M'uru Guide with a Paladin Side Tank

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Currently on my side we just randomly pewpew the mage, he doesn't even have time to get the buff.

The other side where they use a druid, they stunlock / chainkick it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Mithos » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Yeah that's why I suggest mage first, because if you are on a side with just melee then you gonna have a hard time removing that buff - if it's your first DPS target it won't get the buff unless someone dies/something goes very wrong. If however you have a mage, no problem leaving it up I suppose.

The other side kills zerker zerker mage, sheeping the non kill targets. The mages spellsteal the buff, pyro the mob and M'uru a few times then continue normally.

I'll fraps this weeks kill and upload it, will hopefully be of help to someone.
Mithos

Postby Arquine » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 pm

well we've finally broke through a wall when our GM finally gave me the chance to tank a side.

so now our setup's 2 prot warriors + 2 prot paladins. I was constantly sitting at <40% health but Ardent Defence , to me felt like having almost 100% uptime :P

Then again, the entrance side seem have issue with loose mobs killing people. wonder if I should switch sides.

atleast no more tank deaths (a)
Arquine

Postby Usul » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey all, I have some questions about Door tanking. I'm having issues with an add running past me when they come in staggered and I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand on this issue in particular. I'm downloading Stings' video now, so maybe the answer is in his video.

Gear, avoidance, threat, yada yada not an issue. I have 18.5k HP up to 20.5 with Shadowmoon trinket or Nightmare seed, 43%-45% dodge (more with moroes trinket active) 21% parry and almost 9% chance to be missed. ~ 450 spell damage depending on buffs. These stats are of course fully raid buffed, elixirs, food and scrolls. I'm logged out in my "threat" gear though, but I know there was a few of you who wanted to see set recommendations, so I will logout later (and post) in my M'uru set so people can get a chance to see it. Mana, dying, threat, dps is never a problem, thankfully, so I find this to be a good set.

Also, to max avoidance and mitigation I use AGI food, Bloodberry Elixer, AGI and Protection scrolls and about 3-5 Iron Shield pots per attempt, which is slightly contrary to the strat posted here. But, as was mentioned, make the adjustments that work best for you.

So anyway, I take the far door on Kil'Jadens side, which I've found to be much easier because you can target the mobs from far away and prepare your Avengers Shield. Most of the time they all come in together, I toss my shield Captain America style and bigity-bam, they are all on me with no threat issue.

The problem though, is when they come out staggered. Where, either 1 mob will come before the other two, or vise versa. I try to make the adjustment but for some reason my attacks either miss the targets or they just plain ignore them because occasionally they will just run right by and kill someone.

The solutions I've tried:
Scenario 1: 2 mobs then 1.
In this case, I usually throw my avengers shield at the first two and then judge the third. This usually works but occasionally the third mob will completely ignore the judgment and just keep on running. I'm positive it didn't get resisted. Not really sure why this happens. He's also hard to target with two other mobs in your face, despite my screen being zoomed out pretty far.

Scenario 2: 1 mob then 2.
This is the tougher one, especially when that first mob is a zerker. Yesterday I started judging the first one and then trying to Avengers shield the second set, but push back is a factor. I can't believe I didn't think of it until after the fight, but I should probably judge and then HoJ the first guy, THEN shield, to help avoid the push back.

I'm hoping to improve the both of the above scenarios and any extra tips you have would be great to hear. Also, if any of you have any smart, well geared hunters (horde) that are on, or what to transfer to Hyjal, PST!!! :lol:. Reason being, a frost trap at the door would likely solve the staggered issue, but we rarely have more then 1 hunter online and he's usually on the other side. We've also tried Frost nova... mages would die, Earthbind totems... Shaman would die or forget and Rank 1 Blizzard but none of our mages have more then 1 point in the slowing effect for it. Plus, it kills their DPS time obviously.

Edit: I forgot to note, they run right through consecration too, sometimes come back but sometimes kill someone before they do, so I didn't find consecration to be flawless for initial agro.

Any additional tips anyone has for helping in the staggered situations would be greatly appreciated.
Usul <The Fabled> of Hyjal (US)
Usul

Postby Stings » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:30 pm

I use consecration/earthbind. Works like a charm. If one runs past (which only happens if you placed cons too close to them), i taunt it and im back in business.
Im on the other side than you are, so i dunno how cons would work at your place. I lay my consecration so it just touches the area where they stop after entering, that gives you another tick compared to if they were already running.
Stings

Postby Usul » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah I just watched your video and noticed that about your concs specifically. I used to tank that side but kept having trouble with mobs getting passed me, so the druid and I swapped. I'll have to run a bit farther up to drop conc on the other side (to get the tip right next to the invisible wall) but I think that will help a lot.

The problem I had where taunt didn't work is, most of the time if they run it's to a Shadow Priest clear across the room, where taunt on him was OOR. Hopefully this new trick makes it so they don't run past me.
Usul

Postby fafhrd » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:45 pm

with the hp nerfs it really doesn't seem necessary to tank the mage at all if you're willing to kill it first - our door side a ret pally or ms warrior picks it up while the tank (a warrior) works on the 2 zerkers, and they burn the mage down first. far side the druid taps it and doesn't get back to it immediately while intercept + kidney shots keep it in place.

we used a pally for a side for a while, but eventually switched to having him tank the sentinel + void spawns - we usually have 3 hunters available to MD him if a sentinel spawns on the other side of the room, and simplified a lot of other things for us. Only tricky thing is him being out of range of grounding totem sometimes when he's moving to taunt a sentinel he isn't getting an MD for.

Ursul, regarding the adds getting away from you, i'm the hunter on the side with our feral, and every now and then a zerker will get by him - usually i shoot it a couple times to bring it back to him, and hope some combination of FD+taunt+bash+intercept get it off me before it reaches me. But if you're saying you don't have a hunter on your side that probably doesn't help :S

We very rarely drop frost traps though, had problems with hunters getting gibbed by the mage when we did, and the tanks almost always pick up the mobs without traps anyway.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Stings » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:57 pm

Usul wrote:Yeah I just watched your video and noticed that about your concs specifically. I used to tank that side but kept having trouble with mobs getting passed me, so the druid and I swapped. I'll have to run a bit farther up to drop conc on the other side (to get the tip right next to the invisible wall) but I think that will help a lot.

The problem I had where taunt didn't work is, most of the time if they run it's to a Shadow Priest clear across the room, where taunt on him was OOR. Hopefully this new trick makes it so they don't run past me.

Again, in my side I only have to run ~10 yards close to the middle in order to taunt of ppl on the other side =). I would really recommend swapping sides, because warrior/druids have it alot easier on the KJ side, and entry side is truly easy as pala. I can't say anything about KJ side since I've never tanked it ;-)
I keep the fury mage up as the last mob, I hardly pay any attention to it after I've picked it up. My shaman handles interruption of 80%+ of the fire balls with Earthshock and Grounding Totem, and a mage spellsteals the buff for dmg. This way its also alot easier for dps to go nuts on the first add since you do alot more threat on Berserkers compared to Mages because of Holy Shield.
Stings

Postby Nortauk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Most everything that can be said about this encounter has already been said. But I'm going to put in my two cents worth anyway. We just finished our third-ish night working on M'uru and we've gotten him down to 27% (Phase I). I tank the Humanoid packs on the KJ side of M'uru's room with a rotation something like this:

i) Target the first of the three mobs to come through the invisi-wall and smash his face with my shield.

ii) Drop a consecrate where they pause and use my /target macro to HoJustice the Fury Mage.

iii) Rogue generates 5 combo points and drops a kidney shot, while the warrior mindlessly slams all of his buttons with his face.

iv) After the Kidney shot, the Mage is damn near dead, thus effectively the healing is no different than if the Mage was sheeped (the strategy we originally employed)

v) Drag the last two Berserkers away from the invisi-wall, DPS them down, and prepare to target the next humanoid to pop out of the wall.

Because Hammer of Justice is on a 1-minute cooldown, it's perfect to set up each wave of adds. Generally the only threat issue we encounter is the rogue on the mage (who coincidentally also has this nifty 1 minute cooldown to negate magic damage - who knew?)

As far as gear goes, I use my standard Avoidance set. 34% Dodge, 20% Parry, and 24% Block with 20.5k HP after full raid-buffs. The last point I'd like to make is that in case you do run into some issues with taking too much damage for your healers to keep up with, Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch is an excellent out for you to get topped back off and to let your healer(s) get back on top of things.
Nortauk

Postby Elsie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 pm

i) Target the first of the three mobs to come through the invisi-wall and smash his face with my shield.
ii) Drop a consecrate where they pause and use my /target macro to HoJustice the Fury Mage.
iii) Rogue generates 5 combo points and drops a kidney shot, while the warrior mindlessly slams all of his buttons with his face.
iv) After the Kidney shot, the Mage is damn near dead, thus effectively the healing is no different than if the Mage was sheeped (the strategy we originally employed)
v) Drag the last two Berserkers away from the invisi-wall, DPS them down, and prepare to target the next humanoid to pop out of the wall.

I have no idea why you're anywhere near the invisi-wall and not closer to m'uru if you're on the KJ side? I highly suggest you switch to a specialized /target macro instead of 'target first of three.'

Also, your side would benefit more from the warrior opening with intercept followed by the 5 point kidney. Hammer of Justice is stronger when used on a berserker with flurry.
Elsie

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:50 pm

The best spot I've found to stand (far side) is just to the left or right of where they pause, Consecrate first and AS as they become targetable. If you're to the side a bit, it won't matter if they run past for a split second as they'll still be in front of you when they turn. For the mage, it's safer to have the warrior Disarm it so that you can use your stun on a berserker.

Also, if your side is behind in this positioning you may be tempted to cast AS while you're still being hit; don't. It won't get off, and you'll die horribly.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Usul » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Here's what I wear for M'uru door tanking:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... jal&n=Usul

Other buffs:
Bloodberry elixir, Agi scroll, Armor Scroll, Agi Food, Devotion Aura. My group usually has WF up and it's a healer, so he can't twist, so I don't get an Agi totem. I used to have a 10 dodge gem in those gloves too, but I got the Fortress Grips that I thought I was going to use those for this. Threat seemed to be an issue though, and I lost the 4 piece conc bonus.

Checking these same stats in the beta, same gear, we're loosing about 6-8% avoidance on some of this gear :cry: I might have to wear these instead: (but even then that's only slightly more then a 2% increase)

Borderland Fortress Grips
Hands - Plate
66 Stamina
15 Agility - enchant
10 dodge gem
5 def, 7 stam gem
4 stam socket bonus
22 defense
36 dodge
29 parry
Usul

Postby Usul » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:18 pm

So now that I've gotten to test it out, I've confirmed that a consecration right at the tip of the invisible wall works like a charm. Thanks Stings!

I run up a few yards to the tip, lay the conc and run back and stand a little bit to the right of where they stop. Usually by that time I've already thrown a shiled at them as well, but there were several times when I didn't have time to, yet because of that first conc they stayed right there and came right for me. It's awesome!

I think I might actually swap back to the front door side again and swap with the Feral. We've been having some trouble with mobs getting passed him and I think I have a much better grasp on the front door then I originally did.
Usul

Postby Darus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:36 pm

personally

consecration down, mark the zerker, stun the mage..

go full avoidance/stamina -gear, threat is no issue. specc imp JotC and keep it solid on the nuketarget to fill up the loss of feral.

If you got a hunter in the group which you should have ask him nicely for traps, gives quite alott of extra ticks before they stop..
Darus

Postby Thark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:45 am

Has anyone else experienced a bug with Shadow Priests?

I tank the Entrance side. Twice now, a Shadow Priest on the other side of the room, attacking M'uru, has pulled a Berserker off of me. The adds run in, go through Consecrate, and attack me. But, one of the Berserkers has run off after a second or two after a Shadow Priest. I can immediately target him, but since the Priest is on the other side of the room, he's out of taunt range, so I can't do a thing about it.

It makes no sense why they are going after this specific Priest. They're not DPSing on my side, so they are doing nothing to generate aggro on the mob. Also, if the aggro was from Vampiric Embrace or something, wouldn't it be spread between all mobs, meaning both Berserkers should target him?

It's an odd and highly annoying bug I can't explain, but it happens very infrequently. It's not like it's a real big deal, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, or might be able to shed light on how a DPSer on the other side of the room not attacking the target can pull aggro from me.
Thark

PreviousNext

Return to Sunwell Plateau