need some help with flames

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Avine » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:06 am

Slamdorff wrote:What am I missing? Being a bit below capped for fire resistance should be no problem as it is only percentage partial damage taken - based on how much fire resist you have.

Will the flames have a chance to hit you full if you are not fire resist capped? I can't see that anywhere. Pls correct me.

Giving up, lets say, +10 fire res to be able to cap defense seems a fair trade, or..?

Cheers,

Slam

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Magical_resistance

I'd read up on the following page in the "Magical Resistance" section, about halfway down the page.

Quick summary: Even with your fire resistance capped, there's still a chance of taking a full (non-resisted) hit from one of the flames. There's also a chance of resisting 100% of the damage, despite the fact that you've only really got 75% average resistance.

The general idea is to get your average resistance up as high as possible, to maximize your reduction over a number of hits.
Avine

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:15 am

There's a lot of rounding on the resist numbers, isn't there? Having 365 resist beats 364 resist by an incredibly long way(think 5% more damage over time and 10%~ more nonresisted hits)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Omatre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:19 am

You're welcome to armory me. It took a LOT of math to figure it all out, swapping gear here, there and everywhere, till I got the right mixture.

Yes I'm @ 364, I'm changing glove enchant to get over the mark.
I looked at it this way. 364 + 8 from food is 372. but I lose 8-12 stam on gloves, add 8FR there, and I'm @ 372 and then I can eat 30 stam food instead, giving me a net gain of 18-22 stam, a very considerable difference.

I have done this fight many many attempts w/o being crit, but the last 2 times we did it, I've had 2 attempts result in wipes from being crittable (10k hits after resistance are too hard to catch up to) So, well, that don't make people happy ya know

As it stands, ya need 5.6% crit immunity total, I'm @ 5.7x %, so I'm JUST over the line, but thats all that matters.

If you really wanted to, you could also opt for the combination of Elixir of Mastery + Resilience Elixir combination, giving you 15 to all stats and 30 resilience, helping close the gap on both stats. A flask of fort would also work about the same, but give you much less crit immunity.

There's more options than first meets the eye.

Others have suggested the PVP trinket, and for 8k honor, its pretty hard to pass up. But 42 defense rating > 20 resilience in crit immunity, so if you're a JC'er, there's an option there also. If you can manage to farm up 40,000 honor, then nothing will touch the 40 resilience trinket for total crit reduction.

Another choice, but one that leaves a small window of chance, but is cheaper, is the Libram from PVP that adds 31 resilience to your holy shield, but its only for 6 seconds, leaving a 40% window of opportunity to get your face smashed in, but since you can't block, your Libram options are pretty wide open, and that one will help in some regard.
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33949

There's the link for ya, 8k honor and 10 marks, a decent 1/2 day of PVP and you should easily have that. While you can't block, the resilience gets added to your base, so its kinda beneficial in that regard.

Good luck, tanking the flames is literally the hardest phase in the fight, once you're out of that phase consistently, you'll soon be on cruise control to farm status.
Omatre

Postby Devotions » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:40 am

Omatre wrote:8k honor and 10 marks, a decent 1/2 day of PVP and you should easily have that.

i dont know what battlegroup your on but on mine 8k is a full day of PvP. horde lose every bg every time unless your running a premade av and even then its questionable :P alliance must be lovin it tho because they get at least 400 honor in every pug av :P

my gear is fine now tho i got some FR Armor kits after a long time searching i swapped out my wep/shield for pvp wep/shield. im sitting close to 100 resil which gives me enough to never get crit and im at max FR. the only problem i have now is dodging eye beams lol. they like to not call out the eye beams or from which direction they are coming from so i sometimes get smoked by one cause i dont see it coming.

hmm someone should make a mod that detects eye beams and tells you if your in the path of one. something similiar to the easymother mod. man would that help a lot :P

Skinning a bear should aggro every bears in a 40yd radius
Devotions

Postby QuantumDelta » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 am

This is also one of the fights that you can use righteous fury hax to gain more threat from mana when your other abilities are on CD.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Omatre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:26 pm

There's a camera zoom mod that you could use.

But realistically, you get called for eye beam, you can drag those things 20-25 yds away from the sword placer and they won't enrage. Just go straight out and away from a beam path. Better safe than sorry if its gonna intersect your kite path.
Omatre

Postby Hiroko » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:09 am

Unless you are going for the 40k epic pvp trinket then the [item=29181]Timelapse Shard[/item] from KoT reputation is a better use of the trinket slot - you get 27 stamina plus the 24 resilience, just don't use it's active ability.
Hiroko

Postby Rahl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:28 pm

The res ring from za timed chest is also good 54 stam 37 res
Rahl

Postby Seloei » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Trinket from heroic ub?
trinket from normal sp?

theres loads of stuff and theres a chest/shield resilience enchant.
Seloei

Previous

Return to Black Temple