Strat Farming

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Kelaan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:52 am

Apologies for necroposting, but it beats making a new thread about the same topic. ;)

Aetherial wrote:I specced "shockadin" build to make things go faster, but I wore my tanking gear (which, granted, is Tier 6, so I had about 800-900 spelldamage given the spec and gear).

Do you gear as prot, or gear as shockadin? If I'm currently in ~T4ish/badge gear, shockadin spec gets me from 420ish spelldamage to ~480ish (and nets me holy shock in addition to exorcism). In my "shockadin" gear, my defensive stats are CRAP, but I can actually kill single things. ;) Is it better to go the single-target route in this case, and just heal through whatever damage I take? This means I'd not be able to AOE abominations, though...

Avoid the trash, go into the gauntlet, Consecrate down the beetles, then pull the banshee in front of you and run to the fountain (there's one crypt fiend that might aggro you if you're standing on the fountain so be careful). Then run from the fountain straight to the pack of 3 Ghouls and kill them.

Do you kill the patrolling gargoyles here, or just try to avoid them? I'd usually try to pull them back into the bug trap area, but sometimes I'd get the pack of necromancers.

The aboms are fairly straightforward, just don't pull them yourself after the first one unless it's been a while, this way you'll avoid having multiple pulls or having a long stretch of them with you being unable to drink. The aboms themselves really aren't that hard to deal with as long as you keep them spaced out so that you can drink when you need to.

What causes the abominations to reset, respawn, or bug out? I can survive several at a time as prot (though I need to drink afterward ;)), but I've several times had half of them respawn while I'm killing the other half, and once I managed to get all of them dead, but Rammstein wouldn't spawn.

{edit: it looks like I need to engage them when they go to the gate, as if one tries to go there and isn't aggro'ed, the place resets. I'll have to try again, then, with that strategy (Killing them all at once isn't an option for me w/o a pocket healer ;)}
}

... You'll aggro the Black Guard which have spawned there. Kill them and then the Baron's door will open.
For this, I'll want prot gear, right?
Kelaan

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:22 pm

As Aeth said, shockadin spec in tanking gear.

Personally I prefer to stay Prot, but then I don't like clearing Baron anyway.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kelaan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:38 pm

PsiVen wrote:As Aeth said, shockadin spec in tanking gear.

And that was even in what I quoted. I fail at reading comprehension, lol. :D Thanks!
Kelaan

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:52 am

I solo strat all the time. Check my gear. It's nothing amazing. Here's the how I do it. I have yet to have a full clear run where I didn't get an epic drop (7 runs now)

1.) take as much gear as you can, and repair bots if you are an eng. You can vendor stuff on the fly, and I normally come out 75-100g ahead on a full clear.

2.) Find a mix of block + BV gear for trash. If you have FotC it's even better.
3.) Find a good spell damage set for bosses. I have taken all the bosses in there outside of the last 1 on each side in my questing gear. It's 11k armor, 11k HP, and 560 Spell damage AND 8k mana.
4.) take pots. health and mana
5.) take water.
6.) first couple of times, take some elixirs. try things out. You want to find what will work for you and what makes the run comfortable for you.
7.) on Baron, I went in my full on uncrush set (I know you is way low and doesn't crush), and I just tanked him down with wisdom on him, judging righteousness and busting abilites when I can.

I solo this place mainly for the mount, and the orbs. THe runeblade would be awesome too.
Shoju

Postby Tigermeat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey all, new to the site, enjoying the reads so far. I have a question regarding soloing instances. Anyone think this is possible on a DPS Warrior? I have decent gear, mostly epics but I dont raid so some are crafted some are heroic drops and some PvP(welfare LOL). Anyways, I am getting a little bored with doing dailies, and was looking for a challenge. Also, I never ran scholo/strat because it was a lot more economical just to go to outlands at level 58 and gear up that way. And if not my warrior, do you think a frost mage could do any of these? Again, crafted epic tailoring set, some heroic blues, nothing spectacular. Any ideas would be great, thanks.
Tigermeat

Postby Kelaan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Tigermeat wrote:Hey all, new to the site, enjoying the reads so far. I have a question regarding soloing instances. Anyone think this is possible on a DPS Warrior?

Probably. Try it! For most trash, you can either skip it or beat it down. (You may want tanking gear and a PLG for the insect traps...) For bosses, you probably want some tanking gear, or at least high EH -- When I tried using nontankish gear (which admittedly wasn't all plate) vs Nerubenkan, he wafflestomped me. (The Baroness was easy, though.)

I tend not to heal on most of the boss fights (though it IS nice when I do), so it's just a DPS race ... and a dps warrior does that much better than a paladin.

- Bring potions.
- Consider using the holy waters as necessary.
- Consider bringing a healthstone or two, and maybe even things like whipper root tubers.
- Shadow Resistance is useful in some places .. but I don't use more than the SR aura, it seems to be enough.

Also, some of the trash (ghouls) does a really crappy disease that basically DOTs you to death. I believe you can avoid them most of the time, but you may want a few Jungle Remedies. I almost forgot that I do occasionally cleanse, since it's reflexive. ;) Still, almsot all the things I fight are gargoyles, banshees, and crypt fiends -- all of which IMO you'd do very well against. Heck, you could likely gib the necromancers, too.
Kelaan

Postby Tigermeat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:23 pm

well, I ran strat over the weekend on my warrior. I did not bad. I totally wtf pwned the live side, except for cannon master willy. Got 5 Righteous orbs, and the epic Truefaith vestments recipe.

The dead side was another matter. The pats and chain pulls can be nasty. I figured I would just clear the entire place. I am arms with a 2 hander so I can 3-4 shot mobs usually. Those necromancers are the easiest for me to kill, but I can see how they might be tough for a tanker. I died a few times just on trash pulls and pats, but I can easily handle all the minibosses on the ziggurats. I ran into trouble when I got to the slaughterhouse, I started killing all the aboms just fine, but by the time they were all dead, I had low health, and Ramstein aggroed on to me. I got him on the second attempt though, but again I had low health and the wave of a million skeletons killed me. by this point I had had enough and got out of there. Is the baron fight overly difficult? How can I avoid the skeletons in order to heal after ramstein?
Tigermeat

Postby Kelaan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Tigermeat wrote:Is the baron fight overly difficult? How can I avoid the skeletons in order to heal after ramstein?

Baron seems straightforward.

Avoid the skeletons by running INTO the building as Ramstein spawns. Note that you could very well aggro the undead guards INSIDE that spawn after him, but the herd of skellies outside won't come for you unless they see you.
Kelaan

Postby Andryana » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 pm

With the upcoming title on WoTLK, i'm starting to work on my argent dawn rep and since i'm an enchanter, trying to make some gold out of the shards.

I had a few runs with some moderate success, however the banshees and the necromancers always give me a headache :\

When 3.0 goes live.. with blessing of sanctuary giving pretty much infinite mana, 30 sec CD instant holy wrath.. should be really a totally walk in the park doing strat ;) Oh and Hammer of the righteous of course.
Andryana

Postby Andryana » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:35 am

*bump

Well i tried yesterday on the PTR and it's so much easier, even in full tanking gear we do a lot of damage to nuke those pesky necromancers fast, and the new blessing of sanctuary is just awesome here you just never run out of mana, instant holy wrath,hammer of wrath at 35% helps a lot too, Baron Run is even easier now ;)
Andryana

Postby uke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:23 am

How easy would it be for a newly 3.0-boosted Ret pally to do this now? I'd figure with Divine Storm, Consecration and Ret Aura boosted by Sheath of Light, and potent heals, it should be easy to both AOE and burn single targets quickly.

Anyone tried this?
uke

Postby Sederia » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am

Andryana wrote:*bump

Well i tried yesterday on the PTR and it's so much easier, even in full tanking gear we do a lot of damage to nuke those pesky necromancers fast, and the new blessing of sanctuary is just awesome here you just never run out of mana, instant holy wrath,hammer of wrath at 35% helps a lot too, Baron Run is even easier now ;)

nice, will give me a place to 'practice' my threat rotation and maybe get my undead horsie(3 runs, no horse... only a zillion more trys to go :) )
Sederia

Postby uke » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14 am

uke wrote:How easy would it be for a newly 3.0-boosted Ret pally to do this now? I'd figure with Divine Storm, Consecration and Ret Aura boosted by Sheath of Light, and potent heals, it should be easy to both AOE and burn single targets quickly.

Anyone tried this?

I did it last night as ret, it was laughably easy.

Necro's are a breeze. They die very quickly to ret and you don't have to worry about mana burn with judgements.

I pretty much tore through the place without being in a hint of danger. I killed the baron with about 25 min left on the timer, which could have been more if I skipped looting anything. It might help that I'm in full S2 PVP gear for survivability, but even a reputation PVP geared ret pally could run through with few issues.

Still no mount, though :cry:
uke

Postby Ulratha » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:53 pm

A couple of quick comments on this. I have been soloing Strat for a long time since even as a non enchanter the gold is better than doing dailies. With the 3.0 changes I am doing a Baron run in Ret in about 20 minutes (no down time to drink ftw) and as low as 17 minutes although if you were mob skipping it could be faster, and it nets about 100 gold on average sending non bops to an enchanter alt and selling runecloth for 6 to 8 gold a stack on my server, so about 300 gold per hour plus the chance for the mount to drop. In prot it takes about 30 minutes. My tips would be: in ret you pretty much cant screw up: just smash thorough as fast as you can go being careful to save your shield in case you get silenced at a bad time. In prot you should gear in all your ret gear but with shield and high dps one hander. The only real dangers are the silences if you bite a bit too much off, and the necros. Just target them first and with the high physical damage from your ret gear they will die fast, and when fighting these groups you may want to shift to a two hander if you are having any trouble since your hammer will then do more damage faster, and these groups don't do meaningful physical damage. On the aboms, as noted if you are too far from the gate when the last one dies then Ramstein will not respawn, so be sure that at least for the last one that you do not kill it till you are inside (or at least very near) the portcullis area. For the warrior, I would highly recommend that you get some Strat Holy water for the mass of skellies. then you just have to put on your shield and hold out a bit till they are all on you and one strat water should kill them all. The Strat water will also help with the skellies on baron (which you should do without a shield to kill him before the second skelly summon).

The really good news though is that with 3.0 they boosted the drop rate of the Baron's mount to 5%, so happy hunting all!
Ulratha

Postby Origon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:04 am

Origon

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats