Remove Advertisements

Suggestions?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Suggestions?

Postby bleh_333 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey, i have tanked a few heroics successfully. However, i seem to be taking alot of damage and my healer is barely keeping up. This is my armory link http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Binaladin. Any suggestions on what i can do to become better. I thought i had the stats to tank heroics but i guess not.
bleh_333

Postby bleh_333 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:36 pm

ok the link for the amory doesn't seem to work, let me try that again
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Binaladin
bleh_333

Postby Tradyk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 pm

Your avoidance is very low. At the moment you're sitting on 41.14 avoidance, which means 3 out of every 5 hits is going to do damage to you. In heroics, avoidance is your most important stat, on par with EH (which you could also do with some more, but buffs can handle that).

You should be looking at a minimum of 45-47% avoidance to tank most heroics, and you'll ideally want to be above 50% most of the time. That's the stat you need to work on the most.

Also, get rid of that PvP crap. It is no use whatsoever for tanking heroics.

PvP weapon - Yes.

PvP Armor - No.

They produce no amount of avoidance, have stats that are no use to you (you're uncrittable with just your defense, so no need for resilience, and Spell Crit, which just ain't any use at all). There are many, many blues that will help you out alot more then any PvP purple armour. I'd reccommend going to the gear forums and checking out the fialsafe uncrushability guide for some options. They're all available pre-raid, so they shouldn't be an issue for you to get.

Also, try using the Dawnforged Defender instead of the Sunward Crest. The Dawnforged Defender has more pure avoidance on it, and a higher block value, which is what you're looking for in a heroic. You've more then enough spell damage to out threat even Tier 5 DPS, so go for the higher avoidance.
Tradyk

Postby Oniyoh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:12 am

Hey there :)

Well I took a look at your spec and I am little confused. Why do you have five points in divine intellect, and more importantly why did you give up ardent defender for those five points in divine intellect? Ardent Defender is an an excellent ingredient to the remedy that you need. As you know if your health falls below 35% you get a 30% damage reduction. That is perfect for your problem, you get hit for less so your healer has more time to heal you! You shouldn't be worrying about mana as a tank, every single time we get healed, 10% of what wer were healed becomes precious blue rage for us. You shouldn't worry too much about your mana pool, to give you an idea I am wearing badge and kara gear, and I have only over 5k mana, and I am just fine with that in groups.

Just think of your mana as a rage bar that always starts at full.

Another thing you may want to consider is switching out the Libram of Eternal Rest with the Libram of Repentance. I can't remember the exact number, but I know every single time you put up your holy shield, you get a raw 5% avoidance out of it. And the great things is it cost only 15 badges! Get it as soon as possible.

Happy Tanking. :)
Oniyoh- level 80-Elune

-Your friendly neighborhood paladin-
Oniyoh

Postby econ21 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 am

Tradyk wrote:There are many, many blues that will help you out alot more then any PvP purple armour.

Generally, you may be right but the PvP shoulders are arguably the best you can get until past Kara.

The shields also rock.
econ21

Postby Tradyk » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:58 am

No, they're not. It has more pure hp, but it gives nothing else, especially for someone who is already crit immune. Both the Spaulders of the Righteous (dungeon 3 pally shoulders) and the Shoulderguards of the Bold (warrior dungeon set 3 shoulders) would be better for him then the PvP shoulders.
Tradyk

Postby Barathorn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 am

It depends what you need your shoulders to do. If you can fit the shoulders in and don't need the avoidance or defense then yes, the S1 or S2 shoulders are the best until T4. If you are struggling for defense or avoidance they bring little to the table and you probably want to stick with either D3 righteous or D3 bold.

I am still wearing my S1 shoulders, T4 and ZA shoulders appear to not want to come and live with me.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby econ21 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:34 am

I have all three shoulders and have not been even remotely tempted to use the D3 stuff over the PvP ones.

The PvP ones give you 23-25 more stamina and 405 more armour. The D3 ones give you 17 or 20 more defence. No contest IMO - especially for heroics where effective health is king.
econ21

Return to Basic Training & Talents