Tanking Tidecaller's Adds.

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Tanking Tidecaller's Adds.

Postby Rayzon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Well, tanking all the little murlocs us kind of weak, as I'm sort of to tanking bosses, but that's what the guild wants me to do. The problem is, even though I am spamming FoL right from the start of Earthquake, the adds always go to someone else.

What am I doing wrong?

I think we might have me just tank Tidecaller, as I have more charges on block to burn then a Warrior, and have a Holy Pally take the adds. Is that a good idea?
Rayzon

Postby Emmi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:58 pm

The way we do that fight, is I cover one entrance/hallway, and two OT's (Warrior/Warrior, or Warrior/Druid) cover the other hallway.

I pick up my side with Avenger's Shield, JoR, and Consecrate (swapping targets to a murloc that was not hit my AS). This will generally keep them on me, and overcome healing threat. You have to be sure that you Consecrate in front of the group so they run through it. If you miss one or two, quickly target them and taunt them from range.

Once you have them gathered, take them to the AoE spot; for us, the other two tanks bring their Murlocs to me since the AoE area is centered on me. By that time, I usually have my second Consecrate going. Once they get in range, I Consecrate again, wait for three ticks, then call for AoE. They usually die in 3-5 seconds, staying on me the whole time.

The guilds I have seen/heard of using the heal strategy, usually have a Holy Paladin spamming heals (41/20/0), mostly on Warlocks that have Life-tapped, while having Righteous Fury up. You have to put out a TON of healing (50% threat on our healing spells), and Prot Paladins have a really hard time with Mana if they try to heal for threat. We have other, better tools for agro generation.

Either way works, I found that being a bit more direct, and utilizing other OT's and OT specs for the other end of things, works the best and is easiest.

Good luck!
Emmi

Postby Parth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:40 pm

There is a really EASY way to do this, and my guild does this and i tank the tide walker adds..

This is what you do. you position the tide walker in the north west corner of the group... The warrior tanks it there and the dps is on tide walker...

Now, there is a special group with 2 healers, the paladin tank, and like 3 -4 Aoe [at least one warlock]

This group stands in the middle where tidewalker is originally standing. The healers in this group heal the aoe group w/ pally tank as well as people who are in the watery graves. This group is so far away from tidewalker, that they are out of range from his watery grave ability.

Now to grab agro on the tidewlker:

Have a warlock life tap down to 10% before the earthquake, as soon as the earthquake strikes, spam HOLY LIGHT [rank 9] on the warlock. At this point, after the earthquake, your healers not in the aoe group should only be healing the main tank and not the raid.. and even then they have to watch the agro. When you spam rank 9 holy light on the life taped warlock, u'll get agro on murlocks [hopefully] and after they come to u, the healers can heal everybody up again..

After the earthquake.. to reduce the threat of your healers, your healers should do the following:

-use low threat heals [SALVATION IS A MUST and the threat reducing totem helps too]

-ONLY.. ONLY.. heal the main tank until the paladin has agro..

-NO CHAIN HEAL, NONE, they generate immense healing agro..

Once the murlocs are on u consecrate and all that, and ure aoe group should burn them down easily..

It is also essential that your aoe group not go running off dpsing tide walker [even if they get bored standing there]..

At 25%, the MT will have to move tide walker to that hallway thing, so ure out of range of gobules... and u should still keep healing for murloc agro, and consecrate once they get near you...
Parth

Postby khash » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:25 pm

pretty much see the poster above me, thats what we use and it works great except we have the aoe stand at the top of the ramp so they can dps tidewalker as well

3 holy lights will get you aggro before they get to you from 100-25% after that youll only get 2 off before the first group reaches you once you move into the hallway

the warlock should start tapping as soon as the EQ hits and you should immediately go HL HL HL cons, lather rinse repeat, call in aoe after the 2nd group reaches you and you get cons on them all
khash

Postby Oranniv » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:57 pm

I use AS on the first murloc I see, drop consecration, and put up holy shield. I stack as much spelldamage gear as I can also. You won't die to murlocs, even if you try, due to the talent that reduces damage once you're below the 35% mark.

It's better to have you on the adds for this fight due to the way we're built.
Oranniv

Postby Kvaern » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:03 pm

We put all the healers right under morogrim and have the a couple of holy paladins (With RF up) and myself spamheal when they spawn. The holy pallies will grab them and I'll get them on me after one tick of consecration, and should something go wrong then they will still run for my consecration no matter which healer got aggro.

Works like a charm and all your AOE damages morogrim as well.

Just ake sure you tank him in a spot which is reached by the murlocs from both sides at about the same time.
Kvaern

Postby khash » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:20 pm

the downside to that is that you have the potential to get tombed so it adds some luck factor to the fight, i used to do it that way as well, tanking them down by the tombs will be a one shot everytime
khash

Postby Lynk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:04 pm

my main is a lock, but i bring my pally in for this fight. i dont seem to have a problem soloing the murlocs. as soon as he quakes, get 2 holy lights off on the warlocks (they will probably be low on hp), and then dorp consecrate. one pack will reach you sooner. position them at a 90 degree angle from where they came from, then grab the other pack and consecrate again. take a few steps back. congrats, you have aggro.
Lynk

Postby Phaex » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Ye, just as easy as that.
I use 3 Holy Lights tho, but this depends on positioning i guess.
And i heal Hunters and stuff like that, to be sure nobody else than me is healing them.

Keep moving around abit, to prevent murlocs from surrounding you and doing more damage. Keep them in front of you.
Phaex

Postby Parth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:27 pm

khash wrote:the downside to that is that you have the potential to get tombed so it adds some luck factor to the fight, i used to do it that way as well, tanking them down by the tombs will be a one shot everytime

Yah, we tried like that back when we were doing first attempts on him. First 3 attempts we did were like that, and i kept getting watertombed... Then 4th attempt we did it where i tanked the adds in the middle, and we got him.
Parth

Postby Kvaern » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 am

khash wrote:the downside to that is that you have the potential to get tombed so it adds some luck factor to the fight, i used to do it that way as well, tanking them down by the tombs will be a one shot everytime

We have a warrior on itervene for the MT/AOE taunt should I get tombed duty.
Kvaern

Tidewalker Adds

Postby Destrina » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:32 am

The way I did it was have the entire raid except the watery grave healer stand right behind the boss. We had two prot pallies so one stood at his right leg, the other at his left leg. The adds all rushed the mt healers so we just stood there with consecrates going and when we had good enough aggro we called aoe. Couldn't have been easier.
Destrina

Postby Maranus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 am

Problem with that, is that you have a chance of 3-4 of your healers getting graved, and since you're committing two healers to grave/murloc duty, it seems even on healer getting graved could spell disaster.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Warrender » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:32 am

Maranus wrote:Problem with that, is that you have a chance of 3-4 of your healers getting graved, and since you're committing two healers to grave/murloc duty, it seems even on healer getting graved could spell disaster.

We've had healers get graved before and just have them call out on Vent and have the other healers pick up their slack. However, if I get graved at the wrong time, there's nobody to pick up my slack and it's a guaranteed wipe.

Tank them near the middle. It's a lot easier and allows one Prot Pally to pick up both packs QED.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Maranus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 am

Warrender wrote:
Maranus wrote:Problem with that, is that you have a chance of 3-4 of your healers getting graved, and since you're committing two healers to grave/murloc duty, it seems even on healer getting graved could spell disaster.

We've had healers get graved before and just have them call out on Vent and have the other healers pick up their slack. However, if I get graved at the wrong time, there's nobody to pick up my slack and it's a guaranteed wipe.

Tank them near the middle. It's a lot easier and allows one Prot Pally to pick up both packs QED.

Currently, my guild uses a holy pally to tank the murlocs (my pally is my alt, besides, we're usually short on AoE, so I'm more needed on my main) and if all our holy pallies get graved, we have our warriors/ferals try to suck it up something fierce.

Honestly, I think I'd prefer having the AoE tank/group at the graves, because as it stands we only use on healer at the graves, and he can't get LoS on every grave simultaneously, much less gaurentee no one will die. Then again, if we had better raid healing, they wouldn't go into the grave at an HP where they might die... and from there it's the blame game...
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations