Remove Advertisements

Illhoof tactics with a Tankadin?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Bosutei » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 pm

I can't position Consecration to hit both portals at the same time, where do you tank him at?
Bosutei

Postby Buldozer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:35 pm

I tank everything when I do this fight. I hold illhoof close to the wall, and in between the two portals. I always keep concecrate down which picks up most if not all the imps. If everyone stays grouped up pretty close to illhoof, it causes the imps to run through your concecrate.

Also, sometimes I dont have a warlock.. so I let the imps add up for 20 seconds or so (until it gets a little tough to heal) and the mages burn the adds down. Our group downed him in under 4 minutes this way :P
Buldozer

Postby Nebuchadneza » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:50 pm

I keep finding a way to put Holy Wrath into my posts ;) In opposition to my previous post on page 1, I managed to fire it whenever it was ready, while MTing the place with no drama at all!! The last time we did this fight the Warlock asked me to position almost on top of the sacrifice location since he was pretty certain his seed of corruption damaged the demon chains. (I'm not totally sure, but it didn't make any difference) For all the damage our Warlock does, I hardly saw him take any damage at all throughout the fight.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Buldozer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:04 pm

I usually don't use holy wrath for a few reasons. Although it is great damage, it's really mana intensive. I find concecrate will hold the threat needed.

Second, holy wrath is a spell with a cast time. When you're tanking illhoof, kilrek, and all the adds the cast time may take a little long. Keep in mind, when you cast you can't block... leaving yourself susceptible to crushes.
Buldozer

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:38 am

Bosutei wrote:I can't position Consecration to hit both portals at the same time, where do you tank him at?

Forward of the portals, overlapping the chain area. The imps hop out a bit when they spawn, so they should take a couple ticks of Consecration, stop, and start fireballing you in the face within range of your cons spam.

I've occasionally had to move to pick up imps, but you basically try to stay in the top of the triangle formed by the demon chain area and the two portals.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nebuchadneza » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:08 pm

The potential to be crushed is not the end of the world. Holy Wrath is on a slow timer anyways so it's not like you will be spamming it. In this fight, your chances of death from a crush are pretty small compared to the chained target dying. A manageable crush to me doesn't mean I'm going to be dead; it means I'm going to be getting healed more for greater mana return :D Just while you are casting it change your Aura to concentration and switch back to Devo or whatever after it's done. The benefit of HW is to pick up anything missed by your consecrate. The focus here is to be the only one taking damage as much as possible.

You are correct though. It's not really needed to win the fight. It's far more fun though ;)
Nebuchadneza

Postby Nerfage » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:16 pm

adese wrote:
Mortehl wrote:As an FYI -- We kill the big imp whenever its up during our alt night. Cuts about a minute and a half off the fight.

That is what we do, as well. Sometimes we get bad timing (imp goes down, someone gets sacrificed immediately after), but in general we don't have any problems with this approach. Plus this means less time with the +fire damage taken debuff up, which is a good thing for your healers.

We typicaly down the imp first thing, then ignore the imp untill it's 50%ish. At that point the off tank annouces it, and we wait for the next sac. Once the chains are down, the imp dies.

This is of course with 2 war tanks while I was DPS'n with my hunter. I've only off tanked this once... still trying to figure out how to be an effective off tank since I have 0 mana comming in.
Nerfage

Postby Jadlene » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:59 pm

jere wrote:I am not totally sure for healing, but I would guess:

/target Demonic Chains
/cast [target=targettarget] Some Heal

When I've healed this on my priest I have target of target showing. And as soon as Illhoof changes his target to a player (ie he's gonna chain them) I start a heal on that player.

Maybe provide the above advice if people are dying to chains.
Jadlene

Postby adese » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:30 am

Nerfage wrote:I've only off tanked this once... still trying to figure out how to be an effective off tank since I have 0 mana comming in.

Mana is definitely my biggest issue on this fight, especially when I am OT. If I am OT here, I make sure JoW is up on the imp (when the imp is up) and on Illhoof when the imp is down. I'll also try to use SoW when only Illhoof is up so that I can have enough mana to keep aggro on the imp over DPS.
adese

Postby Buldozer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 am

For all the fellow blood elves, I want to give a shout out to arcane torrent for this fight.

When you have a lot of casters like the imps in this fight, It's nice to have an aoe silence. It brings the mobs all close to you and usually causes them to get a melee hit in.
Buldozer

Postby DeadMilliken » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:00 pm

Here's what I do

I wear half Fire resist gear and half normal gear...I "try" to aim for 13k+ buffed hp, 200+ fire resistance after aura, and uncrittable.

Honestly Illhoof's melee crushing don't hurt that much...his shadowbolt hurts much worse.

The effect was that this cut most of the imps dmg well in half...Ill hit me for less than his shadowbolt even crushing..

The REALLY nice thing about this setup...is you can survive getting hit with App'd flames.
DeadMilliken

Previous

Return to Karazhan