Tanking the High king

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Tanking the High king

Postby Perico » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:27 am

Question for my fellow Paladins:

Any tips on tanking High King Mulgar?

These are my completely unbuffed stats:

Was planning to use Flask of Fortification, have Ironshield pots, pop a spicy crawdad.
Perico

Postby Mortehl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 am

Avoidance avoidance avoidance. And High Stamina.

Don't worry about threat. You'll have a huge lead time.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Re: Tanking the High king

Postby Voldiir » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 am

Perico wrote:Question for my fellow Paladins:

Any tips on tanking High King Mulgar?

These are my completely unbuffed stats:

Was planning to use Flask of Fortification, have Ironshield pots, pop a spicy crawdad.

You should be ok. So long as you are uncrushable (keep HS up). Do whatever you can to have more and more health (JoL helps too. He hits like a truck). I find that High king can kill you real fast if you don't have enough health. More than likely, you will not have access to the Warlock Imp buff (since they are enslaving) or the Warrior's Commanding Shout (since they should be off tanking something else or dpsing).

15k max health should be enough if you have decent healers keeping you up.

Last time I tanked High King, I kept dying. I've got over 16k health with those buffs w/o flask (over 18k fully buffed). As it turns out, one of the healers who was supposed to be healing me wasn't. I'm suprised that the one and a half healers who WERE healing me kept me up as long as they did.
Voldiir

Postby Perico » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:55 am

Awesome.

Thanks for the information.
I should have 2 priests and a pally healer on me at all times and I figure somewhere between 16-17 k buffed.
Avoidance a little over 55% from dodge/parry/block.

This will only be our second attempt at him, and our uber geared warrior is out of town.

Just wanted to make sure I was in the right ballpark to down this guy.
Perico

Postby Aergis » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:47 am

If you happen to get one shotted by the arcing smash, regular hit, mighty blow combo, make sure the raid knows that. Several times early in our maulgar attempts this combo would hit me, 3 hits in 1.5 seconds and I'd be dead near instantly. It's just bad luck on timing of his abilities, and happens to everyone, not because you're a pally.

Good luck :D
Aergis
Site Admin

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations