Remove Advertisements

Second Pally Tank Utility Spec???

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Second Pally Tank Utility Spec???

Postby Kup » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 am

Like the subject line says, I often end up being our third tank when needed for trash or some bosses. The others are a Warrior and another Pally. The other Pally outgears me and will end up main tanking over me in all situations. I played around with the 0/40/21 build to focus on raid/group utility and wanted to have you guys tell me if it is a good idea or completely fail. Here it is.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0100000000

I would lose 20% Shield block value, and Ardent Defender would go from 30% damage reduction under 35% health to 12% reduction. I would also lose Blessing of Kings (which almost every Pally has). And I would not have 4% spell damage reduction or Avengers Shield (Which Jeen Highly approves of).

What I would gain is...

Improved Devo Aura (an extra 40% armor bonus)
Improved Seal of the Crusade (3% raid wide crit when Judged)
Improved Blessing of Might (20% increase to Blessing of Might)
Sanctity Aura (10% holy damage increase)
And some things to increase my personal threat as well.

Sorry, I know you all know what the talents do, but I copied it from my guild forums where I asked them the same question.
Kup

Postby Kup » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 am

Our guilds resident retired pally tank kindly pointed out that specializing in two Aura's is bad. I tend to agree. Here it is without Devo.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0100000000

I lose that but pick up precision and 3/3 shield spec. So no more loss of block value.
Kup

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:42 am

I don't recommend speccing towards being the "second pally tank" of a raid. First of all because 2 prot pallies together don't usually interact well, so having both together means either you are out of other tanks or the encounter really screams "tankadin". In both cases you'll want a regular spec.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kup » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:06 pm

The only reason I'm thinking about this is my usual duties when I tank are the oh shit button when the other pally goes down (prevented a wipe in Hyjal last night) or "hey keep as many of the casters faced away from the raid as you can." Only when we're lacking cc for the last one. I know that 2 prot pallies together usually blow but if our bear tank doesn't show (which has been a problem lately) I'm the only other tank we have that's geared to our content level. The reason for the utility is because with the lack of gear in comparison to the other prot pally (like 650 spell damage to 431), 80% of the time I'm single tanking a target or doing nothing. The most I'll actually tank is on Shade of Akama, Hatefuls from Supremus or a third Bloodboil tank. When not needed as a tank for bosses I get back on my main.

The only actual "Tank" Points I lose from the spec is the 18% damage reduction from Ardent Defender. Any damage loss is more than made up for in the ret tree. In this situation is this a valid spec? Plus it allows for the ret pally to get windfury all the time rather than buffing the pally tank on trash then in the melee group for bosses.
Kup

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:01 pm

I guess you can stick to a standard 40/21 then. It's still tanky and a feeble ad is really lackluster.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kup » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:50 pm

So I tried the second one earlier today for bloodboil. Threat between us was through the roof, I'm a bit undergeared (in my mind) and the damage wasn't really much different. Actually the other pally tank and I set up a bubble rotation to drop the debuffs and 2 tanked it. At 40% it was going so smooth with us we told the Warrior tank to swap gear as much as he could and DPS. As for trash, I'm an engineer so I range pulled with Adamantite Grenades and concecrated on top of what I stunned with them, the other tanks picked up what was left. It was actually spread pretty evenly.

If you're ever stuck with 2 pally tanks in one raid I HIGHLY recommend this spec.
Kup

Return to Basic Training & Talents