Gurtogg Question

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Gurtogg Question

Postby Ozelot » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:12 pm

I have a question on Gurtogg Bloodboil.

We currently have been having problems with the transitions of aggro causing us problems. (DPS overaggroing OTs etc.)

I know this is a question about watching aggro and everything. But lets ignore that for now.

My question is:

Would it be possible to tank him for 2 normal phases, bubble off, tank 2 phases?
If we look at it DPS wise this strategy allows dps to go all out. If we can squeeze out 15.6k dps in total during those 6 minutes (Not impossible at all with 13 DPS that means putting out 1200 DPS) he should be dead without us having to go through any transitions.

The only issues here are the dazed factor ofc. But to cope with that we aim at having a rogue go bonanza and be ready with Evasion or a druid offtank that can put out good TPS.

I currently sit at 56% pure avoidance unbuffed. I would get GoA totem, WoA totem, agility food, spell dmg. flask/sup wiz oil, I would get a tree druid, a commanding shout and hunter and moonkin for 2% more miss each.
On top of that I was wondering if Pursuit of justice is a notable talent for 1-3% more spell miss. (Is this a spell?)

Normally when I tank him a full phase I end up at about 7 debuffs. The question is really, has this been tested? How many stacks (added to normal hits) are doable?

Should I pop Nature res. pots to reduce the damage from Acidic wound? Or Iron Shield?

I would probably get 2-3 dedicated healers on this attempt with the rest focusing on their groups/fel rage target.

We aim at trying this strat tomorrow anyway. And even if he doesn't die after exactly 6 min the stacks are hopefully not that high. And Moroes pocket will help with some aswell.

We are aware of the daze factor. Either a druid OT, a rogue with evasion ready will chase me for second place on aggro.
I break sheep.
Ozelot

Postby Elsie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm

It's possible to tank almost the entire fight. Make sure the OTs are standing in the cleave.

How many stacks you can go is largely gear (and buff) dependent.
Last edited by Elsie on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Possible? Yes it is assuming your healers spam you. You can survive up to 20-25 stacks.

The problem comes when you get stunned.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ozelot » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:41 am

Thanks for all the replies.

Another question:
Do Pursuit of Justice reduce the number of stacks you get? (Is it counted as a spell.)
I break sheep.
Ozelot

Postby bubblehaxx » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:08 am

Worldie wrote:Possible? Yes it is assuming your healers spam you. You can survive up to 20-25 stacks.

The problem comes when you get stunned.

Last night we lost 2 of the other tanks at 40 percent after a someone dying to Fel Rage. I had just got a knock back before the phase so I was 3rd on aggro at the time. I solo tanked him to dead with 27 stacks when he died. I had bubbled around 20 percent during fel rage to drop 21 stacks. So glad I wore my Shadowmoon Insignia for that fight. Needless to say I love my healers.
bubblehaxx

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:20 am

Ozelot wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

Another question:
Do Pursuit of Justice reduce the number of stacks you get? (Is it counted as a spell.)

No, Acidic Wound is a melee attack (can be dodged, parried, can miss)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Gurtogg Question

Postby inthedrops » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:52 am

Ozelot wrote:I know this is a question about watching aggro and everything. But lets ignore that for now.

Now that you have the anwers to your question you can stop ignoring this :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Ozelot » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks for all the input. (And keeping ignoring aggro actually helped. :wink: )

What we did was: I went all out all the time. At the second fel rage I bubbled on/off. Kept nuking him hard.
OT stayed ahead of the DPS to get him during the daze part. (Happened a couple of times.)

DPS was happy, they could nuke. Healers ( 8 ) did a great job. For us it made it much easier and we killed him on our first attempt this night. (Not our first kill, but definitely the easiest).

My buffs where Flask of Blinding light, agility food, Ironshield pots, 2 shammies, 1 for WoA and 1 for GoA.

After a while (After about 6 minutes) which we had seen as our kill time de-buff wise, we let the OT take over. I stopped generating aggro and after a while I got knocked down enough. But around 15 secs after him getting aggro, my Divine Shield was off CD again and I could clean myself. (Killed him after a total time of 7.56.)

The advantage for us is that we know we can do it with 2 tanks without a problem. And I now know it is possible to hold him all the time.

So, thanks for all the input.
I break sheep.
Ozelot

Postby Emmi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:19 pm

That is a very, very long kill time for having DPS going "all out" during phase 1 and phase 2.

In this case, I think it's easier for the tanks, but a huge burden on the healers, and I'm guessing the DPS is either really, seriously sub par, or several died from various issues (perhaps the healers having to spam-heal just you). Overall, I do not think your avoidance is high enough to really make this as easy as it could be. Perhaps after you pick up a bit more?

Obviously I'm just guessing, but seriously, over 7 minutes to kill him? Or did I read that right?
Emmi

Postby Nortauk » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:09 pm

We take a similar approach to Kalecgos (ok, it's really not even remotely the same thing, but stick with me). Similar concept in that I'll tank Kalecgos (Dragon) for the entire fight, and dps never has to worry about threat generation. The problem is this:

If your dps goes full-throtle, I don't see your off-tanks being able to keep up in terms of tps. This means that after the first knockback (or the mechanic similar to blind) you'll lose aggro, and every dps that is above your off-tanks will be annihilated (not to mention any unfortunate cloth-wearers in the frontal cone as he destroys your raid).

That being said, if you manage to do it, I'd definitely like to see a vid post of it :D
Nortauk

Return to Black Temple