Potion sickness V.2

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Elsie wrote:I've used over 50 iron shield potions in a single night on M'uru. This is an amazing buff to a tank's wallet since you can't exactly 'wait' to iron shield like haste, mana, etc potions.

I don't think alchemists and herbalists will get hurt by the change. Flasks are still around. Hell, people will have saved so much money on potions they might {gasp} use elixirs more often. Inscription might require something from other non-gathering professions like enchanting sometimes does. Yes, a potion mastery alchemist might be a little screwed, but they could be redoing that anyway - we don't know.

I wonder if you can use an Ironshields before the pull, and then again 2minutes later? That would give you 4 minutes of Ironshield use on a boss.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Elsie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm

I hope not.
Elsie

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Elsie wrote:I hope not.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Hammerjudge » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:19 am

Worldie wrote:I quite had enough of using over nine thousand ironshields per raid, and i'm sure our healers and casters think same of mana pots.

Agreed.
Hammerjudge
Maintankadonor

Postby kurros » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:39 am

Elsie wrote:Mining looks good till you realize Blacksmithing gives items and a new socket you can put a 35 gem in. Or JC with BoP items and JC-Only gems. Or enchanting with new ring enchants possibly more beneficial than 35 stam. Or inscription with an extra Major Glyph slot.

No, the gathering professions are still just money makers. It just no longer completely gimps your character now.

Uh, I don't fully agree.

So far, enchanting has ZERO new tanking enchants. We could use the AP or spell damage enchant for threat, but nothing to increase our survivability or threat in WoTLK.

Glyphs are a huge unknown, there might only be a couple good tanking glyphs so the extra might not really help us in our main role, it might just be a bonus for those who like to respec often.

The extra BS socket is cool, but it could be weak endgame- there is a hard limit of 3 sockets per item apparently, so if your endgame tank gear comes with 3 slots from the token vendor the BS can't add a socket. And a single socket would add 30 stamina, not 35, which is a bit less than the mining bonus still.

And your comparison of JC and mining is flawed. You don't get +35 stamina from using the JC specific gem (actually it is +41 stamina), you get 41 stamina minus whatever you would get from using a regular gem. A "regular" epic stamina gem is +30 stamina, so that is only an 11 point gain. Now the JC gem is prismatic so you might be able to get an extra 6 stats from matching a set bonus or something, but 17 stamina is still a long way off from 35 stamina.

You can also use the dodge, defense, and other gems, and probably whatever new JC tanking trinket is added, which might well add more than the bonus you get from mining overall. I'm just saying it's flawed to say that you can add 1 gem and suddenly the mining bonus is redundant, that is incorrect.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:48 am

Right now I have Enchanting + Juwelcrafting.

Could very well happen that I go to Mining + JC. The Enchanting right now does not look so good. 40 AP on rings IS nice. But that is not THAT hot.

If they bring +8 all stats on rings we are talking.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 am

kurros wrote:And your comparison of JC and mining is flawed. You don't get +35 stamina from using the JC specific gem (actually it is +41 stamina), you get 41 stamina minus whatever you would get from using a regular gem. A "regular" epic stamina gem is +30 stamina, so that is only an 11 point gain. Now the JC gem is prismatic so you might be able to get an extra 6 stats from matching a set bonus or something, but 17 stamina is still a long way off from 35 stamina.

If the change to JC gems being "Unique-Equipped 3" holds, then it can actually be +33 stam from the gems alone, which is comparable to the Mining bonus.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby kurros » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:23 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
kurros wrote:And your comparison of JC and mining is flawed. You don't get +35 stamina from using the JC specific gem (actually it is +41 stamina), you get 41 stamina minus whatever you would get from using a regular gem. A "regular" epic stamina gem is +30 stamina, so that is only an 11 point gain. Now the JC gem is prismatic so you might be able to get an extra 6 stats from matching a set bonus or something, but 17 stamina is still a long way off from 35 stamina.

If the change to JC gems being "Unique-Equipped 3" holds, then it can actually be +33 stam from the gems alone, which is comparable to the Mining bonus.

Yeah I just saw that after my post, that certainly changes things a bit. Assuming the prismatic nature of the gems allows you to pick up some socket bonuses, JC is better than mining for pure stamina.

Still, the mining bonus isn't bad, and it has the advantage of always being there without requiring any extra effort. Sometimes the unique equipped gems end up being a big hassle. You upgrade your socketed boots to boots without sockets and then you have to re-socket some old gear to get your unique gem back, then if you occasionally want to use your old boots again you have to re-socket them also- it can get annoying. The simple passive 35 stamina with no work required doesn't have that problem.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby link » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:27 am

I'm wondering that with Mixology frm alchemy, it should still be better than the passive stamina buff from mining or extra meta from blacksmithing isn't it?
I'm not in beta to test it out but logically i felt that Mixology ought to be a good buff as compared to the other passive buffs from profession.

Like say for this particular boss i may need the extra oomp in dodge or spell dmg. I kinda find that mixology is like a pot whereby i can mix and match accordingly using elixirs.
link

Previous

Return to WotLK