MT at Gruul.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:55 am

If you're MTing gruul, drop the 10 pts in holy, get reckoning and a faster 1hr as well.
Hollyhell

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:57 am

I'll drop the 10 points in 2-3 weeks when I get my shield. Once again however, all 0/49/12 gives me over my current spec is better threat generation. And as I've mentioned repeatedly, I'm generating enough threat atm.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:01 am

Ulushnar wrote:I'll drop the 10 points in 2-3 weeks when I get my shield. Once again however, all 0/49/12 gives me over my current spec is better threat generation. And as I've mentioned repeatedly, I'm generating enough threat atm.

Have you actually been able to figure out WHY you are dying? Is it simply lack of health? Lack of healing? Lack of homogenized milk in your diet?
Hollyhell

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:10 am

I'll check my Recount when I get home. Fatigue prevented me from doing a full analysis last night and a brief powercut foiled my attempt to log the attempts.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Neuron » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:30 am

Have a warrior friend use intervene, and have a paladin with concentration aura on in your group.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Mithos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:11 am

Make sure you are ALWAYS the ONLY person in front of him. When anyone gets an attack parried, mr truck gets his next attack 40% faster. With pets and melee DPS, this can happen lots of times in the space of a second or two if you get unlucky, meaning you start to get owned very fast.

We forced all melee except the MT behind him and now our attempts run much smoother. I really notice the reduction in damage taken compared to before, especially on high grows, it's far more consistant. Hope this helps :).
Last edited by Mithos on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mithos

Postby Mithos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:16 am

Oh, and never use SoV to MT gruul. Its useless in my experience. Almost every ground slam it will get knocked off, and if you judge as silence hits you won't have it backup for a few seconds, and it could fall off. It's not worth taking the risk, SoR is safer.
Mithos

Postby Enkal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Tried to MT Gruul the first time last night (2 tries), had the same experience as the OP: dead at about 25% or so and just checking the combat log quick it was a couple of very fast hits every time that got me (around 4k each) at around growth 10.

Another problem was that my health was at like 5k most of the fight (18k max or so with warrior shout) but when the druid OT took over after my death he was at 80% health all the time... :(

What combat log programs do you guys recommend to see what might be tweaked?

I will try to see if it's the parry stuff the next time we try. I was using my current armory setup and my threat was way above everyone else, might try with the sun eater next time (+40sp on it tho).
Enkal

Postby Mithos » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:30 am

Hmm well as I said, mine used to b e like that before we forced melee behind, always died at grow 10 because of very fast hits. I don't use a specific combat log program I just splt mine up into 2, one showing melee swings against me from mobs, and one showing the rest, so I can see average damage incoming before specials.
Mithos

Postby dragontongue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:36 am

we havent sucessfully downed him yet but thats prolly due to low dps but what i do to get my survivablity up is around grow 9 or 10 when my agro is huge i switch over to my suneater and throw up all the dodge chance i get sititng around 27% dodge when im tanking him towards the later end (use agi and armor pot as well as grace of air totem and stuff after 50% of gruuls health.) i went from dying around grow 10 and 11 to living all the way to grow 15 and 16. the increase in pure avoidance at that point helps a lot more and your threat should be legendary at that point. im usually about 90-100k threat above my off tank.

btw i use judgement of crusader and seal of righteousness while having superior wizard oil on my merciless gladiator's gavel.
dragontongue

Postby pyrotechniq » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:00 pm

I save HP pots / healthstones in case of a silence that fucks with my shield block. Get an imp LOH on your ass when theres only a few minutes left in the fight.
pyrotechniq

Postby Ocin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Enkal wrote:Another problem was that my health was at like 5k most of the fight (18k max or so with warrior shout) but when the druid OT took over after my death he was at 80% health all the time... :(

is this anyone else's experience? that seems like a huge difference between their health
Ocin

Postby Ocin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:31 pm

do you have 2 sets of gear? your armory is showing all healing gear with the exception of your necklace. maybe you logged out tonight in it though
Ocin

Postby elson » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:04 am

My experience tanking him has been somewhat mixed.

On our 2nd try ever as a guild we downed him, but I died somewhere around 15% due to rogues doing damage from the front and a really bad parry/strike at growth 12+ Since then I havn't seen people doing damage from the front much if at all so I thought we were all set

However last week we failed to kill him because I kept dying at growth 8 or so. This confused the hell out of me seeing as on our first attempt our healers kept me up for 16+ growths. Granted I have a bit more health then most people when they start this guy (19k+ raid buffed), but thats all the more reason NOT to be dying at growth 8.

Turns out it was the rogues taking too much damage and getting healed, leaving me not topped off before a silence. A quick lesson in avoiding cave ins and proactive vs reactive healing I am hoping will help this somewhat.

Some qestions I have for the op is are you getting topped off, or are your healers reactively healing you? Are your mele dps doing it from behind as they should, or no?

I would also echo the suggestion of using SoR even with the slower weapon. This fight really exploits just about every weakness SoV has.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby ulushnar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:02 am

Ocin wrote:do you have 2 sets of gear? your armory is showing all healing gear with the exception of your necklace. maybe you logged out tonight in it though

Yeah, AV weekend so I logged out in my healbot gear.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag