Remove Advertisements

Consolidated WotLK profession perks (which are you taking?)

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Extermi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:16 am

I actually just dropped engineering (I was outgearing the engineering helm, and the new recipes just look like gimmicks) and powerleveled mining for the stamina buff. My other profession is enchanting, and as the ring enchants are the equivalent of an epic gem each in terms of items stats its roughly equivalent (with mostly damage/aggro choices) to the 2 additional sockets BS would bring.

If LW provides much more benefit than the 35 stamina in the long run (read:at level 80 with epic recipes) then I might consider changing. I would expect this to stay in the same area than BS, JC and enchanting is now (roughly 2 epic gems worth) though, so mining being simple and not requiring re-enchanting gear all the time looks attractive still.

Extermi
Extermi
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Postby Cakes » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 am

Just as an aside to all those thinking of doing Leatherworking, it is extremely easy to level LW up in a day if you drop whatever profession you have and get skinning first. You can collect most all the mats you need while levelling skinning up, and then solo farm Black Morass for all the high level leather you need. I think I spent a week on and off farming mats for LW, and hit 375 in a few hours after getting all the mats I needed.
Cakes
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:38 am

Currently Mining/BS, and I have been planning for a while to drop Mining once my alt hits Outland for Jewelcrafting. The new stuff from WotLK has made me even more eager to go this way.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6805
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Postby Zumor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:43 am

I stick with mining and BS,
when I have my second char on 80 I will drop Mining and skill JC,
I keep mining so I can easier level my BS and pushing JC isnt that hard with a char filled with gems ready to cut from Mining ^^
Zumor
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 am

Postby Solitatis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:45 am

Enchanting / Armor smith.

May dump armor smith if the meta socket is not implimeted, then LW bracer/leg enchant is better for stamina.

Mining is a fluke, and not worth the trade skill slot, in min/maxing. why get 35 sta when you can get 90 from LW?
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
User avatar
Solitatis
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Postby Temero » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:52 am

Hmmm can't quite understand all the JC love. In terms of the epic gems you can only use 3 BOP types at a time, so if you went all stamina thats only a 33 stamina benefit. As a profession JC is awesome, but in terms of min/max benefits it seems kinda lacking still compared to BS/LW.
Image
Temero
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:16 pm

Postby Niemen » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 am

my decision will greatly depend on the availability of the recipes in Wotlk. If standard epic gems are only availably in T9 content, they will not be available to me for at least 1 year (my server is lagging behind, so far, only two guilds managed to defeat Kalecgos, while Brutallus is still undefeated). In that case, i might switch to jewelcrafting, as they will probably give the best boost to my stats. In addition, having 3 prismatic gems will certainly help getting the most socket bonusses without having to use too many semi-optimum gems.

On the other hand, Engineering promises to be quite interesting, especially as i intend to do more arena in Wotlk. I also like enchanting, not only because of the ring enchants but also as a way to make money by running low level instances and disenchanting the bop loot.
Niemen
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:38 pm

Postby Murbella » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:24 am

Seems kind of dumb they didn't make engineering enchants stack with other enchants as they're way meh looking. If they wanted to make them unique and fun (which they did it seems), it would have helped them to have them stack since i really dont see how any of them compare to other options.

"hey engineer, you can put a super long cast grenade on your gloves"
"Hey blacksmith, you can socket your gloves for 33 stam or whatever"

hard choice, am i right? That doesn't even count the new 2% threat and 10 parry rating enchant which DOES stack with the BS socket bonus.

But hey we get a hog so that makes it worth it, right?

Without major changes from what i've seen, engineering seems to be falling way behind the curve and i will be going from enchanting/engineering to enchanting/blacksmith very likely.
User avatar
Murbella
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:38 am

Postby Lieris » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:34 am

Murbella wrote:Seems kind of dumb they didn't make engineering enchants stack with other enchants as they're way meh looking. If they wanted to make them unique and fun (which they did it seems), it would have helped them to have them stack since i really dont see how any of them compare to other options.


Yep it completely defeats the point in making them enchants.

That said I am sticking with Engi/BS, I think they will be the best professions for tanks in WotLK.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Postby Wakeman » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:11 am

I expect they will add epic engineering goggles when WotLK goes live, or very soon after that. Otherwise engineer QQ posts will fill up the whole professional forum.

Alchemy's crazy alchemist potion and the extra bonus from potion will be handy. However, the BS extra socketing looks wonderful.....
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby Dimetrius » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:28 am

I currently have a skinning/LW boomkin and an engineering/mining paladin.

The idea would be to drop engineering for BS. When I level my druid I might be tempted to drop mining on my pala, put that on my druid and get leatherworking instead of mining on my paladin.

But it'll be pain.
Image
User avatar
Dimetrius
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Postby Geostigma » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:33 am

I plan on waiting a while and see what it brings when it's actually released, it is too early for me to drop engineering at least.
User avatar
Geostigma
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:28 am

Postby Warcraft » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:47 am

Lieris wrote:
Murbella wrote:Seems kind of dumb they didn't make engineering enchants stack with other enchants as they're way meh looking. If they wanted to make them unique and fun (which they did it seems), it would have helped them to have them stack since i really dont see how any of them compare to other options.


Yep it completely defeats the point in making them enchants.

That said I am sticking with Engi/BS, I think they will be the best professions for tanks in WotLK.

I disagree with that... Whether in classic WoW where it was the strongest profession or in TBC where it was the weakest profession, Engineering has always been about sacrificing certain things in exchange for giving your character unique (and often tide-turning) utility.

It's the price you pay for greatness and enchants actually make it the cheapest it's ever been, since giving up an enchantment slot is a lot easier than giving up a whole equipment slot. If you feel otherwise then I'm sure you will still be able to make those green level 45 Parachute Cloaks in WotLK.
User avatar
Warcraft
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:49 am

Postby Temero » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 am

Well thing I like about blacksmithing and leatherworking specials atm is that they take the best item you can get in that slot and make it much better. Enchanting special already shows its catering to casters with the upgradeable wands being shown thus far. Though the tankatronic goggles were a godsend and overpowered for the point in the game where I could make them it eventually lost out and after that, though mote extracting is awesome as well, once the goggles became obsolete the profession pretty much took a dive to me which is why I didn't hestitate to drop it in favor of blacksmithing.
Image
Temero
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:16 pm

Postby Lieris » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:07 am

Warcraft wrote:
Lieris wrote:
Murbella wrote:Seems kind of dumb they didn't make engineering enchants stack with other enchants as they're way meh looking. If they wanted to make them unique and fun (which they did it seems), it would have helped them to have them stack since i really dont see how any of them compare to other options.


Yep it completely defeats the point in making them enchants.

That said I am sticking with Engi/BS, I think they will be the best professions for tanks in WotLK.

I disagree with that... Whether in classic WoW where it was the strongest profession or in TBC where it was the weakest profession, Engineering has always been about sacrificing certain things in exchange for giving your character unique (and often tide-turning) utility.

It's the price you pay for greatness and enchants actually make it the cheapest it's ever been, since giving up an enchantment slot is a lot easier than giving up a whole equipment slot. If you feel otherwise then I'm sure you will still be able to make those green level 45 Parachute Cloaks in WotLK.


Who in their right mind would put those enchants on their gear though? It's so stupid that I am genuinely lost for words.

Glove enchants aside they are abilities you use out of combat anyway so why not stick to my rocket boots and parachute cloak as is instead of gimping myself? You can't even use rocket boots in arena so I really don't see what would be so OP about giving engineers the ability to trick out their raiding gear with gadgets.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest