KJ Mage Sinister Reflections?

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure I've run into the gib situation you described. Only way to survive a volley like that is to stack more stam, pot/hs/loh, or blow your bubble at the right time and hope. I would also imagine that it has to do with the 4th mob and their aggro-on-hit behavior. Letting someone else take aggro on the 4th mage just before you taunt/judge it might help mitigate the risk, but it's dangerous.

Regarding the paladins, no I'm pretty sure they holy shock regardless of stun. What I mean is the average damage isn't nearly as much of a problem as their burst mechanisms:
1) Stuns (all melee attacks land regardless of avoidance)
2) Holy Shock (I've been hit by all 4 at once for ~2200 each)

Avoidance doesn't prevent either of those situations, but health does.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby inthedrops » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 pm

PsiVen wrote:Avoidance doesn't prevent either of those situations, but health does.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe avoidance can help avoid the stun in the first place but that doesn't mean your point isn't valid. I checked last night and I'm just a hair under 21k health fully buffed and with 4 paladins on me hitting for at most 3.5k (they can still miss while stunned) my health drops to 6k and thereabouts regularly (AD rules here) during a stun. To get 1k more health so that it's less scary would sacrifice too much avoidance and the rogues and warriors would be more threatening (4 rogue/warrs - 3 paladins in raid).

How much stam have you guys been going with? I'm not against experimenting with it a bit. It's always a balancing, but I think I've got it pretty well dialied in for my raid.

Also had one set of mage reflections last night that I paid close attention to in case I could offer more info but I didn't have any problems with them. You guys might be on to something about their cast cycles being in tune with each other or not. That's the kind of thing I was looking for but didn't see it.

I'll keep looking for it, more attempts tonight.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby enbee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:55 pm

inthedrops wrote:
PsiVen wrote:Avoidance doesn't prevent either of those situations, but health does.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe avoidance can help avoid the stun in the first place .

HoJ, is still a spell last time I checked, you play a paladin right? :)
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Ankiseth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:41 am

Put SMI and Nightmare seed in my macro. Hasn't really been a problem yet.
Can't really let someone else grab the 4th mage, so I've been fire prot pot'ing.
On a related note: Does anyone know if groundings will eat mage/lock shots? Cuz sometimes casters are really sloppy and stand off to the sides. And if I can't get there before they cast, someone without 21k hp is eating 4 bolts.

It's been mentioned a ton of times, but yea, FAPs are *amazing* for paladins. PLUS you can say "FAP" on vent and people *should* know what you're referring to.
FAPs turned paladins from my least favorite to one of the easiest for me.
Ankiseth

Postby inthedrops » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:35 am

enbee wrote:
inthedrops wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I believe avoidance can help avoid the stun in the first place .

HoJ, is still a spell last time I checked, you play a paladin right? :)

Haha! Resist/miss.....not quite the same things :) I was simply thinking about how often my HoJ "misses" (resists). Good call.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 pm

inthedrops wrote:How much stam have you guys been going with? I'm not against experimenting with it a bit.

I've been going double trinkets, SW neck/cloak, the works (my current armory). Just under 24k with Commanding. If we get rogues or warriors I just pop an ironshield, they don't have much burst at all so the only way they kill me is if I accidentally turn my back to them when positioning.

Darkmoon Card: Madness is pretty fun on this fight with all the pets that get owned in the first few fire blooms ;)
PsiVen

Postby Ankiseth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:56 pm

PsiVen wrote:
inthedrops wrote:How much stam have you guys been going with? I'm not against experimenting with it a bit.

I've been going double trinkets, SW neck/cloak, the works (my current armory). Just under 24k with Commanding. If we get rogues or warriors I just pop an ironshield, they don't have much burst at all so the only way they kill me is if I accidentally turn my back to them when positioning.

Darkmoon Card: Madness is pretty fun on this fight with all the pets that get owned in the first few fire blooms ;)

You get commanding shout?

lucky. :(
Ankiseth

Postby Pelendralaar » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:53 pm

I have a fearl tank on KJ if its not a mage, lock or warrior i move them ontop of the tank and he bear demo's. the only gibs thats ever happened to me is when i turned my back or my healers stopped healing me to collapse for the haste breath. A thought though for mages is changing to FR aura to soak some of it. I have not been gunned down in a blaze of glory by the mages in less than 1 second though.
Pelendralaar

Postby Sechs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 am

Have not read all of this thread so hope am not echoing.

If mages kill you use flask of chromatic wonder, spell warding and always have fire aura on by default and just change to devotion aura when needed.
With all that you should resist about 50% of the dmg mages do making it really easy to heal.
Sechs

Postby PsiVen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:04 am

Yeah, I run FR aura fulltime here for my group anyway.
PsiVen

Previous

Return to Sunwell Plateau