Remove Advertisements

should I use downranked Consecrate?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

should I use downranked Consecrate?

Postby icemanjmw » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 am

Okay, I am almost level 70 and I've been running instances a lot, eye on running a lot of heroics at 70 to get geared up. When I'm trying to hold aggro should I be using maxrank Consecrate all the time or just the first time and then lower rank after that? I still don't quite understand how each level is affected by spelldmg?

For example if I have +300 Spelldmg, how much will each rank of Consecrate get added to it's dmg?

Thanks in advance.
icemanjmw

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:31 am

If you downrank two ranks (to rank 4 at lvl 70) then you still get the same spellpower coefficent, so the reduced damage isn't quite as noticeable.

That said, I wouldn't downrank unless you're overgearing the content and finding yourself oom halfway through a pull.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby samsara » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 am

I think too you don't need to downrank cause at this stage you will eat a lot of dmg -> lot's of heal -> good manareg.

I stopped tanking nonhero/hero (except for good friends) cause its just no fun anymore, pulling 2 or 3 groups at a time helps sometimes but sometimes this is not possible and if you have cracy dd's which are in the same raid with you it's even more frustrating cause they start dmg or bombing at the time you throw your frisby. -> drinking after every second or third group.
samsara

Postby blkthunder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:25 am

I didnt know rank 4 consecrate had same spell dmg coeficient Ulu. Thats pretty awesome.

I only get to use downranked consecrate when my dps is lacking. If the dps is slow there really is no need to use max rank consecrate as your threat wont need to be as high on the other mobs you're tanking because they've had plenty of time to sit in the consecrate while your first mob is dying. If its really bad i go as far down as rank 1 :roll: but i generally dont stick around that group for too long.
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby Clive » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:42 am

I wonder why you should do that. Did you have problems holding aggro? If not (which presumes your infight manapool was alright) there is no reason to downrank Consecrate. Besides, you don't have to spam Consecrate all the time. Consider using Omen to keep track of your threat. It might be still a good idea to use a downranked Consecrate on longer boss fights before you run totally oom and lose aggro. Anyhow, boss fights shouldn't take too much time right now so it probably won't be necessary.
Clive

Postby Katerina » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 am

In five mans I usually use max rank at the pull because mana is an issue. I'll forgo HS too to try and take some damage when I need mana.

In unlimited mana situations, then I don't downrank.

It is ironic that the level of gear that makes dpsers burn through stuff at an alarming rate makes them more of a pain to tank, lol.
Katerina

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics