Tanking Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Nightbane

Postby Doxa » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:30 am

So I've been tanking Nightbane for awhile with two priests for the Fear Wards. Now, I'm gonna be a priest short. So, couple of questions.

First, will a Free Action Potion mitigate the fear?

If not, how does the bubble work to mitigate fear? Does the entire raid need to be in fear range? Won't the bubble drop all aggro and allow Nightbane to run free? Also, should it be used after the fear lands?

Thanks,

Doxa
Doxa
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:03 am

Postby Base » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 am

You have 2 bubbles you can use.

Firstly Divine protection (ie bubble) can be used to break the fear (or make you immune when he casts it).

Secondly blessing of protection will make you immune if used before the fear, however cannot be used to break the fear.

There is a cast time on the fear (which is called bellowing roar iirc) during which time he won't change targets, however, you do need to cancel the bubble as soon as the fear has been cast, otherwise he'll go squish squishies.

However, as long as you (and healers) have reasonable gear then it's not the end of the world to get feared seeing as you'll now keep agro - although it's obviously better to not get feared.

Also make sure any shammies have tremor totems down as well as these can save any mistakes.
Image
User avatar
Base
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 am

Re: Tanking Nightbane

Postby Nakama » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 am

Doxa wrote:So I've been tanking Nightbane for awhile with two priests for the Fear Wards. Now, I'm gonna be a priest short. So, couple of questions.

First, will a Free Action Potion mitigate the fear?

If not, how does the bubble work to mitigate fear? Does the entire raid need to be in fear range? Won't the bubble drop all aggro and allow Nightbane to run free? Also, should it be used after the fear lands?

Thanks,

Doxa


I don't know about the Free Action potion, but the bubble will immediately clear the Fear effect, but it will also drop all aggro and allow Nightbane to go after the raid. Even an immediate use of Righteous Defender to taunt him back may not be fast enough to avoid him ganking whoever else is highest on threat.

Edit: Too tired... Totally forgot about Blessing of Protection too. Regardless, follow the above poster's advice. ;) If your raid composition is too squishy, be really careful with it. Otherwise, just let them know it's coming and of your change in tactics.

--Jed
User avatar
Nakama
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:15 am

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:07 am

I have actually tanked him without a shammy or priest in the raid.

If you are geared enough and your healers are good enough you can eat the fears without too much difficulty now.

I would recommend having a shaman drop a tremor totem to remove the fear from you if you only have one priest though.
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Re: Tanking Nightbane

Postby Tiranknight » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:52 am

Nakama wrote:
Doxa wrote:So I've been tanking Nightbane for awhile with two priests for the Fear Wards. Now, I'm gonna be a priest short. So, couple of questions.

First, will a Free Action Potion mitigate the fear?

If not, how does the bubble work to mitigate fear? Does the entire raid need to be in fear range? Won't the bubble drop all aggro and allow Nightbane to run free? Also, should it be used after the fear lands?

Thanks,

Doxa


I don't know about the Free Action potion, but the bubble will immediately clear the Fear effect, but it will also drop all aggro and allow Nightbane to go after the raid. Even an immediate use of Righteous Defender to taunt him back may not be fast enough to avoid him ganking whoever else is highest on threat.

Edit: Too tired... Totally forgot about Blessing of Protection too. Regardless, follow the above poster's advice. ;) If your raid composition is too squishy, be really careful with it. Otherwise, just let them know it's coming and of your change in tactics.

--Jed

Nightbane is immune to Taunts, and Righteous Defense. I use a Divine Shield Macro that cancels the bubble almost immediately, if you're quick enough Nightbane won't go after anyone else.

Btw has anyone every thought of tanking him with this on? Medallion of the Alliance.. obviously you're going to lose a trinket slot which would lose you some extra health, or a panic button. But you gain a fear breaking mechanism on a 2 min. CD. Nightbane is about a 10 minute fight for my guild... and he ussually fears us once every ground phase. So Between this trink. and Cancelling Divine Shield you should be covered.

Has anyone tried using it if they aren't able to get Fear Wards?
Tiranknight
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby Martie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:34 am

That bubble-unbubble macro is pure win.

/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine shield

Tap it once for normal bubble function.
Tap it twice to clear just about any debuff in the game. Stuns, fears, near on everything.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Postby Katerina » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:54 am

Yes, the BG trinket works.

The cancel bubble macro is god. :)

He's immune to taunt, but the bubble doesn't reset all aggro, it just stops it while you are immune (since he can't hit you, he'll go hit someone else) so he is not hard to pick back up with an exorcism/AS/JoR, etc. I've miss-timmed my bubble before and had to snap him back. When I time it right he never even looks at anyone else.

Though getting feared isn't the end of the world, especially if your healers saw it coming and did all they could to get you topped off/hotted up. The pain in the butt with the fear is if someone didn't get feared and he goes after them OR if he chases you around hitting you in the back. And I'm generally lazy and hate repositioning him, lol.
Image
Image
Katerina
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:23 am

Postby Voxe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:20 am

I tried this a couple of times, bubbling out of the fear, but indeed (as already warned by posters before me) this WILL cause Nightbany to temp go after someone else, so this is risky.

I use the
/cancel aura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shiled macro

and remember to double tap the button/icon

else, just weather the fear, warn the dps'ers and healers that you might get feared. Await the fear and move him back into position (tail into wall etc).
Image
Voxe
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Nakama » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 am

Sorry to above again, was just assuming you were going to immediately cancel out of your bubble/BoP and RD or whatever else. I'm just not fast enough to do all that myself and a macro to do all of it in a row (bubble-unbubble then RD, etc) never seems to work correctly for me, whether it's latency or not having done the macro right somehow.

/cast Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shiled
/cast [target=targettarget, help] Righteous Defense, Righteous Defense

and/or adding something like:

/useitem Heavy Netherweave Bandage, [target=player,help]
/useitem Super Mana Potion, [target=player,help]
to generate extra threat might work too?

Guess that'd be something for the Macro forum though.

Regardless, the double-bubble macro is a good idea though, methinks. Go with that next time you lack a second priest and let us know how it worked out?

--Jed
User avatar
Nakama
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:15 am

Postby Voxe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:23 am

afaik RD will not work on Nightbane (have not tested it though)
Image
Voxe
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Neara » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:39 pm

just get him to 75/50/25% before he fears - problem solved :D
Neara
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Postby Martie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 am

Nakama wrote:Sorry to above again, was just assuming you were going to immediately cancel out of your bubble/BoP and RD or whatever else. I'm just not fast enough to do all that myself and a macro to do all of it in a row (bubble-unbubble then RD, etc) never seems to work correctly for me, whether it's latency or not having done the macro right somehow.

/cast Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shiled
/cast [target=targettarget, help] Righteous Defense, Righteous Defense

and/or adding something like:

/useitem Heavy Netherweave Bandage, [target=player,help]
/useitem Super Mana Potion, [target=player,help]
to generate extra threat might work too?

Guess that'd be something for the Macro forum though.

Regardless, the double-bubble macro is a good idea though, methinks. Go with that next time you lack a second priest and let us know how it worked out?

--Jed

From my experience, bubble doesn't affect the threat table. If you are at the top, you will stay at the top. But since you are immune to damage, the mob won't go after you, so he goes after #2. He switches back to you once you cancel the aura, so you shouldn't need extra threat.

The macros you listed above don't work, you have two spells that trigger the global cooldown set to cast together.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Postby Loricata » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 am

Nakama wrote:/cast Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shiled
/cast [target=targettarget, help] Righteous Defense, Righteous Defense

Change the order of your macro. Put the /cancelaura first, and hit the macro button twice.

(you'll probably want to pull RD out too)
Loricata
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Tanking Nightbane

Postby Bk992004 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:50 am

Doxa wrote:So I've been tanking Nightbane for awhile with two priests for the Fear Wards. Now, I'm gonna be a priest short. So, couple of questions.

First, will a Free Action Potion mitigate the fear?

If not, how does the bubble work to mitigate fear? Does the entire raid need to be in fear range? Won't the bubble drop all aggro and allow Nightbane to run free? Also, should it be used after the fear lands?

Thanks,

Doxa




So wait... You're a level 70 Paladin (spec is irrelevant) and you don't know how your bubble works????? Seriously....?
Image
Bk992004
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:27 pm

Postby azraelfrost » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Slap a Shaman in your group and let him throw a Tremor Totem next to you. Never had any problems with the totem out.
azraelfrost
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:05 am

Next

Return to Karazhan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests