Remove Advertisements

A bit of a gap between reg and Heroics?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

A bit of a gap between reg and Heroics?

Postby Frew » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:19 am

I hit 70 about 4-5 days ago. I followed the uncrushability guide and made it my priority to get uncrittable and close to uncrushable (will be once I get libram). I've been stacking stam gems and all I need to do is get +12 stam to bracers and my spell power to weapon.

Regular instances are a cake walk. Some idiot pulls multiple groups, I can tank 7-8 mobs by myself no problem. I was a bit confident, then I stepped into heroic SP.

Now, I know SP as I ran it all the time on my mage. I know what hits hard, what should be focused and what fears, etc. First time I went in there with a druid healer with +1450 healing and he said I was too squishy. I never died, but it got close on a few pulls (mainly the 4 large lobster pulls). Second time I ran it I died twice, but the shaman was using rank 2 chain heal because he heard it was "more mana effective." After that he seamed to keep me up better, but I was still getting hit hard. Maybe we should have used some crowd control?

My question: Is there a huge gap between normal and heroic, and should I be feeling inadequate? What would you recommend I do, gear wise? Here is my armory -

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Dariin

I don't think it's updated since I did dailies, so my full set isn't there. Trust me, I don't take with an Oathkeeper :P

I'm 12.7k with kings, 12000 armor, 20% dodge, 16% parry, 22% block, 509 def. I typically use agility and armor pots.
Image Image
Frew
Maintankadonor

Postby UMIO » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:09 am

Your gear looks fine to start running some of the easier Heroics ie Slave pens, underbog, Mech, Botanica and maybe ramps. I found the biggest change was the use of CC in normal it was yeah ill run in and spam my stuff where as Heroics when u start are sheep this and sap that
UMIO

Postby Katerina » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 am

Sounds like you guys got H SP done, but a 1450 healer is going to have his work cut out for him regardless of whom he's healing. So that you guys completed the instance is a huge testimony to your abilities. No amount of gear can make up for a lack of skill. :)

The four boblobster pulls hit hard and the debuff sucks. Keeping it cleansed off of yourself will help. Other than that, heroics are going to be challenging until you get some Kara/badge gear. Def get your weapon enchanted :) Maybe OT a few Kara runs. That will help too.
Katerina

Postby Frew » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks for the input.

The druid had 1450 and the shaman had 1200 healing, so I guess I feel better about it :P

I just got the weapon enchanted, so hopefully that will help with threat.

CC will be a big thing now, I'm going to start using :)
Image Image
Frew
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:34 pm

I've successfully tanked Heroic SP, with a holy priest with around 1300 +heals, and UB with a holy pally with less than 1100, and my gear's pretty similar to yours. Use CC like you said, don't expect to AoE tank everything like in normals and make judicious use of Hammer of Judgement on things like the Greater Bogstroks and Coilfang Defenders, which hit really hard.

I only started running the things a week and a half ago, and SP and UB are starting to feel like normals now, so just keep at it and you'll be sorted in no time :)
Epimer

Postby ldeboer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:11 pm

The other thing to know is the crabs are seriously fat and dont like stacking ontop of each other and one can easily end up on the side of you and thus not infront of you to be dodge/parry/blocked and you get hit hard.

Generally if they look like they are spreading out shuffle backwards a step or 2.
ldeboer

Postby Rumpleminze » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:34 pm

You don't need to be uncrushable for heroics so substitute in gear that will give you more stam and armor. The S2 shield with a stam enchant is awesome for this purpose. I use that shield and the S2 shoulders with stam/dodge gems socketed. I use the spaulders of the righteous and the SSO shield in my 102.4 set. When I started doing heroics my avoidance was at ~93% with HS up in my heroics set, IIRC.
Rumpleminze

Postby Aldar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:53 am

Epimer wrote:I've successfully tanked Heroic SP, with a holy priest with around 1300 +heals, and UB with a holy pally with less than 1100, and my gear's pretty similar to yours. Use CC like you said, don't expect to AoE tank everything like in normals and make judicious use of Hammer of Judgement on things like the Greater Bogstroks and Coilfang Defenders, which hit really hard.

I only started running the things a week and a half ago, and SP and UB are starting to feel like normals now, so just keep at it and you'll be sorted in no time :)

I Have healed hSP on my +1000 heals druid with no problems at all.
Also healed hUB/hSP/hRamps and a couple others on my +1200 heals shaman (when he was Resto).

My point is that the healing doesn't have to be obscenely high if you know how to heal correctly.
Leveling as Retribution at the moment.
Aldar

Postby Lousiana » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:14 am

I think this gap is actually wanted. Think of prenerfed TBC.

You needed to complete Arcatraz, Shadow Labyrinth, Steamvaults and Shattered Halls (timed) in heroic mode to progress in an attunement questline for The Eye.

So one could say Lower Karazhan was once equal with heroic from pre70 Instances while Upper Karazhan was slightly harder than the heroics from the last 70 instances.

So in terms of gear progression besides crafted, vendor and badges you would have chosen

- Ramparts, Slave Pens and Mechanar
- Bloodfurnace, Underbog and Botanica
- going for your first couple of bosses in Karazhan
- Shattered Halls, Shadow Labyrinth, Arcatraz
- rest of Karazhan (T4)
Lousiana

Postby Aldar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 am

Lousiana wrote:I think this gap is actually wanted. Think of prenerfed TBC.

You needed to complete Arcatraz, Shadow Labyrinth, Steamvaults and Shattered Halls (timed) in heroic mode to progress in an attunement questline for The Eye.

So one could say Lower Karazhan was once equal with heroic from pre70 Instances while Upper Karazhan was slightly harder than the heroics from the last 70 instances.

So in terms of gear progression besides crafted, vendor and badges you would have chosen

- Ramparts, Slave Pens and Mechanar
- Bloodfurnace, Underbog and Botanica
- going for your first couple of bosses in Karazhan
- Shattered Halls, Shadow Labyrinth, Arcatraz
- rest of Karazhan (T4)

Or you can do kinda what i plan to do at 70.
Go Holy and heal Kara run's and roll on prot gear.
That's what my guild is gonna let me do so it will help A LOT i'm sure.
Aldar

Postby Dendrah » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:28 am

There is no need for going holy to grab Kara gear.

Just consider that since normal instances are going smooth you are neglecting CC. When progressing into heroics you will still not use CC and as such get killed very fast.

Heroics is harder and should be treated that way by using a bit more CC. Not by trying to boost your own stats so you can take it. Why would you then even run it? You would already have the gear.

Just bring some CC with you in the beginning and you'll be ok.
Dendrah

Postby Lousiana » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 am

Aldar wrote:
Lousiana wrote:Or you can do kinda what i plan to do at 70.

I don't know. Sounds to me as if your guild was looking for Healers rather than tanks. You could end up Holy for Life with that deal because they want you to pick up healing gear over prot gear because next Kara run they need you as healer again.

If it turns out that prot gear goes rather to a good geared OT or as "2nd Set" to a DPS warrior pull the emergeny break.

You want to be a Tankadin you need to do this job from the very beginning to counter false expectations.
Lousiana

Postby ldeboer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 am

To be a good tank you need to tank .... end of story.

Seen enuf nub tanks from T6 guilds with all the T6 gear and cant tank to save themself because they just rolled offspec on the pieces.

You learn nothing about tanking sitting back healing half the time you wont even bee watching the fight because you will be watching whose little bars are dropping fast.

Don't do it :)
ldeboer

Postby Spectrum » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:22 am

There's a huge gap. It was a shock to me the first time I did H SP. I heard it was an easy heroic, so I ran in and tried to AE-tank the Bogstrok group and the healer barely kept me alive. I didn't do that again. Until you get into some much better gear, say T5 and T6, you will need CC, particularly if you don't have a good healer.

Also, heroics never crush. It is probably more useful to stack stamina and armor. This gives you a bigger pool to work with so the healer isn't constantly scrambling to keep you alive. Spike damage kills.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Aldar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:57 am

Lousiana wrote:
Aldar wrote:
Lousiana wrote:Or you can do kinda what i plan to do at 70.

I don't know. Sounds to me as if your guild was looking for Healers rather than tanks. You could end up Holy for Life with that deal because they want you to pick up healing gear over prot gear because next Kara run they need you as healer again.

If it turns out that prot gear goes rather to a good geared OT or as "2nd Set" to a DPS warrior pull the emergeny break.

You want to be a Tankadin you need to do this job from the very beginning to counter false expectations.

Well i get what you're saying but my guild doesn't need tanks or healers, they do kara just to help the undergeared people some, they don't NEED anything in kara (well most of them), and the reason i wouldn't tank in Kara is for lack of gear going in, as soon as i ding 70 i can jump into a Kara so why wouldnt i? :)
I Have no intentions of being Holy perm. and i won't let anyone tell me what i "have" to be.
As soon as i get the stats i want i will start doing heroic's/kara's as Prot.
That's the plan anyway....
(I Am goin prot when i can use my Shield of the Wayward Footman next level and getting in alot of pre-70 practice)
Aldar

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics