Remove Advertisements

I just pulled aggro...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Joanadark » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:19 pm

im gonna go against all the people saying good job and state the obvious.

your bad.. if your not the mt for the fight, its your job not to jump the mt.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That being said I really don't see how you can touch the mt if your hunters are doing their job with the misdirects. And, 30 seconds, you most likely pulled it as he was using up his rage and then you left him unable to push anymore threat.

I'm fully aware that it was a horribly bad thing to do.
I also didnt dream I'd manage it, so I wasn't paying attention, was just TPSing as fast as I could manage.

Nor is our main tank bad. He's maintanked for our guild for two years of raiding.
Bare in mind that we outgeared the encounter, this wasnt a progression run, it was old old farming content. Hence the sloppiness as well.
That fact would affect his rage-intake, as well as mean my own threat-output was higher than normal.
Additionally, he was doing his own thunderclaps and demo shouts that particular time, though we switched it out and made the fury warrior do it following.

the entire, singular purpose of this thread was that, according to common consensus about our off-tank threat generation abilities, that shouldnt have been able to happen at all.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:21 pm

A warrior with unlimited rage shouldn't have the slightest problem outpacing a paladin offtanking

A warrior with infinite rage is still limited by the GCD. A Paladin with high spell damage and infinite mana is limited by......
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:15 pm

Well I don't think that there was ever much to the claim that pallys "can't" off tank like that. However, I think it's fair to say, that especially for a fight like Gruul, Druids would be better at it. Hateful strikes can't crush, Druids can produce plenty of threat without taking damage, silences and mana are a non issue and if the growths get crazy they stand a better chance of not dying.

Still you probably shouldn't have been pulling aggro from the MT with the rotation you described. I mean maybe early on in like the first 2-3 growths if he had a bad sting of misses, maybe. Sadly, I've had that happen to me too, because I also wasn't paying attention to the Threat meter, and our MT did have a bad string. But, with 350 spell dmg, JoR/SoR and down ranked consecrate isn't going to be much TPS to overcome even if you never miss or get resisted.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:16 pm

Joanadark wrote:
A warrior with unlimited rage shouldn't have the slightest problem outpacing a paladin offtanking

A warrior with infinite rage is still limited by the GCD. A Paladin with high spell damage and infinite mana is limited by......

Indeed mathematically, pallys would scale in threat production better than a warrior, it simply has to be supported by gear.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:37 pm

Still you probably shouldn't have been pulling aggro from the MT with the rotation you described. I mean maybe early on in like the first 2-3 growths if he had a bad sting of misses, maybe.

I pulled going into growth 4.
Joanadark

Postby Vesper » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:40 am

Joanadark wrote:
Still you probably shouldn't have been pulling aggro from the MT with the rotation you described. I mean maybe early on in like the first 2-3 growths if he had a bad sting of misses, maybe.

I pulled going into growth 4.

Like I said, our MT uses a Malchezeen on early growths, generates decent threat, but it's often no problem to outpace him if I don't watch my mangles. Granted, we usually have a single hunter, so MDs are a luxury.

The hardest part of the Gruul fight as an OT is making sure you don't outpace the MT's threat while staying a decent amount ahead of the melee. It's a balancing act, not a contest.
Vesper

Postby John Ra » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:50 am

John Ra wrote:
Joanadark wrote:
Do you do your normal threat cyles as if you were MT'ing Joan? Sometimes I wonder how OT'ing Gruul would go (I usually bring my Rogue since we have a lot of tanks and not a lot of geared DPS) and if my mana could take it, even with the Hateful Strikes.

normal threat cycle excluding Holy Shield and Consecration downranked one-two ranks enabled me to pass the off-tank.
Since I was taking zero damage i needed to chug major mana pots (super weren't really necessary, so i saved money by using majors).

As official off-tank I used my normal threat cycle, excluding Holy Shield, and using max-rank Consecrate.
It was completely unneeded to use mana pots, though I didn't bother to use Ironshields either.

Most of my Block Value itemization I swapped out in favor of a heavy amount of dodge.

If the occasional light Shatter damage and Hateful Strikes didnt create enough damage inflow, or I got a string of Dodged Hatefuls, I simply stood in a cave-in.

I don't have access to CTprofile, so may I ask how much mana you have and what your typical offtank threat cycle is? This is really interesting to me.

/tap
John Ra

Previous

Return to General