Remove Advertisements

Starting Kara, scared of trash not bosses

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Starting Kara, scared of trash not bosses

Postby daemonym » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:15 am

So I’m about to start raiding Kara finally and have read on just about every strat I can get my mits on. For the most part I have all the general points memorized and will play the rest by ear depending on what the rest of the group is doing at the time. However all the mobs in between the bosses I have found next to nothing about what their abilities are or any difficult pulls where you can end up with 2 or fifty extra groups on you. So far the most I’ve found was the thread on the worms before curator. I still remember my first time wiping in Steamvaults when I got feared into 3 other groups because I didn’t know which mobs could fear. I’m a fast learner but I’m not psychic (still working on that whole osmosis thing)

So are there any specific mobs or pulls that I should be especially aware of or any abilities that are worth noting for a first timer?
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby bigdunka » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:32 am

Trash to Attumen: A couple of 4-5 pulls, nothing too dangerous. Plenty of ways to CC them, or if you are geared enough, I have AOE'd the groups and had an OT pull one mob off.

Trash to Moroes: As long as you don't pull the elite groups in the ball room, all of the big pulls are 70 non-elites and are easily AOE'd.

Trash to Maiden: More pulls like the Moroes pulls. There is one 4 pull in the hall that is kind of tricky due to the succubus but as long as you pull in the right order and avoid the 2 pats overlapping, it is easy.

Trash to Opera: There are 2 tricky pulls here. The Ushers can be dangerous if both tanks don't get threat as they will Ice Tomb at random and go for the next on the threat list and will 1 shot clothies. Make sure both tanks are 1-2 on the threat list or shackle one. There are 2 pulls with 2 of them and 1 pull with a single. The performers/stagehands can either be pulled up top or brought down below the opera stage and tanked down there if you fear overlapping or lack of moving space.

Trash to Curator: The Syphoners are the only tricky ones here, refer to the snakes you were talking about.

Trash to Illhoof/Shade: The groups with the mana guys(Can't think of the name) are easy dealt with but need to be stunned before they die or they will AOE. The big room with them can be half avoided by killing a few of them and going around the room. Also, the groups with the 4 undead shades can be AOE'd and focus on one target at a time. The trash room outside Illhoof can be a little tricky with all the little imps, but I usually just try to pull as many imps as possible, AOE them, and burn down the casters one at a time. The imps don't hit very hard.

Trash to Netherspite: All that is here are the Ethereals and they are pretty easy. Switch off with your two tanks so you don't get overloaded with the debuffs.

I can't think of any other pulls on the way to Prince that are tricky. And I may have missed one or two, but those are the tricker ones. The Usher pulls are the probably one of the toughest because both tanks need to get threat on both Ushers. Ok for a pally tank, hard for a warrior/druid and they cannot be taunted. They can be shackled if you have a priest.
bigdunka

Postby uke » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Only a few trash pulls that are really a pain.

The pulls up to Attumen are standard elites, but they progress from 2 at a time to 5 at a time. If you're still gearing up, split them between two tanks and shackle a few if you have priests. Nothing big.

Trash pulls to moroes are mostly mass non-elite undead pulls. Consecrate like a mad man, and win. There are a couple elite pulls that either make you drunk (everything gets fuzzy) and reduces your armor to 0 (healers need to be on the ball) or skeletal ushers that put a debuff on you that sporadically nullifes your armor for a couple minutes (bubble/unbubble to clear it).

Up to Opera, are single and double skeletal usher pulls. these ones can be a pain, as they'll periodically freeze you (hunter trap style) and go to something else to hit. Equip a PVP trinket if you have one to break it, or make a quick bubble on/off macro to break it. Helps to have two tanks sharing duties here.

In the backstage area before opera, the mobs will have a spotlight shine on them that increases attack speed/damage. Pull them out of the spotlight! They'll also sleep random party members, but it can be cleansed (get Decursive addon for kara, you'll use it a lot).

After Curator, there are two packs worthing noting. Big constructs that hit like trucks. Nothing special, just have your healers be on the ball as they can 2-3 shot even a well geared tank easily. There are also packs of worms that are IMMUNE to magic damage. You will not be able to hold aggro on the as a result. They don't hit hard so either have a warrior/druid tank them, or physical dps can just kill them down while getting beat on.

Up the ramp are packs of elementals that look like a big voidwalker with 2 smaller versions. The big one is nothing special. However, you need to stun the littles ones before they get killshoted, or they do a nasty AOE arcane blast upon death.

As you go up more ramps, you'll come across undead packs. If there's a "sorcerer" version of one of them, kill it first! If you're undergeared, shackles/turn evil provides some cc.

Before Illhoof, there is a room that's part imps, and part spell casters spread out. They don't hit 'too' hard, and it's one of my favorite pulls. Just run around, dropping consecrates on casters, excorcising imps, and just generally run around and piss off all the spread out mobs until they're dead :P .

After shade, there are a series of consortium guy pulls. They're spaced out far enough where you can pull them one at a time. However: 1. they're not tauntable so it sucks for your dps if they pull aggro and 2. they put stacking debuffs that reduce varios stats. Not a big deal, and you can always bubble out of the debuff b/w pulls.

After chess, there are a series of pulls of the little mutated guys (like in late botanica). They hit decently hard and you want to have a tank on each for the 2-pulls.

After that, you're at Prince, and you're done! :D
Last edited by uke on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
uke

Postby uke » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 am

LOL, me and big dunka typed up a response at the same time :P
uke

Postby daemonym » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:02 am

Hey thanks a lot for the fast reply /bookmark

I'm sure the RL will be reitterating some of this as we go on, but it's a nice feeling walking into something the frist time and not being 100% clueless. I'm decently geared with a few epics (goggles, DMC: V, SSO shield, belt of the guardian) so the aoe elite pulls shouldn't be too much of a problem. Knowing about the few that hit extra hard is a good thing, else I guarentee I'd have a lil 'oopsie' and grab two and get turned into purple ice cream.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby BubbaBill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:21 am

Most of the big stuff looks like it's already covered. I'll add a couple notes. Looks like you are proper gear level for the instance and not the massively outgearing that some here have so with that in mind.

Leading up to Attumen. The first few pulls are fairly easy 2-3 mobs. As you get closer to him the pulls get bigger. If you have a Ret or Holy pally have them fear one of the horses they hit fairly hard. Nail it with an exorcism before/while it's feared and it will always come back to you when the fear wears off. Be aware of the Chargers charge. Often when they go after ranged targets they come back to you and end up BEHIND you. Watch for it and reposition to get him infront again. Chargers hit hard and will take you down quickly from behind.

Leading to Moroes. The non-elites have ranged and mellee types. A good idea to break LoS on them. Easily done with the stairs breaking line of sight a few steps down.
The Elites have a tendancy to Mind control.
The skeleton looking guy's that pat does the brittle bones debuff that reduces your armor to 0. Good idea to mark all the pats in here before you start pulling.

Leading to Maiden. In the hall right before her a few things to watch. The guard looking types will summon dogs midway into the fight. Always keep down Consecrate to pick them up when summoned. You'll hear them whistle and 2 dogs will spawn.
The girls. Concubines seduce. Stun lock them if you are able to. Always fight to the right of the hall so that you don't have an accidental pull from one of the rooms.

Leading to Opera. Ushers are your big problem they will usually 1 shot clothies. Either have an offtank and/or have all range stand at max range and drop a hunter slow trap between you, and try to kite him around a bit till the freeze wears off. Hopefully you have a shackle for 1. They can NOT be feared or taunted.
I recomend pulling the audience for the rep and slight chance of purple drops they are all none elites and easy. Just don't grab the ushers in the corners. Pull them 2 groups at a time. Shield toss one group, exorcise the other and let everyone go AoE happy.
The actors up towards the stage. Watch for the pat. As mentioned before the static spawns will get a big Damage increase buff when the spotlight shines down on them. Move them out of the light. If the pat comes in be aware they net. And you won't be able to move out of the light. It is cleansable.

The Broken stairs. The spectral guys hit HARD. but they are single pulls and managable just make sure your healers know it's coming. Many underestimate them.
Double bot pull after the stairs. If you have an off tank use it here unless you really overgear they hit fairly hard. Make sure DPS watches for the debuff. They must run away from everyone else. I've found into the room is best when the debuff wears out the explode AoE damage so they have to be away from other raid members
Worms/Blueberries have been covered thouroughly.

After Curator
Bots hit hard but not to bad.
Worms are immune to magic. You will not be able to hold them. Have anyone who can taunt. Have all DPS/healers stand in a pile. Most peoples first reaction when the worm is on them is to try to run away making it longer and annoying to chase after them and kill.
Round library room with all the little blueberry type guys. 1 big one and 2-3 smalls. The big guy is no problem mark him for skull kill him first. Mark a DEFINATE kill order on all the little guys. The little guys must be stunned when the kill shot hit's them or they will explode. Watch out for the shades, they faze in and out and can occasionally surprise you during a pull.

Shades on the little platforms at the end of ramps. Use resistance auras here. I go for fire but there is plenty of spelldamage going around from all 4 schools. Again here if there is a ret/holly pally fear is a nice idea here. Don't try to do it yourself, they come in fast once you poke your head up over the ramp and you will get caught taking hits/pushback trying to fear.

Room with the 3 casters and imps. I usually like to pull them all the way up the ramp and around the corner to LoS group them all together.

Consortium type guys. Lot's of room to pull them 1 at a time. 1 will do very little damage and you will be tempted to just round them all up and go to town AoE style...bad idea take it slow and sure. Not sure why but there damage seems to grow exponentially the more that are on you. 2 at a time aren't bad but 3-4 will be very rough.

Between Chess/Prince. The mutants hit fairly hard and cleave. Make sure DPS is behind them. Not sure if they can be sheeped never tried.
Go to the right instead of left it's much faster and fewer pulls.
BubbaBill

Postby Losbullitt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Don't forget your holy shield.

Keep your cool and let the dps do their job.

It can get a little overwhelming at first but once you get into the swing of it, you'll be fine.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Groups have their own chemistry and their own way of doing things. Find out what they want to do. You should be fine imo... unless you run with a bad pug.
Losbullitt

Postby Feyray » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:19 pm

After shade, there are a series of consortium guy pulls. They're spaced out far enough where you can pull them one at a time. However: 1. they're not tauntable so it sucks for your dps if they pull aggro and 2. they put stacking debuffs that reduce varios stats. Not a big deal, and you can always bubble out of the debuff b/w pulls.

Is it possible to aoe tank these guys. I immagine that it's probably not possible if your in entry level gear, but mabye after your Kara/badge geard? Their all standing around in that room all bunched together. It just....looks....soo....tempting.
Feyray

Return to Karazhan