Remove Advertisements

Post Your Successes!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Igrado » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:46 am

Got into a new guild about a week ago, after 2 weekends unguilded farming for my epic flyer. I was 1 of 2 tanks in Kara, tanking some trash and switching off for Nightbane (? the dragon, 3beam boss). I healed for Prince, what I could (I have 1300 + in prot spec). JoL and loldps then aggroing loose elementals on Shade. Tanked Illhoof and the spawns. had a hard time keeping them on me unfortunately, seed just does to much damage/threat.

Tanked summoner 3 for Mag for the first 3 hours of attempts, but had to log off to sleep (damn RL, i hate working). Apparantly they downed it sometime after that.

Got Helm of the Stalwart Defender and should have 3 SSE's in the mail tonight, will get the Heroic Helm once I can snatch up 9 more badges. (BTW, heroic bot is wicked easy with a guild run. I dont know how geared they were but our guild is just doing Mag now so it cant be that much. the bosses just hit harder is all, strats dont change or anything.) I'm also 5/8 of my Furies cards and have the gold for the rest!

So yeah, theres my accomplishments of the last few weeks and upcoming week too :D I'm excited and looking forward to being handed my own Kara group soon. woot!
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby mirkodeluxe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 am

Finally got my Bracers of the green fortress this weekend after going through Slavepens heroic with the crafter - our guilds maintank warrior who went dps all the way except for on Quagmirran.

Im now 6 badges short of the libram, im at 3% crushable now and the libram will allow me to be a bit more creative with gear.

im 2K rep short of exalted with sha'thar, got the money for the shield, enchants and all. I might even buy the healing mace and get over 1100 healing, since I got lucky with healing drops while repfarming TK.
So, its been a good weekend for me.
mirkodeluxe

Postby Everlight » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Had our first night of real attempts on Prince Malchezaar last night. We got him, third attempt. He didn't manage to crush me at all, which I was damned pleased with. Smacked through Phase 2, without having to use a single healing pot or healthstone, and with only two specced healers (and our Feral Druid co-tank, who was healing).

I got me a Gorehowl (our Fury warrior didn't want it), the Justicar Faceguard (nice for my threat set, again, I was the only one who could use), and I also got a Shermanar Great-Ring (our Druid already had it). Unfortunately, the Great-Ring is being banked until I get Wrynn Dynasty Greaves.

From there, we decided to have a first look at Illhoof. We one-shotted him, the first time we engaged. I was tanking all the Imps with Consecration and RD, while our Druid co-tank held Illhoof, and a DPS warrior nailed Kil'Rek.
Everlight

Postby Luromerre » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:08 pm

Small success, but i've been struggling to break 10k HP unbuffed for a while now. I finally got my Timewardens, socketed it with 3 solid stars and i was still just shy of 10k. I contacted a friend who whiped me up a Cobrahide Leg Kit and that added another +30 stamina and puts me at 10,057. I'm excited. Once i get my tankatronic goggles(waiting on a primal nether -_-), then i'll feel alot more comfortable going into heroics.

Like i said, small...but monumentous for me. I've been struggling to get the gear, but it seems like every piece i replaced had less and less stamina than the previous one, but more desirable stats in other areas.
Luromerre

Big Small-time

Postby Ardaic » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm

So, I've been pushing the limits for a while of what I *should* be able to do. Was told I needed 10k health unbuffed for heroics. First one at 9k...

Anywho, I broke 10k last week (10,017, actually) and then I gained 390 over the weekend - I think, don't quote me on the exact figure though - my defense jumped from 461 to 484 thanks to some Enduring Talasite, Lightwarden's Girdle (Did an aldor and scryer group, which made it cake to down Socrethar) and Cloak of Eternity. Lost a touch of block without ol' Ironscale, but it was great. All of that was in preparation for what I thought to be failure: Heroic Shadowlab. Didn't think I was ready for the *big* heroics yet, but turns out I was wrong...

Downed the first three bosses like nothing (picking up some arcane resist pants along the way) and unfortunately couldn't drop Murmur as he kept killing the dps and healer. Would've been nice to finish the job, but overall I turned some heads and took a lot of hits - precisely what I try to do in instances.

Last part of my little joy-rant: the cockles of my heart warm every time I've an epic-geared hunter in my group who's trying to pull off of me for a trap, and even with Might, Wisdom or Kings, they can't peel if my shield touched it. Considering I'm all in blues, I'd say that's pretty affirming to the power my paladin can pack.
Ardaic

Re: Big Small-time

Postby guillex » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Ardaic wrote:Last part of my little joy-rant: the cockles of my heart warm every time I've an epic-geared hunter in my group who's trying to pull off of me for a trap, and even with Might, Wisdom or Kings, they can't peel if my shield touched it. Considering I'm all in blues, I'd say that's pretty affirming to the power my paladin can pack.

I agree with you on this one ... I have a pug hunter who tags along with me on a semi-frequent basis, and still hates the fact that he can't pull off me to CC.

"Dude, lemme friggin' trap!"
Me: Meh, guess it's no CC for this pull! :evil:
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Re: Big Small-time

Postby Hollyhell » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 pm

Guillex wrote:
Ardaic wrote:Last part of my little joy-rant: the cockles of my heart warm every time I've an epic-geared hunter in my group who's trying to pull off of me for a trap, and even with Might, Wisdom or Kings, they can't peel if my shield touched it. Considering I'm all in blues, I'd say that's pretty affirming to the power my paladin can pack.

I agree with you on this one ... I have a pug hunter who tags along with me on a semi-frequent basis, and still hates the fact that he can't pull off me to CC.

"Dude, lemme friggin' trap!"
Me: Meh, guess it's no CC for this pull! :evil:

For non-heroic instances, my general statement is "I don't believe in CC"
Hollyhell

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:47 pm

My good friend from brazil has been playing on Joanadark, my warrior, and was telling me the other day about how he keeps getting all these tells every single day from random level 1s.

In his words:

"Yeah...they either say 'Oh yes thank you so much, you say such great things for me' and I tell them 'Thanks! I really appriciate it!", or they say to me 'You are so bad and talk all this bull shit' and I tell them 'Sorry this is the character of my friend.'"

It made me laugh my head off for like an hour.

I need to post on my paladin more.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:58 am

Tanked Gruul on our first kill. Well I say tanked, I died at about 25% and the Druid solo tanked him the rest of the way. :D

No sheild love though. I am doomed to subsist on the fugly Arena shield.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Magnusharkov » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:00 am

I've just hit 12.7k HP unbuffed pre kara. Can go up to 12.8 if I switch some rings around and assume I'm getting MoTW. Go me :p
Magnusharkov

Postby Kitsuna » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:39 am

Finished my furies deck and got my t4 helm. Rawr!
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Sero » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:20 am

Panza'thar Breastplate ftw :)

Had Maiden, Nightbane and Netherspite left last night.

Neck + gloves from Maiden, shield + chest from Nightbane and shoulders + spell dmg OH from Spite.

Happy tanks! :D
<Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU
Sero

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 am

Didn't believe Nightbane was so easy without fear ward... well, killed him to my own astonishment on the 2nd try. Thanks tho whoever has written something about blessing of Protection working against fear too :)
Sabre

Postby Raice » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:00 am

First of all:

Hey there, the name's Raice. I've been prot spec since level 10, duo-ing with my mage girlfriend. I find prot to be one of the most misunderstood and most underestimated specs in the game. My paladin hit 70 on 8/18/07, and I've been using this board as a guide to gear up.

Last night, I was given my first opportunity to tank in Karazhan. We started at the trash after Curator. Our MT (warrior) had to AFK for a few minutes so they said I should try tanking one of those Protector mobs.

Seal of Righteousness, Avenger's Shield, Holy Shield, Consecrate, Judgment of Righteousness, Seal of Righteousness, dead.

... what?

Turns out my healers didn't throw a single heal on me through the first four hits. This was the most disheartening raid moment I've ever experienced, as it was my big tanking debut.

However... shortly thereafter, we rezzed. I told the healers on vent, "I will be frontloading a ton of agro, it will be literally impossible to pull agro from healing, so don't be afraid to toss a few early on."

Avenging Wrath + the spell combo above (minus death) put some big yellow numbers up, I got plenty of heals, and I hear a few people on vent saying, "Holy hell, that's a lot of threat O.o"
These guys were shocked at the threat I was frontloading, even though I only had about 235 spell damage on at the time. It was perhaps the most ego-boosting raid moment I've ever experienced, even moreso than my old 60 lock being known as the punisher for its untouchable DPS

So all in all, the problem was that nobody in my raid had a damn clue about paladin abilities. In fact, some of them don't even know what the blessings do. Good ol' horde raiders. But now, they've seen the light, if you will. So that's my paladin tanking debut story. More to come after Kara next week.

Oh, and I threw on a full healing set and healed through Aran, it's so much less exciting >.>

BTW, much love to the tankadin community. You guys rock hard.

-- Raice
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Raice
Raice

Postby Swagger » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:09 am

Nothing spectacular, but I hit 70 a couple of days ago and tanked SL and SV. Minor stumbling blocks (Blackheart the Inciter can rot in hell), but good runs aside from that. Tanking gear refuses to drop though :(
Swagger

PreviousNext

Return to General