Remove Advertisements

need some help with flames

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

need some help with flames

Postby Devotions » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:45 am

ok heres the rundown.
we had our first night at illidan attemps the other night. we quickly got him into phase 2 where i wiped us several times. the big issue was my positioning but ive been working on it and am ready to bring the A game sunday night. my 2nd concern is gear. in my fr gear unbuffed i have 320 spelldamage with 381 fire resist. im far below the defense cap so i offset it with some pvp pieces for the resiliance. i have tried swapping out one fr piece for a normal piece but every one drops me below 365 fire resist.

from what the healers have told me they have no problems healing me which is good but i dont think im generating enough tps. the warrior tanking the other flame had double my tps.

1)is there anything i can do to build more threat?

2)should i be using flask of fort or blinding light?

3)do i need to replace some armor kits with fire resist armor kits and try and work some regular tanking pieces back in?

4)any advice is welcome :)

i did go through the forums and found out they were in fact demons(never noticed that) so i will add exorcism into my rotation. that should help a little bit.

here is my armory in case you want a rundown of the pieces i have equipped http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Firetree&n=Devotions

thanks guys

Skinning a bear should aggro every bears in a 40yd radius
Devotions

Postby Vasilissa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:38 am

The thing I can suggest about your gear is to wear normal tanking bracers and wear fire resist cloak. The best choice imo would be http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31341 with 15 fire resist enchant.
Vasilissa

Postby Solitatis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:34 am

Onyxia trinket would be nice addition, if TPS is a problem use blinding light. Remember that the flames are demons so remember to use exosism.

An other good trick is to have a healing pally do the FR aura, That will give you an other aura to either midigate damage, or build more TPS.

Last but not least. Get rid of +10 sta on your Gloves. Go for spelldamage if your TPS is below 1k, but it should be higher. I suggest +2% threat! and enchant you bracers! -and maby dump +15 def en chest if you not caped.

Or have two warriors/bears tank flames and go for illidan like I do :P
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:18 am

the blue Illdari flame cloak is better than that if you can find it on AH

If you are having threat problems let them kill yours 2nd
Lightbeard

Postby Devotions » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:54 am

thanks for the replys.
im gonna check around for the FR cloak and do some dailys while im still ret and get some money for some better enchants :P i'll probabally use blinding light to squeeze out that extra bit of tps. again thanks and wish me luck on sunday :)

Devotions

Postby Karador » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:02 am

I got thrown in tanking flames pretty early and a few tricks I can tell you to help you.....

#1. Make sure you are at or over 490 def ( it can be tough but make sure you hit it )

#2. When the glaive on your side comes down drop a concecrate and hit a destro pot and blow your wings.

#3. Move the flame as little as you can to get yourself out of the flames. That will let you keep a tighter path and not have to worry about winding up on active flame patches when you loop around.

#4. With Max FR the eye beam trails on the ground are not something to worry walking through or even standing in. Just make sure your healers are not taking a nap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-JwrLV ... re=related

Take a look at that Vid and i hope that helps you out. GL With Illidan.
Karador

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:04 am

When I did it i was at like 437 defense and like 80 something resil
Lightbeard

Postby Karador » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:06 am

Yea light you can get away with less than cap def to a point. Only reason im stressing he get over 490 def and FR capped is if they are going to kill his second it leaves him open longer to more hits that could turn very ugly without it.
Karador

Re: need some help with flames

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:31 am

Devotions wrote:3)do i need to replace some armor kits with fire resist armor kits and try and work some regular tanking pieces back in?

Yes, you do. The flames don't do physical damage of any kind.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Devotions » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:46 pm

i worked in some fr armor kits and swapped in my tanking bracers. things went great and i quickly got the hang of it. unfortunately one of our pally healers had to leave cause his brother went into the hospital and they made me respec holy and brought in a druid to tank. /sigh the life of a pally i guess.

Devotions

Postby Seloei » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Bah, missed the time when your FR gear was there.

Anyhow, i wear a high resilience set to get the cap. ZA ring, trinket from HUB and a full inferno weave set with a slikk's cloak with +15 fire resist. I'l try to log out in it later today.

TPS in resist sets for each tank is bollocks, but it can be overcome.

Grind the 15 "pvp marks" from hellfire/zangramarsh and get that trinket, it's quite good.

When the glaive is about to land, seal up crusader, consecrate when the glaive lands, judge crusader, reseal righteous and move him where you start the kite path.

Rotation i use : judge/reseal, exorcism, consecrate

Don't bother with holy shield, his elemental so you can't block.

Oh errr... being critable isn't that bad, althto it would be nice if you weren't. Normal hits with capped res are around 1.5k-2k, crits upto 5k but the flames on the ground are much higher than his melee hits.
Seloei

Postby Diocaska » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:20 am

One thing I noticed.

from what the healers have told me they have no problems healing me which is good but i dont think im generating enough tps. the warrior tanking the other flame had double my tps.

If this is the case, they could kill the other Elemental first.

In my opinion, this is how I rate stats for this fight:

365 Fire resistance
>
Uncritable
>
13k unbuffed Hp
>
Threat

Im pretty sure I did it in about 13.5k hp the majority of the times. Had mine killed first and second. If you want my gear list, I can do it by memory but I might have to check it :P
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Devotions » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:21 am

thanks for all the tips we got illidan out of phase 2 finally after 2 more hours of getting annihilated by eye beams only to get destroyed in P3-demon form. now that i got phase 2 down we should hopefully get him down this week :wink:

Devotions

Postby Slamdorff » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:01 am

What am I missing? Being a bit below capped for fire resistance should be no problem as it is only percentage partial damage taken - based on how much fire resist you have.

Will the flames have a chance to hit you full if you are not fire resist capped? I can't see that anywhere. Pls correct me.

Giving up, lets say, +10 fire res to be able to cap defense seems a fair trade, or..?

Cheers,

Slam
Slamdorff

Postby Vasilissa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:41 am

Getting pvp trinket helps a lot in the terms of getting uncrittable.
Vasilissa

Next

Return to Black Temple