Remove Advertisements

Caverns of Time 1: Way to Skarloc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Caverns of Time 1: Way to Skarloc

Postby Clive » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:56 pm

The way to Skarloc in "Escape from Durnholde Keep" really gives me the chills. Little time to mark, little room to use consecrate unless you'll end up breaking CC effects, less time to think about your actions. I've always tried to be not that much contigent on consecrate to fight against those "all Paladins are zero skill tanks cuz they only have to use Consecrate to have every mob's aggro until the end of time, lawl"-thougts but it's just a skill we need to build up aggro on groups, much threat on single targets. Tanking one target with HS+Seals can be close but it's still doable.

Coming to the the way to Skarloc: This is where I couldn't use Consecrate often. So I tried building up aggro on 2-3 mobs. Which is hard because they start attacking Thrall so they won't receive damage from HS/Ret Aura. Or in my case: Impossible. While I got the 2nd and 3rd off the healer's arse, the first target's aggro went almost in unreachable highs.

Well, what I have to say is that our groups wasn't that great. We had 2 random barely hero-ready DDs along who left many useful skills totally out of battle. Ideally, CCed mobs would have been out of my consecrate's range. But that's none of my concern right now. The question is: How do you react if there is no way to pull your targets away fast from CCed ones without using consecrate and breaking CC?
Clive

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Just, like, don't CC at all.

The mobs in that gauntlet are all either dual wielder (Holy shield > them) or casters. Focus down Wardens > Mages > Melees.

They don't hit hard at all, i remind easily aoetanking them back in T4.

If you really want to CC, CC mages since they will anyway remain outside melee range, thus your consecration will not break the sheep.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:04 am

Worldie wrote:Just, like, don't CC at all.

Yes, that's always my favorite option. :) However, sadly, this was not possible since the healer had problems keeping me alive with only 2 mobs on me (so I later had to leave a third mob on Thrall). I know our healer maybe had pretty few addheal on his druid but I always feel part-responsible if things run that bad. "Post your frustrations here" would have been my thread to post in, I guess. :D
Clive

Postby Martie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Since you should start at full health, grab aggro on all of them using consecrate, then CC after your first concrate ends. After they are CCed, move away from the crowd controlled mobs.

Agree to crowd control certain mobs, not on marks. IE one crowd controls wardens, another riflemen or mages.

Alternatively, since they are big mobs, you could use righteous defense on Thrall and crowd control whatever doesn't come your way.

You could stand a next to your healer and make your dps wait. As the mobs attack Thrall, crowd control a few and heal thrall a tiny bit. Most of the mobs should run to the healer, and into your concecration. Thrall should be able to survive that.

Tell your DPS to move mobs away from thrall, each picking up one noncontrolled mob. Then converge them somewhere and take them over.

Remember that you have multiple ways to make something lose aggro on a toon, including blessing of protection. Using it on, for example, your healer, should keep him quite safe while not impeding his casts.

Hope this helps.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Clive » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Martie wrote:
You could stand a next to your healer and make your dps wait. As the mobs attack Thrall, crowd control a few and heal thrall a tiny bit. Most of the mobs should run to the healer, and into your concecration. Thrall should be able to survive that.

Awesome. Great idea. That should do it if I can't AoE tank them all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Clive

Postby Sederia » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:01 am

note thrall can be single target buffed too
Kings, Priest sta buff, etc and he can take a hell of hit
Sederia

Postby fantine » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:28 am

Easiest way I've found with no CC:

Have your group wait back a bit and have Thrall charge. Throw an avenger's shield right as Thrall is charging and it will pick up the Warden/2 melee but leave the mage there. The mage typically at that point has aggro only on Thrall and won't bother you very much. Finish off the warden and drag the 2 other melee to the mage and get aggro on him before your healer gets aggro from the mage. I try and run this zone with a mage whenever possible so he can sheep their mage. Even in Hyjal/BT gear the mage really hurts me when he nukes.
fantine

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics