Remove Advertisements

Trash Waves in the Horde Camp

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trash Waves in the Horde Camp

Postby dmok » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Ok, I started tanking 25mans on this paladin about 2 months ago and have since geared up to become the guild's #1 paladin tank. as a guild, we're now up to the 3rd boss in mount hyjal. We tried out the trash waves for fun last night, not actually expecting to have time to get there so nobody really knew what to expect (we had no idea where the waves came from, let alone how to deal with them).

So, I have 2 questions regarding the trash waves here. I've tried looking around, but most strats just tell you how to kill the boss, what is in each trash wave, and the stats for the mobs in the waves.

1/ where is a good place to tank them? After our initial "where do they come from? this place is huuuge!" wipe, we decided that just infront of the tower entrance was a good spot and seemed to work out. if we tanked them farther back, they just aggrod the npcs and spread out everywhere.

2/ Wtf do you do about those gargoyles. Took us about 5 mins to realize they were there, and only after the whole "this wave seems easy. there's only 4 guys! wtf are those guys doing way back there??" debacle.

and I guess a question 3: what do you do about frost wyrms? I only saw them when I was dead on the ground, but them look mean. (pally tank + 3 healers does not last long against 6 aboms and 4 necromancers)
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby honorshammer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:28 pm

honorshammer

Postby Zx » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:32 pm

tank the guys that run up at the tower entrance. frost wyrms should be tanked by a warlock who is getting heals. gargoyls should be killed by hunters and a couple of other dps with some heals.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Also, gargoyles can be counterspelled/earthshocked to bring them down into melee range. They can also be "kited down to earth"; if you get aggro on them and run very far away, they'll come down to the ground as they chase you.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:50 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Also, gargoyles can be counterspelled/earthshocked to bring them down into melee range. They can also be "kited down to earth"; if you get aggro on them and run very far away, they'll come down to the ground as they chase you.
I scared my raid once when I did that. I mounted up with crusader aura and just ran for it then back to the entrance <3 worked like a charm.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby dmok » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:57 pm

thanks for the replies. doesn't seem like we were too far off in our original assessment, I just wanted to be as prepared as we can be for Tuesday night when we'll see Kaz for the first time.

Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby dmok » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:35 pm

just 1 more question while I can still think of it:

why a warlock tank the frost wyrms? why not another class (hunter, mage, ele shaman, etc)?

dmok

Postby Maelstrom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:42 am

Searing pain generates more aggro for the casters to nuke with, but honestly any ranged can tank it. I think one of our holy priests got bored during an MH farm run and started smiting his ass off.
Maelstrom

Postby Seloei » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 pm

warlock is prefered since of the +20% heal aura they have and searing pain is quite decent. We just have a "threat race" and usually a hunter ends up tanking since the locks are too busy getting "moar dps with seeds!"

Otherwise, the melee are tanked near the gates and the gargs where they come out from. Silence them down or kite them down.

Infernals are banished and the ones which are loose are tanked on spot and burned by the ranged
Seloei

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:57 am

well, had our first "true" shot at the trash last night. overall, it went pretty well once people figured out that getting all the ranged to the gargoyles was a good idea. For the gargoyles, we just had the ranged kill them in the sky, since their ranged attack hits for alot less on cloth than their melee.

We only failed on the last wave when our healers failed to recover fast enough to keep my alive while tanking all the aboms, which you think wouldn't have been an issue seeing as their was a larger wave of aboms earlier.

ps - those frost wyrms fly damn high. took us all a while to find them. but are they freakin cool looking.

dmok

Postby Karador » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:20 am

You can also use the hut to LOS the gargoyles into coming down. get aggro on them and run into the hut. They will bunch up at the door and you can tank them there and let the locks / mages get AOE happy on them.
Karador

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 am

Karador wrote:You can also use the hut to LOS the gargoyles into coming down. get aggro on them and run into the hut. They will bunch up at the door and you can tank them there and let the locks / mages get AOE happy on them.

I read that as an option .. but we dont have another tank option for wave 4 when there are 10 or so other mobs coming in through the front.

dmok

Return to Mt. Hyjal