Remove Advertisements

Zul'Aman with Double Tankadin setup

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Zul'Aman with Double Tankadin setup

Postby Petrus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:26 am

We've got some guildies who think this is a REALLLLLY terrible idea. If we don't have any other tanks around, however, how really bad is it? I'm mostly just looking for reasons why not to do it here - the guildies' entire argument so far is "OMG NO ITS FAIL DONT DO IT" which doesnt cut it for me yet.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Pyrates » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:34 am

I can't see what's wrong with that. You won't have one of your tanks Dpsing at the eagle avatar, which will slow you down for a timerun, but won't keep you from getting a bear (if you do well everywhere else). Other than that... dunno, you'll have 2 seals on the bosses, which your DDs will like, you'll have 2 blessings (at least)... sounds good to me :)
" ... and the Vogon will do things to you that you wish you'd never been born, or, if you're a clearer minded thinker, that the Vogon had never been born."
Pyrates

Postby Mex » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:56 am

I would have said that there'd be a possibility for one to get crushed on the bear boss during silence, but apparently he doesn't crush, so there's really no reason not to, apart from the loss of a DPSer on Eagle (a prot warrior with some fury gear will generally do far superior DPS to a prot pally).

Double blessings, and double seals (try to have one pick up imp SotC if possible) will both be a huge boon. The gauntlet might be a bit tricky (I generally go oom by the time we reach the top of the ramp, and have my OT grab the tempest while I drink / SoW bash), but it's nothing that a mana pot can't fix.
Mex

Postby anthony » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:02 am

ive done a pug ZA run with another prot pally, it went well but the only thing that got annoying was the taunting.
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:17 am

I have run ZA with another prot pally. It works well except for the taunting mechanic. I often have the OT pull single mobs off of me after the initial pull, and it could definetely complicate things.

Just for simplicity I make it a habit to not do a timed run with another prot pally.
Holyfuri

Postby BubbaBill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:00 am

We ran into ZA over the weekend for the first time with 2 Prot pallies....it was rough. We found the lack of single target taunt abit of a problem and learning curve. And the fact that the offtank does crap DPS when not tanking. After some thought I think this would work ok IF the offtank goes for 40/21 spec. They should be able to produce resonable DPS with a 2 hander when offtanking and the Aura will help us both on damage/threat.
Use judgements to pull instead of shield tosses. Also a trick we worked out but REALLY takes coordination to do is.
Make your initial pull with the shield. Have a fury warrior taunt one off of you then the offtank pally taunt it off the warrior FAST. The shield toss's slow effect make this possible though I don't think I would want to try it in close quarters with heavy hitting mobs.
BubbaBill

Postby Mex » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:23 pm

I run ZA as 40/21 (cause I run it with T6 locks / ele shamans :\), so I JoR my target, and consecrate everything else to keep it off the healers (with the exception of a 2nd flamecaster, if there is one, which gets CCed). Any high threat ability such as shield slam, JoR, or mangle will pull mobs that need to be OT'd off me. If you're really having problems dividing up the pack between the MT and OT, just don't use shield.
Mex

Postby majiben » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 am

Huzzah!!
A chance to link my thread Here

There's no technical reason not to do a double prot pally bear run; in fact there are some nice benifits if one has improved JotC and a second blessing.

P.S. I had to yell at my pally off tank to never use their taunt on trash if they only wanted one mob :roll: .
majiben

Postby ehly » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:03 pm

My other tank was a noshow not long ago. Maybe 3-4weeks ago. Our ZA group has a ret paladin who has been gathering a t5-t6 lvl tank set. He respec'd prot for us to do this run. The lack of a single taunt really was only an issue on the bear rider trash...after that I didn't pull with AS anymore :D We did well, and he has a solid ret already so did good dps on the one boss fight he didn't have to aid in tanking. Fairly sure we still got a Bear then.
ehly

Postby Elsie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:52 pm

I've almost always gone with another tank. Just make sure the druid/warrior has some half-decent dps gear if your raid isn't overall geared out. Only comes up on eagle boss.\

edit: I'm dumb and misread as 'double tank.' Double tankadin works fine so long as neither of you acts stupid. an early judgment easily overrides consecrate. Most pulls are 4-5 mobs so you just split 1-3.

If anything it's more AOE damage which is hotsauce for lynx/eagle trash.
Last edited by Elsie on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie

Postby Maat » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:59 am

The only drawback of double protadins for ZA is that essentually you are 3-healing the portions that don't require an offtank. If your raiders are good and experienced with bear runs that should pose no issue - I've gotten a bear with 3 full-time healers and a prot warrior OT so...

I suppose one of the two could spec sanctity but for realz, who is going to respec 0/40/21 just for ZA?

I did double protadin the other night and honestly the only awkward moment was finding myself tanking Jan'alai instead of the hatchlings.
Maat

Postby Frickit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:21 am

recently tried this two times with two groups for the first time running with two pally tanks. I was very apprehensive. Everyone was excited to see how "easy" it would be.
no single target taunts make the initial pulls tough.
thats the biggest issue i saw. In general I think pallys make great maintanks for starting pulls and other classes (in za) make awesome off tanks for yanking a mob or two away. plus two tanks who require damage to build mana can be a little bit like not wanting to share.
ya, both runs didnt go so well. I like to be the only pally tank.

btw lucky...i wish i could tank jan'alai... just once lawl, ive done the hawks more times than i can count but never jan.
Frickit

Postby Seloei » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Double paladins? wheres the problem...

Two tanks is all i see, and it will work fine. One will end up tanking most of the trash, one will get one mob unless his TPS is less than consecrate (which is very unlikely). Did it a few times when we were learning za still. The only real problem was one of us had to chug mana pots eventually.

The only problem you might have is the Bear Riders before nalorak. Without a double taunt, you can't get just one and you have to JoR/B them to start off and if someone gets both, he will be almost impossible to pull them off from (HS + consec + SA)

Otherwise, dual paladins work great.
One tanks the eagles/protectors, the other one picks up wind walkers on eagle.
Bear riders might be a bit tricky, else is the same.
Extra stun for flame casters, no crushing tank even after he enrages.
If one tank gets mc'd the lynxes don't go for the aoe/healers straight but the other one.
Seloei

Postby Strendarr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 am

I love doing ZA with another prot paladin.

My wife usually plays holy, but she specced prot to offtank for me the other day. It went very smooth, one of us would pull and tank everything while the other drank, this meant the pulls went the fastest possible, faster than if I'd been relying on a rage-dependant OT. Also, having prot paladins means that the tank without aggro can bubble off bleeds etc.
Strendarr

Postby Cae » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 am

For bear runs it depends on if you have enough DPS to be fine with having 2.5 healers instead of 2 healers + .5 dps (or whatever a warrior tank dpsing amounts to).

For anything not timed, I prefer 2 paladin tanks because we can leapfrog each other easier (you take this pack, I'll take the next). Given, I'm doing it with a second tank who can also survive tanking three random mobs at a time, so taunt is a nonissue.

AKA /concur with Maat.
Cae

Next

Return to Zul'aman