Azure-Shield of Coldarra
15%
Crest of the Sha'Tar
31%

Total votes : 26

Shields & Other

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 am

This topic makes me want to scream.

I've read over and over on shield options. Kara is tonight, so if Nightbane shield drops, this may be moot. But I'm going with the assumption it isn't.

I currently have like 2072 Arena Points.

IF the nightbane shield doesn't drop (and I was going to just get it this morning before someone reminded me Kara is tonight), I was going with Merc Glad's Shield Wall. I currently am using Platinum Shield of the Valorous, though I also just picked up Blood Knight's Defender.

I have 30-odd badges as well. The tanking gear pretty much sucks, are really only minor upgrades in most cases. Badge shield is an option.

I'm 16.5k/21k exalted with Sha'tar.

If I don't get Merc Glad's Shield Wall, I'll save arena points and get the s2 mace. But I know the Shield Wall is a pretty damn big upgrade.
Hollyhell

Postby Cragus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:52 am

Save for the s2 mace, and get the crest ofthe shatar in the short term, you could always get the NB one if it drops, but thats down to drop rates and we all know what that means.
Cragus

Postby shurakai » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:56 am

Cragus wrote:Save for the s2 mace, and get the crest ofthe shatar in the short term, you could always get the NB one if it drops, but thats down to drop rates and we all know what that means.

/agree

I used my Crest of the Sha'tar for all of Kara, Gruul and finally got my NB Shield the other day :D

Crest of the Sha'tar is quite good till you get to drop NB Shield or Aldori ^^

Shura
shurakai

Postby Ills » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:24 am

I got the Nightbane shield after having bought the Merc Gladiator's Shield Wall.

I still don't think I've equipped it for a single fight. The 1500AC advantage of the shield wall is too good for me to ignore.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Chevalier » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:23 pm

People always get the season 2 mace before the shield which I don't understand, (guess people need the extra threat badly) the shield gives you an extra 1.2k armor and 20 Block Value and 5 stamina over the Sha'tar (you lose 13 defense and 3 dodge), the merc. gladiator gavel only really gives you 104 spell damage, 7 spell hit and 7 int over the Continuum Blade (you lose 3 sta) for 1.68x the arena points.
You'd never see anyone here take 100 spell damage over 1.2k armor for any of the other gear selections but this one people go for the gavel. If I were tanking advanced content and needed more threat I would probably opt for righteous/T4 items. (personally im probably going to go for the barrier, 21 sta in exchange for 19 int and 33 spell damage)
So, none of the above, get the Merc. Gladiator Shield!
Chevalier

Postby jere » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Chevalier wrote:People always get the season 2 mace before the shield which I don't understand, (guess people need the extra threat badly) the shield gives you an extra 1.2k armor and 20 Block Value and 5 stamina over the Sha'tar (you lose 13 defense and 3 dodge), the merc. gladiator gavel only really gives you 104 spell damage, 7 spell hit and 7 int over the Continuum Blade (you lose 3 sta) for 1.68x the arena points.
You'd never see anyone here take 100 spell damage over 1.2k armor for any of the other gear selections but this one people go for the gavel. If I were tanking advanced content and needed more threat I would probably opt for righteous/T4 items. (personally im probably going to go for the barrier, 21 sta in exchange for 19 int and 33 spell damage)
So, none of the above, get the Merc. Gladiator Shield!

I have warlocks in my raid that consistantly crit for 6000-7000 dmg. WTB more threat.

Seriously though. It all boils down to what you need and availability. There are plenty of good tanking shields. The ALD is one example. The nightbane shield is another, and the (Merciless) Gladiator's Shield Wall is yet another. Threat weapons are in a bit shorter supply. Still if you don't need the extra threat for whatever reason, then yeah, the shield wall is a good thing to grab given you can make it fit your gear. Shoot, get both if anyone is worried.
jere

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 pm

It's not like I'm hurting for shields or anything. I have Blood Knight Defender and Plat Shield of Val already that I use. And from what I understand, BKD is pretty good (according to the list here on the site).

I missed out on ALD the other night (mixed guild gruul, I left early due to wife aggro) and the other guild got the shield (since it rarely seems to drop).

Yes, I realize the HUGE difference in AC and Block Value the Merc Glad's Shield has is nice... I'll wait to see what happens tonight. I personally would like a faster wep. for farming as well, which the Gavel would provide.
Hollyhell

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice