Remove Advertisements

Aran, How do you guys handle him?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Aran, How do you guys handle him?

Postby Baldihar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 am

First off, I want to thank you guys for an awesome site, I have been trolling for a while, made one post, but now have a question that i can't seem to find the answer for. :D

My guild has been doing Kara for some months now, but I had to take a break from WoW right after TBC came out (like a week after) I came back about 3 months ago, found this site, geared up, leveled up, and have been MTing Kara. Most of us in the Kara group have never stepped foot into kara until about a month ago, with the exception of our leader who has been all the way through, but not with a Pally MT. He had been waiting for me to come back from my break so he could get me to MT there.

We have so far made it to Shade without a hitch, but it seems we get him to 20% or so and people start dropping off like flies. My question is, how do you guys as Tankadins handle him, he doesn't need to be tanked really, just DPS hammered like crazy. Do you guys switch out to healing gear and help heal the big DPS'ers that don't have crap for hps or do you go straight for spell dmg and knock him in the dirt that way?

We are going to Kara again tonight and hope to get to Curator in the time we have, so tomorrow we have a fresh start straight for Shade, i would really like to drop him so we can move on.

Our group make-up is:

1-Prot Pally
1-Resto Shammy
2-Holy Pallies
1-Feral druid
2-Shadow Priests
1-Lock
1-Mage
1-Rogue

We have alot of caster DPS so makes the Curator fight rather interesting, jsut wondering how some of you more experienced Pally Tanks would handle this situation for Aran. I was thinking of going in with Healing gear and letting the DPS'ers handle him with the occational exorcism/AS from me. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated! :D and again, thank you for the awesome site! It makes my wife jealous that feral druids don't have a similar one that she has found.
Baldihar

Postby Baelor » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:25 am

I put on the healing gear, target Aran, and use a assist-heal macro to Flash of Light whoever he's targeting. Spam that key for most of the fight.
Move out of blizzards
Avoid the Arcane Explosion
Don't move during Flame Wreath
Bubble when the elementals spawn and spam Holy Light on those taking damage.
Collect loot
Go to chess

That's what I do.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Ills » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 am

Baelor wrote:I put on the healing gear, target Aran, and use a assist-heal macro to Flash of Light whoever he's targeting. Spam that key for most of the fight.
Move out of blizzards
Avoid the Arcane Explosion
Don't move during Flame Wreath
Bubble when the elementals spawn and spam Holy Light on those taking damage.
Collect loot
Go to chess

That's what I do.

Yeah, same deal, but I also throw in a stun or two on the elementals.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:41 am

I put on my Hammer of Naaru and smash him on the face, if you have three healers then you really just have to try and add some DPS. I keep Judgment of Light going, and just continue to wreck face.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby adese » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:09 am

I either heal or dps, depending on the makeup of the rest of the raid.

When I heal, I do as others said. I don't have an assist macro (that is a really good idea, though), I just manually heal who Aran has targeted.

If I am dpsing, I keep JoW up as much as I can, and just go crazy doing as much damage as I can. I try to throw the occasional heal, but that can get tricky with this AoE silence of those in melee range.
adese

Postby Tresjynn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Baelor wrote:I put on the healing gear, target Aran, and use a assist-heal macro to Flash of Light whoever he's targeting. Spam that key for most of the fight.
A macro that keeps you targeting Aran but healing his target-of-target? Would you happen to have that handy? I lack the macro background to do that without switching my target back and forth between Aran and whoever.
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Postby jere » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Tresjynn wrote:
A macro that keeps you targeting Aran but healing his target-of-target? Would you happen to have that handy? I lack the macro background to do that without switching my target back and forth between Aran and whoever.

Probably something like:

Code: Select all
/target Shade of Aran
/cast [target=targettarget] Flash of Light

though that is just a guess.
jere

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:23 pm

I put on healing gear, though my raid makeup is fairly different. We never run with more than 2 dedicated healers.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Tresjynn wrote:

Or you could show your Target of Target frame, click your Flash of Light button, then click the Target of Target frame.

Or press your Flash of Light button, then press your assist key.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Ills » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:27 pm

Actually, I don't have a macro for it, but I use sRaidFrames, which put red boxes around all raid members who have aggro. Handy in general, and very handy for this fight.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Baelor » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Tresjynn wrote:

All-in-one heal functionality
/cast [modifier:alt,target=player] Flash of Light; [target=target,help] Flash of Light; [target=targettarget,help] Flash of Light; [target=player] Flash of Light

If you hold alt and hit the button, you heal yourself, no matter what your target is. If your target is friendly, it casts max rank Flash of Light. If your target is hostile and targeting someone else, it casts max rank Flash of Light on the hostile's target, while you keep targeting the hostile. If your is hostile/neutral and targeting nothing, it casts max rank Flash of Light on you.

I use a similar macro for Holy Light, and they never leave my bar. I love this macro.

EDIT: I also use this macro for Blessing of Protection. There's nothing like tanking, some crazy mage pulling aggro, and you immediately BoP'ing them without losing your target for a second. Thank goodness for this macro and Target of Target frames.
Last edited by Baelor on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Silandra » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:50 pm

I get out my hunter axe, judge light on him, and go to town. Getting a 3k SoC Crit inbetween tanking is nice. ^_^
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

Postby Everlight » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:03 pm

I wear my high-threat tank gear and swing my Gorehowl in his face. When the healers need a bit of backup, I step back and throw some heals, then get back to pwning.

When the elementals come out, I grab one or two of them while they are taken under control.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a fifth wheel on that fight, but I'm contributing - cleansing people from the Mass Slow, spot healing, DPS, and tanking. All at once :P
Everlight

Postby Bosutei » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:47 pm

I put on Tanking gear for the fight and take the Elementals that aren't getting Banished/chainfeared.
If we have enough 'locks, Shockadin gear DPS or Ret gear DPS and go to town! >_>
Bosutei

Postby Anuji » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:24 am

Bosutei wrote:I put on Tanking gear for the fight and take the Elementals that aren't getting Banished/chainfeared.
If we have enough 'locks, Shockadin gear DPS or Ret gear DPS and go to town! >_>

yeah i do almost the same..
but "dps" him in spelldmg-tank-gear, then switch on the elementals so they can't shoot at our healers.. usually my maintarget elemental is down when he dies.. pretty amusing fight :D
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... ck&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' :D
Anuji

Next

Return to Karazhan