Remove Advertisements

PvP spec for Honor Farming?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

PvP spec for Honor Farming?

Postby Constantine » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:21 am

I am a fresh 70 and want to get the Merciless Gavel before I start tanking in earnest. I levelled as Ret and want know know that the best Spec for PvP is for grinding out some honor? I have a fairly decent set of healing gear, and a pretty good (mostly blues) set of Ret gear. I know you can pick up that 70 level intro PvP gear for healing or Ret. What would you guys recommend?
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
Constantine

Postby Discus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:45 am

I just used my standard heroic set - loadsa stamina meant I could defend nodes alone long enough for help to arrive.

Dull as hell though. I'm alliance so time I played at seemed more important than gear:

Before 9pm, loads of alliance school kids playing so win just 1/20.

9-midnight - about 50:50.

After midnight 75% wins.
Discus

Postby Cae » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:54 am

For battlegrounds it doesn't matter. If you're prot you can run the flag in WSG/EOTS, or defend in AV/AB (and tank in AV). If you're holy you can heal whatever/defend. If you're ret you can dps whatever.

For arena I go holy, http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVxuMxzhektVMphMc.
Cae

Postby Ariosto » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:06 am

Cae wrote:For battlegrounds it doesn't matter. ...

Agreed. But you have to know what you're doing, and you need healers backing you up. You can really play a key role in BGs as prot.
Your boots made be made for walking . . .
but mine are in case I need to kick your ass.
Ariosto

Postby Est » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 am

You can respec to Ret or stay Protection and do pvp in AV and WSG all day long and ( Do AV during a AV Weekend for tons of honor)
My Comrades are my weapons and I am there Shield. As long as I live they will not die. As long as they live are enemies will fail. I’am Protector, I’am Guardain, I’am Defender, I’am Paladin.
Est

Postby Dendrah » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 am

So far I only did bad in AB.

In AV you just go grab the graveyards solo and then move to tanking the boss.

In WSG you claim the flag and run with it.

In EotS you grab the flag again or protect one of the bases. You would be surpised how many rogues you'll kill.
Dendrah

Postby Ariosto » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:35 am

Dendrah wrote:You would be surpised how many rogues you'll kill.

Shield spike FTW
Your boots made be made for walking . . .
but mine are in case I need to kick your ass.
Ariosto

Postby Eizen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 am

The way I got mine was to do battlegrounds on an AV weekend.
As prot it's pretty fun, tank the NPC's and hopefully your team has some D and you should win.

When I got to 21K I just defended bases in eye of the storm or rand a phew flags to get the 20 marks. But since horde was winning (omgz) I did 2-3 more to sell the marks.

That's it....
Eizen

Postby Wyleai » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:41 pm

If Blizzard is going to require me to PvP in order to be able to PvE... then my battlegroup is just have to put up with one person in the BG who absolutely and completely sucks both in gear and spec - cause I refuse to adopt a PvP spec or gear for PvP. I made my toon to tank, and tanking is what I'm going to do with her.

But if you can actually stand PvP, or even better for you, not hate it or possibly even enjoy it, then you probably want to spec Ret with just enough Holy to be able to heal without too much risk of an interrupt.

I'd personally caution against WSG. Everytime I've done WSG it has taken a very long time. WSG is easy for the two sides to get into a standoff over. The other BGs all have some kind of point tracking, so you know sooner or later the nightmare will end and you'll get your marks and honor.
Wyleai

Postby Dendrah » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Well Wyleai I'm also full PvE specced and geared. Yes indeed resilience is a PvP stat that reduces the chance to get crit and all. But doesn't defense do the same thing? How about parry, dodge, miss, block? What about a flag carrier with 15k HP who can cleanse almost all debuffs of him? What about a tank who doesn't have to wait for all marshalls to be down but simply takes Vandarr and 2 of his luitenants? What about a defender who will kill all rogues who try to ninja that tower?

When I started grinding for my shield I thought the same way as you. I considered my team had to carry my death weight.
Now I know I have my very own role in battlegrounds and it sure aint the massive killing.
Dendrah

Postby hoho » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:12 am

It's kind of fun to to BG's as pve prot paladin. My main is shadowpriest and it is a world of difference between the two. SP dies in 1v1 against any melee char in about 5-10 seconds, paladin can take 2-3 and hold them back for ages without problems. It is also fun to piss their healers off with concecrate, stuns and aoe silence. Trinket+wings+concecrate in a pack of enemies will do tons of damage, not to mention how fun it is to kite rogues when you have your dodge trinket activated :)
hoho

Postby Wyleai » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:49 am

I'm not new to trying out PvP. I don't like it and I never have. I only do it because for some reason to get PvE gear in WoW I am required to PvP...

The only reason I don't go afk right at the gate is I don't want my account banned...

You're not going to get a good member of a team no matter how you cut it when you've got someone there who hates being there. But anything more down this part of my first post would taking this thread off topic.
Wyleai

Return to Basic Training & Talents