Remove Advertisements

PvP or PvE - Realm to start a Tankadin

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

PvP or PvE - Realm to start a Tankadin

Postby Lousiana » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:31 am

Now, I started playing WoW over two years ago on a hunter rolled on a PvP - Realm. I hit Level 35 and Stranglethorn Vale and hated it.

Because it was my first toon and I really loved the game but not the all over the place PvP-ganking I rerolled on a PvE - Realm to level a hunter to 60 than 70. Raided on that hunter into Magtheridons swapped to a Shadowpriest and raided into all clear Hyjal and 5/9 Black Temple.

Now after two years of spending weekends in Battlegrounds and flagging for world PvP all over the place I am pretty sure I wouldn't mind leveling on a PvP-Realm.

My feeling though is, that especially as a Tankadin from level 40 onwards - where AoE grinding sets in - it could get quite depressing.

So what are your opinions? PvP or PvE - Realm better to start off as a Tankadin?
Lousiana

Postby Ubung » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:46 am

To be perfectly honest tankadin pvp sucks unless your fighting a stupid rogue or a stupid warrior. Even other tanks can whip your ass pretty easily. You dont die very quickly but you cant do any damage either so it doesnt really matter.

Doesn't mean you cant level a tankadin on pvp cus we can be so much of a pain in the ass to kill that most people avoid us as not being worth it. However if you wanna actively world pvp then prot isnt the way to go.
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Harlequina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 am

You won't get ganked as prot. :p Unless the ganker is 41342352 higher than you in levels. See, most gankers are rogues, but even the typical rogue ganker who is 10 levels higher than you, won't kill you. Atleast this is what I experienced. I never got ganked... But always killed the gankers myself, and /laugh + /bye at them afterwards.

Though personally I like PvE realms just for the sake of being able to do dailies and such in peace... I mean, just join a battleground if you want to smash skulls. That's how I see it.
Harlequina

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:58 am

Hillsbrad and Stranglethorn are the worst, but if you can get past them, it's generally smooth sailing, at least in my experience.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Solitatis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 am

My experience from playing on both PvE and PvP realms is that pvp realms seame to have a higher base age than pve. Add do that horde beeing "older" than allience and you get this picture:

Pve ally -> worst
pvp horde -> best

This is MY experience and I am open for flaming if someone wants to QQ :P

You will meet cool guys and assholes either way.
Last edited by Solitatis on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby Erendis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 am

I would never choose to be on a PvP server again. I'd XFER if it wasn't so damned expensive to transfer all my chars. On my current server people are bored enough to be complete asses everywhere now.

So, I guess I'd say roll pally on a PvE server.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby amunstorr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:36 am

Emerald Dream- us RP-PvP

Start one on that server. Not to much ganking as far as tankadins.
And its a pretty active server. i just sent me lock back to it. (he gets ganked all the time)
amunstorr

Postby Elsie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:50 am

You will generally, as any class, only get killed while leveling by people significantly higher level who are either griefing or on their way to somewhere else. Hillsbrad and STV are notorious for this. Outlands will not see many problems since most people are on their flying mounts and busy. You can always level in instances. They're 100% free of any pvp regardless of server type and offer significant XP.
As always, low pop servers even in pvp have pretty much no ganking. For example, on Ysondre the population is so low that alliance will almost always help horde players with quests or save them from sticky situations.

Most of the idiot population do not get on till about 3-5 p.m. EST due to school schedules (and sometimes work). So if you can play during the morning you won't really get interfered with.

Typically, PvP realms have more raid guilds. So if you're interested in raiding you're a bit better off at trying to find guilds who suit your gear experience - not that this matters much at the moment.

Now, at Lv70 pvp realms offer a significant benefit in that you can kill anyone being a dick to you while you're farming or helping friends. This is a rather significant benefit since on PvE servers the better farm areas are way overcrowded causing people to be jerks without recourse. It's just more fun. Kill people as a group, too! Then kill the groups they form to kill you!

Typically zones such as desolace, feralas, un'goro, silithus, hinterlands, western plaguelands, and other 'out of the way' large zones will rarely if ever see any ganking on pvp servers - there's no reason for anyone to go there and the travel time sucks.
Elsie

Postby Candiru » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:57 am

If you are prot you should always have a load of mobs glued to you. If a mage tries to gank you they normally use forst nova to try to hold you in place. Bubble it off and /laugh at them as all your mobs descend on them and kill them :)

Rogues you should kill with reflected damage etc. I didn't get ganked too much leveling on a PvP server. If you get "camped" best advice is to simply log off, get a drink etc and by the time you come back they have normally got bored and left.
Candiru

Postby Ana » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:58 am

Erendis wrote:I would never choose to be on a PvP server again. I'd XFER if it wasn't so damned expensive to transfer all my chars. On my current server people are bored enough to be complete asses everywhere now.

So, I guess I'd say roll pally on a PvE server.

You must be on Spinebreaker.
Anathematic / Megalomania / Tohuvabohu / Surrealistic
Ana

Postby Lousiana » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 am

Elsie wrote:Typically, PvP realms have more raid guilds. So if you're interested in raiding you're a bit better off at trying to find guilds who suit your gear experience - not that this matters much at the moment.

Given,

that I have heard that a couple of times before and the real Hotshot guilds like Nihilum are on PvP-Realms.

that PvP -> PvE transfers are possible while the other way around is not

I decided to give it a shot on a PvP - Realm. Now to find a good one 8)

Thanks for the input :)
Lousiana

Postby daemonym » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:33 am

myself i leveled as prot from 11-70 on a pvp server. at a few points it was soooo painful, i.e. hillsbrad and hellfire. and as for aoe grinding unless it's in a less traveled spot it's essentially out on my server. if there's a mob on you, an ally will atack. it's the law. but if you have somebody to quest with more often than not, being prot (or even holy) is a god send. plus instances give great xp from kills+quests.

however there's nothign more fun than seeing an ally aoe farming the demon hunters outside BT and pulling the elite in and watching from the air :twisted:
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby ZombieRitual » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 am

I leveled my protadin from 1-70 in about 3 weeks, and was prot the entire time with the exception of about 6 levels in the 20's. Ner'zhul is PVP and is one of the original launch servers and I never had a problem leveling. Yes I got ganked from time to time but so what? You sometimes get a little pissed at the moment but you move on. Once in a blue moon you might get corpse camped, so you log out and go do something else and take a break for 20-30 minutes and they're gone. I even did all the quests in STV and it wasn't a big deal.
ZombieRitual

Postby Grokii » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Prot pvp isn't bad at all. You can't kill 'em, but you won't get one-shotted by anyone your level.

Stun and run, bubble and run, concentration aura and heal, run some more. Hopefully you find some guards or another faction mate, or they they get some npc aggro.

What I didn't like is getting ganked on my mage. Fighting something, and stunlock/dead. Or on my warrior, hard pull, down to quarter life, and some one attacks. Nothing you can do.

Paladin has options. You won't kill others, but you are durable and stun+bubble gives you time.

Also, as a pally tank you should be in instances consecrating your way to 70... not soloing quests int STV.
Grokii

Return to General