Remove Advertisements

How to tank Temporus effectively?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How to tank Temporus effectively?

Postby Glorypaladin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:41 pm

Hello, Fellow paladins.

I hope this is the right place to ask a question. Anyways, I want to get some of your past experience with this dragon boss in Black Morass.

I finally got myself attuned to Kharazan by successfully finishing BM with my guildies. I was MTing this dragon boss doing nothing too much different from anything.

However one of the guildy told me that this boss would be much harder with PUG if the class combo. is not that good.
(We had me as a tank, a nice priest, and the rest was all insane range DPSers.)

Do you have any good strategy against this fearsome boss in BM? If you do, please enlighten me.
Glorypaladin
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:49 pm

The trick to this fight is simply avoiding the debuffs. When I first did this fight, I got it stacked to 8 or 9, used bubble giving threat to a rogue who evasion tanked for 5-6 seconds, then clicked off bubble when the stack fell off. It's dangerous, but can work.

Since then i've been working really hard to get crushing blows off for Kara bosses, and now that I have about 27% dodge 5 man buffed, it never stacks past 2, and usually doesn't even get to 2.

It also helps to have the priest ready for dispell when he has haste up.
Image
User avatar
Aergis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:37 pm

Postby Glyhelm » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:28 am

You could also try a bubble, then taunt. Tricky, but it'll keep him on you for a few seconds while you're immune.
Glyhelm
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 am

Postby Arcand » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:44 am

If you wait for a knockback, that gives you several seconds out of combat for free. I've often wondered if you could just get knocked back and run away to get enough time for the debuffs to fall off. Probably simpler to just pull him a bit away from the others, bubble and as soon as the debuffs fall off drop the bubble and reel him back in with RD.

(Taunting while the shield's up is perilous, since it leaves you counting on an Avenger's Shield to pull Temporus back onto you after the debuffs drop off. Not a problem, I guess, if your DPS are cool-headed enough to lay off until you have aggro again.)
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Glyhelm » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:22 am

Arcand wrote:(Taunting while the shield's up is perilous, since it leaves you counting on an Avenger's Shield to pull Temporus back onto you after the debuffs drop off. Not a problem, I guess, if your DPS are cool-headed enough to lay off until you have aggro again.)


I agree. If you do find yourself in this situation, however, I'd really suggest getting in melee range of Temporus and using a Judgment of Righteousness instead of using an Avenger's Shield. Simply because you need 110% of the current target's aggro to force the mob to switch targets in melee. But that becomes 130% aggro to switch to a ranged target.
Glyhelm
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 am

Postby orubim » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01 am

Aergis wrote:Since then i've been working really hard to get crushing blows off for Kara bosses, and now that I have about 27% dodge 5 man buffed, it never stacks past 2, and usually doesn't even get to 2.


I have also noticed the same thing. The most I have gotten stacked with since my gear improved was 3 in a run last night, and the healer could keep me up easily.

As for class makeup, my smoothest runs have been made with 2 paladins (I am Prot and my friend Ret), 1 shadow priest, 1 mage and 1 fury warrior. The mage controlled the adds while the rest of us burned the Rift Lords/Keepers down. Not optimal by any means, but it works very well.
orubim
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: Singapore

Postby Lore » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:33 am

Glyhelm wrote:
Arcand wrote:(Taunting while the shield's up is perilous, since it leaves you counting on an Avenger's Shield to pull Temporus back onto you after the debuffs drop off. Not a problem, I guess, if your DPS are cool-headed enough to lay off until you have aggro again.)


I agree. If you do find yourself in this situation, however, I'd really suggest getting in melee range of Temporus and using a Judgment of Righteousness instead of using an Avenger's Shield. Simply because you need 110% of the current target's aggro to force the mob to switch targets in melee. But that becomes 130% aggro to switch to a ranged target.


Not quite.

When you bubble, you keep all of your threat on the target, he's just ignoring you for the time being. That threat doesn't go anywhere, so when the bubble drops, you still have it. The mob just doesn't stop ignoring you until you do something - anything - that adds to your threat again. Essentially, you have to "remind" the mob that you're there, and then you get the threat back. Even a Blessing of Wisdom tick will do it.

So basically your threat before+after the bubble just needs to be 110%. If you've got a ton of threat, or even just have your dps hold off while you're bubbled, you should be able to get it back just by swinging your weapon at him.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Glyhelm » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Lore wrote:
Glyhelm wrote:
Arcand wrote:(Taunting while the shield's up is perilous, since it leaves you counting on an Avenger's Shield to pull Temporus back onto you after the debuffs drop off. Not a problem, I guess, if your DPS are cool-headed enough to lay off until you have aggro again.)


I agree. If you do find yourself in this situation, however, I'd really suggest getting in melee range of Temporus and using a Judgment of Righteousness instead of using an Avenger's Shield. Simply because you need 110% of the current target's aggro to force the mob to switch targets in melee. But that becomes 130% aggro to switch to a ranged target.


Not quite.

When you bubble, you keep all of your threat on the target, he's just ignoring you for the time being. That threat doesn't go anywhere, so when the bubble drops, you still have it. The mob just doesn't stop ignoring you until you do something - anything - that adds to your threat again. Essentially, you have to "remind" the mob that you're there, and then you get the threat back. Even a Blessing of Wisdom tick will do it.

So basically your threat before+after the bubble just needs to be 110%. If you've got a ton of threat, or even just have your dps hold off while you're bubbled, you should be able to get it back just by swinging your weapon at him.


You're absolutely right about the bubble not affecting your threat. It simply tags you as an invalid target. I was not, however, talking about the bubble at all.

Any enemy will physically switch targets to another target in MELEE range of the mob at 110% aggro. The mob will only break and run over to another player at a RANGE when that player has 130% of the aggro that the current target has. So if you have 110% aggro, but the mob has run away from you while you're immune, you will not automatically get him back when the bubble pops.

This difference is there to prevent people from "tanking" by kiting a boss back and forth between two mages.
Glyhelm
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 am

Postby Lore » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:04 pm

If you bubble and taunt, the mob will be on you for 6 seconds. If you time your bubble properly, the debuff will fall off before that 6 seconds is up. Plus, the boss will be on you the whole time (due to the taunt), so he won't be away from you ;)
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Kathryn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Lore wrote:If you bubble and taunt, the mob will be on you for 6 seconds.


Tell me your secret, i never ever ever had a mob on me for more than 2-3 sec after a bubble + taunt.

Also, JoL seems un-affected by the debuffs (correct me if i am wrong there its been a while) Maybe switch to JoL + SoL when you have 4-5 debuffs and solid aggro if you do that.. start consecrating higher ranks..
User avatar
Kathryn
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 am

Postby Arcand » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Lore wrote:If you bubble and taunt, the mob will be on you for 6 seconds.


Do you find it's 6 seconds? I've never gotten to count (because if I've hit RD I'm busy with several other forms of crisis management too) but it feels to me like it's lasting about three.

Guess I should run outside Shattrath with a stopwatch and a friend, annoy a spider and collect me some data.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Glyhelm » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:21 pm

Lore, you're really agreeing with everything I've said here, aren't you? :-P

How many posts was it going to take for me to realize that?
Glyhelm
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 am

Postby Lore » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Er, to be honest, I just kind of assumed 6 seconds since that's what the Warrior taunt is (I was a Warrior tank before BC). I've never really tested it, always been busy paying attention to everything but the mobs I just taunted when I'm in a situation where I need to taunt.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Kathryn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:50 pm

Lore wrote:Er, to be honest, I just kind of assumed 6 seconds since that's what the Warrior taunt is.


First rule of Paladin Tanking: We are not Warriors. =P
User avatar
Kathryn
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 am

Postby Illystral » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:04 am

Temp is easy if you have someone to remove the haste buff. I've tanked him many times and haven't ever had to kite or bubble off the debuff as long as someone promptly removed his haste.
Illystral
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?