Remove Advertisements

Oh Politics....

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Hankthetank » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 am

enbee wrote:Clearly the 2 are linked!
And you're not an ignorant hick!


If there is absolutely no possible way that the two could ever be linked, then how can people sit there and say the president has 100% complete and absolute control over the entire process?

Unless you expect me to believe that the president has 100% power and Congress has 0%. While the current executives have been power grabbing as much as they can, I think we all know it isn't nearly to that point yet, and it can't possibly get there before they're ousted anyways.


Clearly an 10 word (I didn't count the number 2 because you were too lazy to type two) troll response means you're right!
Image
Hankthetank
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:05 am

Postby Maverick13 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 am

Maybe cos im a brit

but hands up who actually watched the video

*looks round*

1..........................2......................ah ok thats what i thought

ty for your time

on the subject of politics

I cant talk we elected brown for christ sakes
Maverick13
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:49 am

Postby Hankthetank » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 am

Shoju wrote:
enbee wrote:
You know, just two years ago, which would be almost six years after Bush started to "undermine" the country, gas was somehow still at just $1.50/gallon.



I hate to be the one to break it to you...... but..... gas was 3.09 cents a gallon 2 years ago to the day. We haven't seen gas at <$3 a gallon consistently for over 3 years...


My numbers were off, but so are yours:

http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/usa.txt

10/15/2006 2.493
11/15/2006 2.459
12/15/2006 2.550
01/15/2007 2.501
02/15/2007 2.509

Seems we were at around $2.50 during the transition, and is a 4 month stretch where we consistently saw gas at <$3 a gallon within the last 2 years, not even looking out 3.
Image
Hankthetank
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:05 am

Postby Hankthetank » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 am

Maverick13 wrote:but hands up who actually watched the video


Can't get to Youtube at work, complain to the employer. ;)
Image
Hankthetank
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:05 am

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 am

roosevelt wrote:I said they are pussies that didn't do anything. They didn't cause our problems, they failed to fix them. Honestly I don't even think they could have fixed much if they tried, but getting out of Iraq IMO would have been a very good start.


What I find funny is that they all ran on a Platform against the war and that's what got them in office. Then the majority of them completely turn their backs on that stance.

These are the reasons why I can't stand politicians of either side of the aisle. They'll do whatever and say whatever to get elected and very few actually try to follow up on those "campaign promises".


Unfortunately, getting out of Iraq ASAP would be the biggest mistake made since actually going into Iraq. The country isn't ready for a 100% withdrawal right now.


roosevelt wrote:My response was to the idea that everything was fine until the dems took congress, which is outright laughable. The President is often said to be "the most powerful man in the free world" yet the office has very little accountability. W's approval ratings are hovering around 30%. If you're one of the 30% that approves then you have to ask yourself; do you know something the other 70% of us don't?


You are again spinning.
Everything wasn't fine until the Dems took office.
Everything hasn't been fine for as long as I can remember.
Every administration has had failures since I've been alive.

30% Approval rating, isn't that about what Congress's rating is?
Last edited by Dragonzbane on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Dragonzbane
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am
Location: In the Forums, stirring the pot.

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 am

Hankthetank wrote:
Maverick13 wrote:but hands up who actually watched the video


Can't get to Youtube at work, complain to the employer. ;)


/this

Can't see any site that has vidshare or streaming.

I put faith in my fellow Maintankadins that they would be on topic.
Image
Dragonzbane
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am
Location: In the Forums, stirring the pot.

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 am

Maverick13 wrote:Maybe cos im a brit

but hands up who actually watched the video

*looks round*

1..........................2......................ah ok thats what i thought

ty for your time

on the subject of politics

I cant talk we elected brown for christ sakes


I watched it. However, once the discussion actually got on politics, the OP kind of became irrelevant since folks were just replying to some other post that garnered a response from them.

So really, it only takes one person to cause a thread to go down a tangent like this.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9666
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:20 am

Shoju wrote:The big problem that I have with the candidates is as follows:

1.) McCain is old. He is SOOOOOO out of touch with anything that I care about. He has consistently proven it by deciding that drilling is the way to fix the oil problems, talking about the war, and not talking about what affects me. He picked a candidate just for the votes and ideology that she has. She will help sway the P.U.M.A. votes (god those people are scary), and she favors drilling.

2.) Obama is a great speaker, but he is just as ambitious as the next person, and has proven before that he doesn't care about the people that he crushes under foot for his own political gain. . For evidence of this, google Obama's myspace-gate. IF you read that, and don't understand why what he did is just COMPLETELY FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG, you don't understand the net, or why we web developers / webnuts fight for things. If he can do that with a myspace profile, he can do it with WAY more than that once he is in power. He picked an old white man to be his running mate to shake the image that the democratic ticket was a gimmick.




This is the problem with American Politics.
Image
Dragonzbane
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am
Location: In the Forums, stirring the pot.

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:31 am

Hankthetank wrote:
Shoju wrote:
enbee wrote:
You know, just two years ago, which would be almost six years after Bush started to "undermine" the country, gas was somehow still at just $1.50/gallon.



I hate to be the one to break it to you...... but..... gas was 3.09 cents a gallon 2 years ago to the day. We haven't seen gas at <$3 a gallon consistently for over 3 years...


My numbers were off, but so are yours:

http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/usa.txt




10/15/2006 2.493
11/15/2006 2.459
12/15/2006 2.550
01/15/2007 2.501
02/15/2007 2.509

Seems we were at around $2.50 during the transition, and is a 4 month stretch where we consistently saw gas at <$3 a gallon within the last 2 years, not even looking out 3.



Sorry, I was going off a local website that tracks gas prices for the area.


Dragonzbane wrote:
Shoju wrote:The big problem that I have with the candidates is as follows:

1.) McCain is old. He is SOOOOOO out of touch with anything that I care about. He has consistently proven it by deciding that drilling is the way to fix the oil problems, talking about the war, and not talking about what affects me. He picked a candidate just for the votes and ideology that she has. She will help sway the P.U.M.A. votes (god those people are scary), and she favors drilling.

2.) Obama is a great speaker, but he is just as ambitious as the next person, and has proven before that he doesn't care about the people that he crushes under foot for his own political gain. . For evidence of this, google Obama's myspace-gate. IF you read that, and don't understand why what he did is just COMPLETELY FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG, you don't understand the net, or why we web developers / webnuts fight for things. If he can do that with a myspace profile, he can do it with WAY more than that once he is in power. He picked an old white man to be his running mate to shake the image that the democratic ticket was a gimmick.




This is the problem with American Politics.


That it is. I wish that we could get past old people and great speakers and get someone smart.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6354
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Postby Kitsuna » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Shoju wrote:
That it is. I wish that we could get past old people and great speakers and get someone smart.


Have you ever considered that experience and speaking poise might be related in some way shape or form to "smarts?"

Not that I disagree with your premise of wanting candidates with more meat to what they say and do, but are your honestly trying to say that being a good speaker and having life experience are negative attributes?
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
User avatar
Kitsuna
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby roosevelt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Wow, I'm done with this thread. If you can't state simple facts without it being spin then there's no point.


You guys need to stop watching fox news if you honestly think that the democrats caused all the problems, or that the president "just signs bills".

There is a huge difference between controlling both houses and a first term presidency (which the republicans had) and controlling both houses with a non-veto-proof majority under a lame duck president of the opposite party(what the democrats have). See how I spin things by stating facts?

Note that I never said I was a democrat or that I liked them. In fact I've criticized them in this thread for not acting, and only actually praised them on minimum wage increases. The democrats and their crappy congress and its crappy approval rating do not change the history of the Bush administration fucking things up. The democrats didn't get us into Iraq. Some of them were too scared to vote against it, and most of them are too scared to cut off funding to end it. That doesn't change the fact that a republican administration mislead us into the war.

Stop blaming the dems for not cleaning up your shit. They don't have the power to and even if they did they would rather run on the promise of cleaning up your shit than actually do anything. Hopefully I've made fun of the democrats enough for this to not be "spin".

One last piece of "spin": 30% approval rating for a war time president is unheard of. If you're part of the 30% this fact doesn't change no matter how low congress' approval gets.
roosevelt
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Postby ThunderByrd » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:01 pm

I ended up jumping a few pages after i got fed up with a few of the comments that some people shared.

So you know where i come from this is my back round:
I'm ex military, i spent two years in Iraq. If it wasnt due to some issues at the home front i would still be enlisted. In Iraq i was kicking in doors and riding in convoys. I've seen some of my best friends die, peices of their bodys blown off and worse.

No one forced me to join the military, no one put a gun to my head and told me to sign the papers. In fact my wife almost left me due to me joining.

It drives me crazy to see people write "bring my friends home". They made their choice, they chose to fight for our freedom, to fight so you can sit on your bum and wright that what they are doing isnt worth a damn. I've put my life on the line and ive killed to keep you safe, and now they are doing the same.

To all those who choose to chant bring our men/women home. They made the choice to join the military in a time of war, they made the choice to defend our home. Dont disgrase them.

edit: for spelling when i get worked up i dont care about spelling :P
ThunderByrd
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 am

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:06 pm

I find it appropriate at this time to trivialize this thread by linking the following video. Turn of your music and sit down and watch it. I promise you, by the time it's done, whatever you're worked up about, whatever monkey is on your back - will be gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:40 pm

roosevelt wrote:Wow, I'm done with this thread. If you can't state simple facts without it being spin then there's no point.


You guys need to stop watching fox news if you honestly think that the democrats caused all the problems, or that the president "just signs bills".

There is a huge difference between controlling both houses and a first term presidency (which the republicans had) and controlling both houses with a non-veto-proof majority under a lame duck president of the opposite party(what the democrats have). See how I spin things by stating facts?

Note that I never said I was a democrat or that I liked them. In fact I've criticized them in this thread for not acting, and only actually praised them on minimum wage increases. The democrats and their crappy congress and its crappy approval rating do not change the history of the Bush administration fucking things up. The democrats didn't get us into Iraq. Some of them were too scared to vote against it, and most of them are too scared to cut off funding to end it. That doesn't change the fact that a republican administration mislead us into the war.

Stop blaming the dems for not cleaning up your shit. They don't have the power to and even if they did they would rather run on the promise of cleaning up your shit than actually do anything. Hopefully I've made fun of the democrats enough for this to not be "spin".

One last piece of "spin": 30% approval rating for a war time president is unheard of. If you're part of the 30% this fact doesn't change no matter how low congress' approval gets.


The dems aren't even trying. What bill have they passed that mean ol' Dubya vetoed? If they can't even get all their ducks in a row to pass a bill to end the war (and they'd even have some Republicans help, too), what good are they? I could see your point if a bill for socialized medicine, a bill to end the war, and a bill to (insert liberal idea here) had all passed W's desk and failed due to a veto, but that's not the case.

The fact is, they can't get the votes to pass these things they speak so fondly of, or they're choosing not to. Which is it?
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby enbee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:37 am

Shoju wrote:
enbee wrote:
You know, just two years ago, which would be almost six years after Bush started to "undermine" the country, gas was somehow still at just $1.50/gallon.



I hate to be the one to break it to you...... but..... gas was 3.09 cents a gallon 2 years ago to the day. We haven't seen gas at <$3 a gallon consistently for over 3 years...


You made it seem like I wrote that!
Image
LoL, a paladin tank!
User avatar
enbee
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:18 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?