Remove Advertisements

Still having problems

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Still having problems

Postby HolyGodiva » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:08 am

I tank a majority of Kara by myself. I have a T6 druid that likes to come because he's tired of tanking and enjoys dpsing. He'll bear up and pull while I'm drinking to save time...which is nice. There are two bosses that still to this day give me a difficult time. Maiden and Aran.

Let me qualify this by saying I'm not trying to "tank" aran...but rather, snag control of the elementals. ( I NEED to find a better warlock...or two) when they spawn, I'm generally trying to keep them from eating the healers, but I just can't seem to gain control of them like I'm reading I should...Shield throwing, consecrate...I just can't seem to keep their attention on me. Do others bother? and if so, how do you manage it? Or should I just go with my first idea and find a lock that actually knows how to banish/fear properly. I'd do it, but then we lose a tank...

Maiden..I just had a few bad experiences with her when I first started tanking Kara, and I haven't gotten the courage to get back up on the horse so to speak.

Thanks in advance!!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
~Mark Twain~
Image
HolyGodiva
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Still having problems

Postby bigdunka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 am

HolyGodiva wrote:I tank a majority of Kara by myself. I have a T6 druid that likes to come because he's tired of tanking and enjoys dpsing. He'll bear up and pull while I'm drinking to save time...which is nice. There are two bosses that still to this day give me a difficult time. Maiden and Aran.

Let me qualify this by saying I'm not trying to "tank" aran...but rather, snag control of the elementals. ( I NEED to find a better warlock...or two) when they spawn, I'm generally trying to keep them from eating the healers, but I just can't seem to gain control of them like I'm reading I should...Shield throwing, consecrate...I just can't seem to keep their attention on me. Do others bother? and if so, how do you manage it? Or should I just go with my first idea and find a lock that actually knows how to banish/fear properly. I'd do it, but then we lose a tank...

Maiden..I just had a few bad experiences with her when I first started tanking Kara, and I haven't gotten the courage to get back up on the horse so to speak.

Thanks in advance!!


You'll always have issues with Maiden. Yes, she is tankable as a pally, but such a huge pain because of the silence effects. I always off heal Maiden and have the other tank take her. The few times I tanked Maiden, it was more trouble than it was worth. Unless you are the only tank in your group, that is simply what I would recommend. If you want to do it, just go all out and try to keep hate.

With the elementals however, I'm not certain what your issue may be. I usually snag one when it spawns and a simple judgment is enough to get it aggro'd. From there, just bring it over to where Aran is and drop a consecrate. That should be enough to keep it focused on you until you kill it or whatever you do with it in your group. I would suspect somebody is either DPSing it or getting hit with AOE attacks. Fearing it is still probably the best option if it is available, that way you can focus on Aran.
Image
bigdunka
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Postby Andox » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:36 am

I never had any problems wit hMaiden, just spam your keybinds until your keyboard breaks :lol:
User avatar
Andox
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:54 am

Postby Holywarrior » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:46 am

Trouble with maiden? /cry
Image

Firetree-US
Holywarrior
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:13 am

Postby PsiVen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:46 am

Maiden isn't that bad. Just spam your buttons harder until they land, imagine you're lagging hard. It's really not much of a handicap, people just have to be careful not to start DPS too soon before you manage to get your rotation going.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 am

PsiVen wrote:Maiden isn't that bad. Just spam your buttons harder until they land, imagine you're lagging hard. It's really not much of a handicap, people just have to be careful not to start DPS too soon before you manage to get your rotation going.


This is true. The first time I tanked maiden it was a horrible experience, lol. Just mention to the dps to wait for you to call for dps before starting...

Prep seal of the crusader
cast avenging wrath
cast avenger's shield
run in, casting holy shield and judgement at the same time
position her in the center
spam you buttons until the keyboard falls to peices, lol.

Just remember judgement is off the GCD, so keep spamming it while your other abilities so they can both go off whenever possible.
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Postby solina » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:31 am

I've tanked Maiden successfully, twice. Both times my hand hurt afterwards. I MUCH more enjoy slapping on my healing gear and doing the cleanse / BoSac / heal through repentence thing on this fight. I was one of the guild's best healers before I rolled tank, so I'm still the best cleanser ;-)

Shade.. meh. The elems don't need to be "tanked" so much as controlled. I slap my heal gear on for this fight too. (This week I solo healed the last 15% with half the raid dead lol.) You can send your feral (who should still be in kitty gear), hunter + pet (if the pet survived the first AE), dps war, rogue, enh shammy.. anything melee should be able to pick them up. A single warlock who can banish & fear does make a big difference.
Image
Image
solina
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Postby Hierax » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:24 am

my problem on maiden is on the pull ...she inevitably runs to me as I am (or before) beginning to throw Avenger's shield.

Staying alive isn't the issue - it's the up front threat if AS doesn't hit or I move in towards center so folks don't go crazy.

Is there a definative answer to "can I throw AS safely out of range of her aggro ?' to make sure I get that up front threat ?

I always judge Righteous and Exorcise as well as wings....I just hate having her non- centered and folks not waiting -
Image
Hierax
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 am

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 am

Hierax wrote:my problem on maiden is on the pull ...she inevitably runs to me as I am (or before) beginning to throw Avenger's shield.

Staying alive isn't the issue - it's the up front threat if AS doesn't hit or I move in towards center so folks don't go crazy.

Is there a definative answer to "can I throw AS safely out of range of her aggro ?' to make sure I get that up front threat ?

I always judge Righteous and Exorcise as well as wings....I just hate having her non- centered and folks not waiting -


She aggroes at the same point that you are in range to cast your shield. You just have to be ready to immediately start casting, and it will go off before she reaches you .

Just follow what I described above, and if the dps don't hold off then that's on them. Nothing you can do about that other than yell at them.

And I might as well mention maiden is immune to exorcism, she's not an undead.
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Postby HolyGodiva » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's nice to know that I'm not alone on this. :)

I have a few ideas now, and if anything I'll be pugging a few heroics, in search of a nice lock to replace the current one I have.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
~Mark Twain~
Image
HolyGodiva
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 am

Postby Spectrum » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 am

I remember noticing that the silences seemed timed such that I can perfectly keep HS up. Then I think I get two other gaps in between which go to judgement/seal and consecrate.

My problem has usually been healers not stepping in for the repentance and me forgetting to pull over them.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm
Location: Silvermoon, Alliance

Postby Tiranknight » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 pm

Hierax wrote:my problem on maiden is on the pull ...she inevitably runs to me as I am (or before) beginning to throw Avenger's shield.

Staying alive isn't the issue - it's the up front threat if AS doesn't hit or I move in towards center so folks don't go crazy.

Is there a definative answer to "can I throw AS safely out of range of her aggro ?' to make sure I get that up front threat ?

I always judge Righteous and Exorcise as well as wings....I just hate having her non- centered and folks not waiting -

Tell your DPS to wait until you have a comfortable thread lead... or they're dead...
Tiranknight
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:02 pm


Return to Karazhan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests