31/30 Seal of Blood Threat Spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

31/30 Seal of Blood Threat Spec

Postby Grendiel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:32 am

Hi,

I've been considering a new spec lately just to mess around, and I thought of going back to something like my old spec when I was still levelling. This new one is mostly similar, the most notable difference would be the inclusion of sanctity aura. I realise this spec does not take advantage of a tankadin's capabilities, and the talent distribution is even a little messy, but I thought I'd post it to get some feedback or for Horde Pals who might want to try something a little different. Obviously this is somewhat a warrior tank wannabe type of build, so gearing that way would be better, though some spelldmg is good too.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIh0zRhoZVrxx0czi

The main selling point of this build is good single target threat, while also being able to excel at aoe tanking threat. Vengeance should be up at full stacks most of the time, especially while using Seal of Blood. The lack of spelldmg is made up with the dmg bonuses from vengeance and sanctity. It also gives more leeway for judging wisdom rather than crusader.

Might not be a big deal, but I tanked heroic Mech (3-manned with BM Hunter and Balance Druid) up to the 2 gatekeepers and Capacitus without any problems using a 20/41 PvP Ret spec (I'm too much of a cheapskate to respec so many times, I even do my arena games as prot), and the threat output was simply amazing. Without even judging crusader, using exorcism or feign death (for the hunter), nothing could be pulled off me even when blowing all CDs. The tempest forge patrollers can normally be easily pulled even if the hunter isn't going all out. We didn't go any further as we normally just do Mech for a quick 3 badges every day, which takes about 30 mins for three of us. Clearing the 2nd part takes considerably longer.

In light of my experience of taking Mech in a Ret spec, I can see this new build being viable in raids, though it might not be optimum. Gearing to be uncrushable shouldn't be much more difficult than a regular 49/12 spec. Surely one could at least get through Kara with it, and that's the point of progression where many tankadins are decked in warrior style gear.

I apologise if I got too long-winded here, any feedback would be appreciated! :)

PS: This is somewhat unrelated but might be interesting for some of you. Recently we're having the moonkin tank Capacitus with me switching to a heal set, and it works very well, because that way, a lot more DPS can be put out, and moonkins generate incredible threat. For the curious, check out this thread on the Europe boards for some info on moonkin tanking.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 2304&sid=1
Grendiel

Postby Icon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:35 pm

Well, my spec is 0/32/29 but basically a pretty close twin of this.

I went with 1/2 Improved Holy Shield becuase 2 additional blocks seemed more worthwhile than 3% extra damage via Vengeance and made some slightly different choices for utility when not playing the part of the primary tank, but my thinking was pretty much the same as yours.
Icon

Postby Nerfage » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:55 am

With the class differance between prot war's and prot palies, it's realy the 2 points in imp holy shield that makes us better on some fights. If you can get to prince, you will notice the differance with and with out it.

Now if your talking 5 mans? being uncrushable is a moot point, since it happens on very few mobs that are not level 73 bosses.
Nerfage

Postby Grendiel » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:39 am

Nerfage wrote:With the class differance between prot war's and prot palies, it's realy the 2 points in imp holy shield that makes us better on some fights. If you can get to prince, you will notice the differance with and with out it.

Now if your talking 5 mans? being uncrushable is a moot point, since it happens on very few mobs that are not level 73 bosses.

Actually, I'm talking about raids..if I can tank a 5 man (It wasn't the whole instance, but I think it gives a reasonable demonstration) in a Ret spec without any real problems, this new spec shouldn't have any as well. I'd tank more in Ret spec because it was actually kinda fun, but I found that I took considerably more damage in aoe tanking situations due to the lack of holy shield, and of course being crushable for my raids would be very bad.

You make a good point on the holy shield charges, and Icon had a good idea in shifting a point from vengeance to imp holy shield. However, I'd rather gear to have as low a block rating as possible so that charges are less likely to be consumed. I haven't had to use Moroes' trinket (it just won't drop for me) or ironshield pots against prince during phase 2, but I can see them being helpful if I were to respec. I suppose a Prot/Ret hybrid spec could probably be more effective in the expansion, but I'm hoping the new prot talents will be good ones.

Anyway, my reluctance to actually try this spec comes from my reliance on avenger's shield as it seems to make big trash pulls a lot more convenient.
Grendiel

Postby kvark » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 am

awengers shield is not THAT awesome. convenient at times, I admit, but not vital to our role as a tank.
kvark

Return to Basic Training & Talents