Remove Advertisements

Maintankadin 101 - Winchester

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Jharlon wrote:How do you determine a weapon? If I'm currently using the Gladiator Slicer at 90+ dps with no spell adjustment (2.6 speed), is that better tanking a single target then say a weapon with 41 dps +300 heal and +100 spell dmg (1.5 speed)?

Weapon DPS and damage are useless; we want SPELL DAMAGE on a weapon. This is because the majority of our spelldamage comes fromthe weapon. (Get the pvp mace. it's excellent.)
Kelaan

Postby Zx » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:31 am

You may want to add the ZG helm enchant to your list of enchantments since the stamina and other bonuses stack well with the 2.3/2.4 changes.
Zx

Postby Winchester » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Jharlon wrote:When developing a tank, how do you determine a weapon? If I'm currently using the Gladiator Slicer at 90+ dps with no spell adjustment (2.6 speed), is that better tanking a single target then say a weapon with 41 dps +300 heal and +100 spell dmg (1.5 speed)?

first of all Jharlon, thanks man :) i'm glad it helped you.

For horde, i think it's plausible to use a normal melee weapon with the use of Seal of Blood.

But for alliance, i would go with a spell dmg weapon, since you wont be geared to scale your melee dmg at all really, and spell dmg scales the damage and therefore threat of all of your abilities.

the speed of the weapon hasnt affected me much at all yet, i've tanked with weapons ranging from 1.8-2.6, you'll mostly just get weapons at 1.8 anyway.

If you have the rep i recommend trying continuum blade out from the keepers of time, see how that feels instead of the slicer.

Zx wrote:You may want to add the ZG helm enchant to your list of enchantments since the stamina and other bonuses stack well with the 2.3/2.4 changes.

What changes would that be?
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm

I've recently been told that i'll recieve a wotlk beta key, so i'll hopefully have this guide updated to wotlk standards before the release of wotlk.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Halkale » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:47 am

Awesome guide. As a hunter I never had to worry about uncrushable/crittable etc. This explained it in easy to understand terms.

I like the gear guide to, as many of the gear guides are for people already into 25 mans. I can get that info from our current pally tanks, this tells me where I need to go, how to get the gear and how to enchant it. Kudos.

The information on how you tank was also great. As a former/current player of a hunter, I can understand rotations and this made tanking easy for me to understand.

Good work, look forward to the Wrath write up!
Halkale

Postby Winchester » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:57 pm

np, man glad i could help.
If there is more stuff you're wondering about feel free to ask here or in a pm, im constantly looking for more stuff to add to the guide.

egh, hopefully i actually make it into the beta, i got a US key for mey european account. I've sent it to betabilling or w/e to exchange it but it's been almost 3 weeks now. awell fingers crossed.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

thanks

Postby asteriocelix » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm

thank you winchester.
I had gone through your posts while lvling up my first tank (paly tank since I was impressed ... as a mage).
tried reg ramps yest at lvl 60 - pug - lvl 59 hunter, 60 S priest, 61 druids (1 healer, 1 dps).
somehow i didnt bother to use cc after the first pull (of 2) went on smoothly.
(not for 4 pulls, not for 5 pulls, not for bosses, not for a 6 pull even :D )
I figured today i got the casting sequence wrong, so will re-run ramps and improve :)
we did upto nazan guards easily, only nazan was a problem. again, wrong cast sequence, inexperience, (learning from practice).
and fire..... big problem ^^

anyhow I find your tanking guild VERY useful. will post improvements (in my tankability) as I see them.
cheers
asteriocelix

Re: thanks

Postby Winchester » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:17 pm

asteriocelix wrote:thank you winchester.
I had gone through your posts while lvling up my first tank (paly tank since I was impressed ... as a mage).
tried reg ramps yest at lvl 60 - pug - lvl 59 hunter, 60 S priest, 61 druids (1 healer, 1 dps).
somehow i didnt bother to use cc after the first pull (of 2) went on smoothly.
(not for 4 pulls, not for 5 pulls, not for bosses, not for a 6 pull even :D )
I figured today i got the casting sequence wrong, so will re-run ramps and improve :)
we did upto nazan guards easily, only nazan was a problem. again, wrong cast sequence, inexperience, (learning from practice).
and fire..... big problem ^^

anyhow I find your tanking guild VERY useful. will post improvements (in my tankability) as I see them.
cheers

Glad it was helpful for you Asteriocelix, unfortunatly it'll be obsolete within a few days.
I'll try to get it updated for then. At the very least it will be ready for Wotlk (hopefully).
I really liked how useful it was for beginning tankadins getting ready for karazhan etc.
I suspect i will have the equivelant of this guide for Wotlk content by the time people start reaching 80 on live servers.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:09 pm

With almost 22 thousend views i am finally putting this guide to rest.
With patch 3.0.2 coming tomorrow this guide is will be obsolete.
I have a new guide now that's semi ready for wotlk which i will be keeping updated til next expansion :)

Here's the new guide, which btw was totally stickied! :D
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=15212

Thank's for all the great feedback on this one, it kept me going.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents