry but your advice is bad. On any boss capable of killing you quickly you should not stack block. If you need mana regen on the first half of price drop JoW and pop mana pots or change some avoidance gear for stamina to soak hits. Holyshield threat is a poor poor reason to stack block. If you need threat get spelldamage. The enigma is not in anyway a threat trinket and using has no effect if you keep holy shield up. And if you don't keep holyshield up you are going to be crushed several times.

Never stack intellect ever. A full 2k more mana will give you 40 seconds more of your full threat rotation. You should never spec into divine intellect. Put 3 of those points into percision and the last two into either reckoning or improved judgements.

If you have a good set of heroics gear (high mitigation and spelldamage) put it fon for kara, It's what I do for my kara and I put a half and half set on for ZA timed for all bosses but dragonhawk (fireresist) and lynx (saber lash hurts :-().
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Previous

Return to Karazhan