Remove Advertisements

A victory for Side tanks

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby ilstefano » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:07 am

My guild is quite close to starting on Muru. I've assumed I would tank sentinels, but after reading this I would like to ask:
Is my gear enough for tanking one side and that we have a lesser geared palatank take the sentinels?
Plix check my sig for my armory.

Thx
Alt:
Image
Main:
Image
User avatar
ilstefano
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:30 am

Postby Stings » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 am

ilstefano wrote:My guild is quite close to starting on Muru. I've assumed I would tank sentinels, but after reading this I would like to ask:
Is my gear enough for tanking one side and that we have a lesser geared palatank take the sentinels?
Plix check my sig for my armory.

Thx

I'd say it's ok. However i suggest you keep ironshield potion up all the time :-)
User avatar
Stings
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:43 am

Postby Morganim » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:23 am

ilstefano wrote:My guild is quite close to starting on Muru. I've assumed I would tank sentinels, but after reading this I would like to ask:
Is my gear enough for tanking one side and that we have a lesser geared palatank take the sentinels?
Plix check my sig for my armory.

Thx


i assume you mean spawns ?
sentinals hit rather hard
Morganim
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Postby Elsie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:03 am

i assume you mean spawns ?
sentinals hit rather hard

Some guilds use 1 paladin to tank spawns and sentinels. It's subject to RNG, but with good healers it has worked.


My guild is quite close to starting on Muru. I've assumed I would tank sentinels, but after reading this I would like to ask:
Is my gear enough for tanking one side and that we have a lesser geared palatank take the sentinels?

Your gear is kinda subpar for side tanking, but you could probably manage. A lot of tanking on a side (or in general) is gear.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby PsiVen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm

DJSticky wrote:I'm starting to think I"m a black sheep and I am either very lucky or my healers are beastly.

We use 1 shammy or druid full time on me, and a shammy healing people in range of door 1. so 1 1/2 healers on me. I always use 0/40/21, about 20k health and ~78% avoidance raid buffed. Pocketwatch + SMI for trinks. I'm not saying I've never been bursted on a door, but me dying to a burst only accounts to about 1 wipe out of 40+ attempts.

Not saying any one is wrong or my way is better, just saying it works for me and my healers have no problems healing me, I also take significantly less damage then any of our other tanks who have done a door.


Well 78% avoidance is extremely high, I'm not surprised that you rarely get bursted. I know our druid has used some crazy 90% avoidance set and still gets gibbed sometimes. Sounds like you might be getting more healing than we do though, strictly one priest or paladin with a shaman bouncing chain heals off the tank. Sometimes if we actually have a resto druid void healing they keep lifebloom on the near door tank as well.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby inthedrops » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:46 pm

PsiVen wrote:
DJSticky wrote:I'm starting to think I"m a black sheep and I am either very lucky or my healers are beastly.

We use 1 shammy or druid full time on me, and a shammy healing people in range of door 1. so 1 1/2 healers on me. I always use 0/40/21, about 20k health and ~78% avoidance raid buffed. Pocketwatch + SMI for trinks. I'm not saying I've never been bursted on a door, but me dying to a burst only accounts to about 1 wipe out of 40+ attempts.

Not saying any one is wrong or my way is better, just saying it works for me and my healers have no problems healing me, I also take significantly less damage then any of our other tanks who have done a door.


Well 78% avoidance is extremely high, I'm not surprised that you rarely get bursted. I know our druid has used some crazy 90% avoidance set and still gets gibbed sometimes. Sounds like you might be getting more healing than we do though, strictly one priest or paladin with a shaman bouncing chain heals off the tank. Sometimes if we actually have a resto druid void healing they keep lifebloom on the near door tank as well.


Some groups are better with the stunning and what not too. It all adds up in the end.

78% avoidance...damn :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:19 am

Postby Joanadark » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:39 am

My guild is gonna use me to tank both Sentinals, and their spawns.

What should I gear like do you think?
Just straight mit for the sentinels, or swap in some SR to help against spawns?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark
 
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Postby Atreidies » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 am

Joanadark wrote:My guild is gonna use me to tank both Sentinals, and their spawns.

What should I gear like do you think?
Just straight mit for the sentinels, or swap in some SR to help against spawns?


SR applies to avoiding Void Blast as well, but your overall survivability would be the main concern since you WILL take them regardless and you need to be able to survive those, not to mention Entropius in p2.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby PsiVen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 am

If you're tanking Sentinels + Voids without a grounding totem you're not likely going to do much more than rapidly acclimate to the taste of floorboards.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Previous

Return to Sunwell Plateau

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?