Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Uncrushable Confusion

Postby honorshammer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm going to quote part of Tanking 101 by Gesalt

Combat Table Manipulation

Miss
Dodge
Parry
Glancing Blow (only players and pets versus mobs)
Block
Critical
Crushing Blow (mobs only)
ordinary hit

Values on the table can slide off the bottom, not the top. Additionally, certain effects may directly reduce other values (for example, Defense will reduce the range of Critical, and increase the range of Miss). This is how the mitigation numbers can be true "absolute values". If your block rate is 65% at the time of the attack, "Block" will have a value of 65% of the table. If there isn't enough room for all 65% (for example, if your Miss, Dodge, and Parry already totalled 40%), the excess Block will "fall off" the table. Note that at that point Critical, Crushing, and Ordinary Hit have already been pushed off.

What I don't understand is this:

If 490 Defense makes you Uncritable, then haven't you already pushed Crushing Blow off the table because Crushing is below Critical?
honorshammer

Postby Vanifae » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:04 pm

490 defense only makes you crit immune to most normal mobs in the game, not totally immune some mobs have higher then normal crit chance.

You need like 102% avoidance for crush immunity with Holy Shield.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Shai » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:28 pm

With defence you are reducing your chance to be crit, not pushing it off the table so unfortunately crushing blows can still remain. :(
Shai

Postby Lore » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:09 pm

490 defense makes you "uncrittable" just in a different way than stacking avoidance makes you "uncrushable." It reduces your chance to be crit and increases your chance to be missed - so 490 defense effectively takes the "crit" portion of the attack table and moves it to the "miss" portion. Stacking avoidance works differently in that it removes all other possibilities from the hit table.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby honorshammer » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Thank you all so much for your responses.
honorshammer

Return to Basic Training & Talents