Remove Advertisements

Heroic Shadow Labs difficulties

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Shadow Labs difficulties

Postby esthera » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:04 am

First, my armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Esthera

I'm hoping to get some advice regarding some problems I had in heroic shadow labs last night. Mostly because we had a few wipes, but also because in general I could use some tips on handling pulls with caster mobs.

The main problems occurred in the room with the 2nd boss. The group makeup was pally tank, resto druid, mage, lock, & hunter (well, tbh we 4 manned the first two groups while waiting for the hunter to get online).

Groups with 2 shadow priests and a healer were the most difficult. First attempt: I marked the healer for sheeping, shadow priest for first kill and shadow priest for second kill. Threw shield and ran back to try pull them into the hallway. There wasn't much to use for LoS obstruction, so this had limited success and had to run up to them and fight right at the entrance to the hall. The two shadow priests pretty much killed me before I knew it.

Second attempt: Marked healer for first kill, shadow priest for sheep, shadow priest for second kill. This went similar to the first, although better due to less damage. On subsequent groups, I would pull & run back and the mage would sheep after the shield hit. Sometimes the mage ended up pulling aggro from a mob or two while doing that. I don't know how that happened. Come to think of it, similar things would happen on the first two pulls in the room with the first boss.

Murmur's room: Not quite sure what to do with the spellbinder and the summoner if there wasn't a mage present. The mage made it possible to counterspell the summoner and pull it back before sheeping, but what would you do without one? There isn't much to use for LoS, and in that room you really can't run up to get the mob. If I run way back, I'm afraid that I'll lose aggro during that time. So in general, how do you handle pulls with caster mobs when there isn't a good place to use line of sight to your advantage?

Lastly, one specific question. In the room prior to the warlock boss (the room with 2 mounds of skeletons), near the door there is a group of 3 mobs right next to a group of 2 mobs. How do you grab the 3 without pulling the 2? None of the mobs pose a real threat, so tanking 5 is fine, but I just hate pulling more than I intended.
esthera

Postby Voxe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 am

on the shadowpriest use your cleanse to remove the SW: Pain on you, that takes care of a lot of dmg.

When you are tanking the first, stun the second, this will lower the dmg you take by a lot.

In murmur's room there are mobs that occasionally pop up between groups, murmur will kill these with his sonic thingy, pull the group with your frizbee and retreat, tell your DPS'ers to hold untill first (or second) consecrate. the mage should not sheep untill the caster was forced to move to get close to you.
You should do fine.
Voxe

Re: Heroic Shadow Labs difficulties

Postby Katerina » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:37 am

H. Slabs.... four badges, but sooooo much trash.

esthera wrote:First, my armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Esthera

I'm hoping to get some advice regarding some problems I had in heroic shadow labs last night. Mostly because we had a few wipes, but also because in general I could use some tips on handling pulls with caster mobs.

The main problems occurred in the room with the 2nd boss. The group makeup was pally tank, resto druid, mage, lock, & hunter (well, tbh we 4 manned the first two groups while waiting for the hunter to get online).

Groups with 2 shadow priests and a healer were the most difficult. First attempt: I marked the healer for sheeping, shadow priest for first kill and shadow priest for second kill. Threw shield and ran back to try pull them into the hallway. There wasn't much to use for LoS obstruction, so this had limited success and had to run up to them and fight right at the entrance to the hall. The two shadow priests pretty much killed me before I knew it.

Second attempt: Marked healer for first kill, shadow priest for sheep, shadow priest for second kill. This went similar to the first, although better due to less damage. On subsequent groups, I would pull & run back and the mage would sheep after the shield hit. Sometimes the mage ended up pulling aggro from a mob or two while doing that. I don't know how that happened. Come to think of it, similar things would happen on the first two pulls in the room with the first boss.

Two spriests are hard - they do an insane amount of damage. Though you can cleanse the dots off of yourself (or a priest/pally healer can). CC one of them if you are going to cc anything, kill the healer second (HoJ the healer if necessary). Or you could have the hunter trap/kite the healer into the room behind you. The healer is the safest mob for the hunter to play with, as he doesn't hit hard. (depending on hunter skill, this is an issue)

There is an outcropping in the hallway that is LOS to those mobs, but after the first few pulls I ususally run into them. (having cleared the instructors.) The big pillars at the front are also LOS to the pulls on the sides.

I will RD a cc'd mob before I break cc, as it forces it's attention to me for a few seconds if I'm having difficulty with it going after the ccer. This is generally less necessary with mages than with hunter traps though - unless the mage counterspelled the mob before sheeping it.

Murmur's room: Not quite sure what to do with the spellbinder and the summoner if there wasn't a mage present. The mage made it possible to counterspell the summoner and pull it back before sheeping, but what would you do without one? There isn't much to use for LoS, and in that room you really can't run up to get the mob. If I run way back, I'm afraid that I'll lose aggro during that time. So in general, how do you handle pulls with caster mobs when there isn't a good place to use line of sight to your advantage?

Bleh, that room sucks. Misdirection to you while you stand out of range of the mob will do, then you can AS and run in on them. You can also have someone pull from max range and you stand near where you want to tank them, put down consecrate so that they will have to run through it, have the ranged pull with a low dps spell (rank one spell, a rogue can toss a knife, priest/mage/lock can wand, whatever) and then you AS as they run after him. The puller runs backwards to make sure the mobs come toward you (chasing the puller, and no one else does ANYTHING until you have the mobs). AS so that it hits as they reach your consecrate, JoR on the pulled mob, then RD (if AS/JoR did not do the trick), and HoJ one of the casters to shut them down for a few seconds while your brave puller gets back in range. It makes for a hairier pull than you just ASing and LOSing them, but LOSing them all the way back around that corner is a lot of time for them to cast on you/MC/all that crap.

On my priest, I have wand pulled, kited them back, and faded once they hit consecrate. I've had a misdirect both times I've done it on my tankadin.

Lastly, one specific question. In the room prior to the warlock boss (the room with 2 mounds of skeletons), near the door there is a group of 3 mobs right next to a group of 2 mobs. How do you grab the 3 without pulling the 2? None of the mobs pose a real threat, so tanking 5 is fine, but I just hate pulling more than I intended.

I think this is an AS issue (I've had it too). I managed to pull the three pack once by pulling from beside them instead of in front, so basically standing in the center of the room instead of on the mound near the door. But like you said, tanking all five isn't hard since three of them are melee and hit like girls. If you want to be sure and having a hunter, get an MD on the far right one (as you stand on the mound by the door).

Hope that helps :)
Katerina

Postby ldeboer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 pm

The shadow priests are the killer and its not the SWP thats the problem its the mind flay. It does massive damage but also drops all your avoidance to zero and the rest of them beat the tripe out of you.

CC them or kill them first. If you have two I would cc one or even if you have to LOS them back to the room with the 1st boss so one can be feared while you kill the other.

I run it without CC at my level but when I get two I improvise a way to not have both mind flaying me one after another thats a good way to die fast.

Murmur room:

Mark the spellbinder as first to die mark the summoner (the real threat as 2nd to die) the 2 melee whatever. Wait for the add between the packs to die and cast AS on them. Move in drop consecrate judge the spellbinder and then ignore it turn to the summoner and start moving back slowly the old tank shuffle. If the summoner even begins to cast portal use HOJ on it.
Worst case the spell binder will get agro to one of the DPS and MC them but it really doesnt matter because the other dps will be able to kill it fast.
Kill summoner and then the 2 melee.
ldeboer

Postby Marker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 pm

I normallly LoS to the right or left siden, behind the pillars connected to the wall. It's a fair distance, but well doable. Only downside is that if you haven't got any type of CC or spell-interrupt the summoner will only stand where he is, summoning in his friends from the other side of the void. But then again, there's not many group setups without a single CC/interrupt. This is one of the few places I still CC in HCs.
Marker

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics