Remove Advertisements

Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby quél » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 pm

hi,

we're going to try illidan for the third time this monday and i will mt him most likely and already tankd him on our second evening on him, but my healers say i'm eating way more damage (and it only would be luck to survive it) then our warrior who tankd him on our first evening. i never get sheard(only once on the first attempt), try to be fast out of Flamecrush, always have devotion aura up. so i dont know what i'm doing wrong in sight from the healers o.O. but i think i'm already kinda outgear him maybe they just dont like tankadins (also dont have too many chances to tank, but tanked archimond on our first kill :D). little help or answer would be nice thx ^^

oh and the healers mean p1/p3 not the enrage

my armory
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... %A9lthalas

warriors armory
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... on&n=Mensa
quél

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:42 pm

So you got more avoidance, more HP, and more armor than the warrior, and they say you take more damage?

Can i ask what drugs they use?

Btw, best way to tell healers to stfu is WWS. WWS a kill with you, a kill with him, show them you took 20% less damage, profit.
Worked for mines.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby quél » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:06 pm

thanks for the fast reply :P

i don't know what they take lol but i will try it with wws and show it to them :P

the only reasn why i "can" tank him is, 'cause our warriors aren't that good at avoiding shear^^
quél

Postby aureon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Afraithe wrote:Moroes trinket is the most overpowered item in this game.

idd.
normally i'm being topped off, so the Commendation procs only on Shears or Enrages.
68% avoidance buffed
+ 20% moroes
+ 8% KT
=96% avoidance. kill me bastard.
aureon

Postby Fizzgig » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:49 am

I had to share this with you all cause it was amazing hilarity.

Our first Illidan kill last night (yay)

We get him down to 3% and its coming out of a demon phase. Our tank picks him up for the normal phase and everyone is excited. The tank died at 5% the attempt before with a string of unlucky hits and healers not getting into position quick enough. So this time she gets down to 3,000 HP within 3-4 seconds, I Lay on Hands and pulled aggro from the 21k heal + Righteous Fury. I spun him around quick and it went back to the warrior, but we got him down. It was epic and I had to share. :)
Fizzgig

Postby Mex » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:02 am

Much <3 to Worldie for this guide. I had a brief glance at it a few weeks ago and thought "man I'd love to tank Illidan one day". Logged on the other day and was greeted with "grats on tanking Illidan tonight". One of our warriors wowquit and the other went over his download limit and got his download speed throttled.

We've been farming him for ages but it was still a pretty tense fight, went incredibly smoothly, although I think there were two occassions where he sheared right as I was refreshing Holy Shield. I only avoided it through shall we say ... sheer luck :)

Only ended up having to tank 2 enrages, so seed and SMI got me through fine. That combined with 31k armour with inspiration, ironshield, devo aura and unbreakable (Bulwark proc, 2k armour) meant that my health very rarely dipped too low at all. I think Commendation only procced once the entire fight.

Only one minor snafu with the final P4->P3 transition, warlock opened with a huge sbolt crit and pulled. Otherwise was a very smooth kill, culminating with our second offhand glaive (third overall) and a CVoS.

Cheers again Worldie, I've been checking out your Brut guide and hoping I get a chance to have a go at him soon too!
Mex

Postby Alienne » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks so much for the awesome guide! My guild had its first-ever kill of Illidan on Thursday, after about 3 weeks of attempts, with me main tanking Illypants himself. I never would have been able to do it without this info--on our first night of attempts, I hadn't read the guide yet, and I got sheared over and over again. It was beyond frustrating, because it kept happening in the 0.32 seconds of server lag between holy shield refreshes.

I was determined to record our first kill, because try as I might, I'd never been able to find a video of a paladin main tanking this fight. So my humble blurry footage now graces YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgBDA-Bc34

Thanks again for a wonderful guide!
I'm still not getting enough mana back--do I have to take my pants off again?
Alienne

Postby Magnusharkov » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:33 am

Ok, this is progression for us at the moment. I have a few non tanking related questions.

1) Can pets catch parasites if they get melee'd?
2) I've been told that pets, totems and combat rez's can cause bugs during phase 2, so we currently don't use them. Has anyone got any confirmation on this?
3) When learning the fight what do people find is the best tactic for dealing with tentacle demons? It seems there are 2 strategies. The first more aggressive one is to keep all your ranged DPS up front and in range and use aoe bursts to try to take down demons before they reach anyone. The second strat is more like the one in Worldie's video, all ranged DPS take up very defensive positions far far away from illidan with only the lock tank and his healers up front, this gives more time to kill demons.
4) When do you typically use heroisms when learning? Right now we're mainly struggling with positioning in phase 4 and reliably getting through phase 2.
Magnusharkov

Postby quél » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:17 pm

today we managed to make our firstkill on illidan with me mt'ing him everthing went actualy very good, had 2 enrages i think and i have to thank you for this guide worldie or i would get sheard every time xD

and the loots on our first kill are:
offhand glave, bullwark(wich is mine :D) and the spire of karabor

and here is wws: http://wowwebstats.com/sk1hqynuiwgjo?a= ... 125-117032
quél

Postby Worldie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 pm

Magnusharkov wrote:Ok, this is progression for us at the moment. I have a few non tanking related questions.

1) Can pets catch parasites if they get melee'd?
2) I've been told that pets, totems and combat rez's can cause bugs during phase 2, so we currently don't use them. Has anyone got any confirmation on this?
3) When learning the fight what do people find is the best tactic for dealing with tentacle demons? It seems there are 2 strategies. The first more aggressive one is to keep all your ranged DPS up front and in range and use aoe bursts to try to take down demons before they reach anyone. The second strat is more like the one in Worldie's video, all ranged DPS take up very defensive positions far far away from illidan with only the lock tank and his healers up front, this gives more time to kill demons.
4) When do you typically use heroisms when learning? Right now we're mainly struggling with positioning in phase 4 and reliably getting through phase 2.

1) yes, so keep pets away from people parasited
2) was hotfixed years ago. Still you'd better wait to combat ress until start of P3, a combat ressed person might get gibbed by a bad timed fireball
3) keep everyone at max distance and have dps with slowing effects "assigned" to each side. Priorize demons on healers / tanks, max priority to warlock tank and his healers.
4) we used it to kill the first flame (the first flame tank was our former MT, so he was quite good at aggro), and later at start of last phase right after maiev event.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Enkal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 am

Got to tank Illidan on my guilds first night on him last night. I actually had mana issues on a couple of attempts, really weird feeling. :)

I handled the CD on HS by popping HS when there's 2-3 sec left of his starting speech. Worked pretty well, ate 1 shear n died, ate another and survived thanks to Moroes the almighty! :twisted:

Now comes the strange part, the flames of azzinoth behaved really really strange... charging all over the place when the tanks were much closer than 30 yards. Guess I should post this in the FoA thread tho. :oops:
Enkal

Postby Tieran » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:57 pm

After two days of attempts the git is dead.

I very nearly lost my temper due to continually dieing every time maiev stuck a trap in range.. but nvm :P

Was a fun night, even better as it was a server first for a paladin to MT, and the cherry on the cake was the faceplate which dropt :)

E - Thanks worldie :) this guide was very helpful when I was explaining to the rest of the guild about paladins on this fight.
Tieran

Postby Enkal » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:40 am

Thanks for the great guide!

Got him to 21% last night and solved the Flames issue from the post on that. Got gibbed by him after the stun at 30%.. 9.2k + 4.7k + 9.7k in 3 seconds once. :roll:

Next time we reach him it's a kill for sure! 8)
Enkal

Postby Marklevin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 pm

i'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but how will we deal with shear in 3.0? because I believe the diminishing returns from avoidance stats will kick in, and thus make it hard to get the 101.8% dodge/parry/block, even warriors will have a hard time with shield block being on a 1 min cooldown
Marklevin

Postby Worldie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Just stack *more* avoidance.

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple