Ilidian or flames?

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Ilidian or flames?

Postby Vasilissa » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:04 am

We are to have our first night at Illidan today. All of our tanks have fire resist set. I have also good enough gear to MT him. My question is - shall I tank flames or ask an officer to allow me tanking Illidan himself? My main concern is that besides 2nd phase I feel pretty useless (we have retri pala to keep up judgements). Any suggestions here?
User avatar
Vasilissa
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:24 am

Re: Ilidian or flames?

Postby Tieran » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 am

Vasilissa wrote:We are to have our first night at Illidan today. All of our tanks have fire resist set. I have also good enough gear to MT him. My question is - shall I tank flames or ask an officer to allow me tanking Illidan himself? My main concern is that besides 2nd phase I feel pretty useless (we have retri pala to keep up judgements). Any suggestions here?


From all I have read there seems to be no real advantage to you tanking him, and in the mean time he is gonna be hitting you a fair bit harder than a warrior. 6% mitigation vs 10% mit.

And yes he is a demon - and a dual wielder.. but I don't think threat is such an issue here :)

We were also getting our first attempts in yesterday :) Ill race ya for a kill! :D
Tieran
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am

Postby Vasilissa » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:16 am

My pov is the disadvantage of me vs warrior as (maybe Im wrong) besides 2nd phase I feel like my utility is being close to zero. Warrior can at least do some dmg.
User avatar
Vasilissa
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:24 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:14 am

Illidan: Mitigation difference is nil, or slightly advantaged for paladins
Threat is good, and we have better pickups, so you can ditch all but your weapon/tier and still have enough spell damage for the fight

Flames: Warriors win for flames. They generate more threat in FR gear than we do, and here the 4% to 5% difference counts a lot. Someone can keep the aura up for them, preferably a holy pally but you can do it for one of the warriors too.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15540
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:33 am

Honestly, put the most awake tanks (and with better PC) on the flames.

If your warriors have a decent PC and are skilled, they'd work better than you on flames.



As personal opinion, flames are funnier, but that doesn't count.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13439
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby Tieran » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Illidan: Mitigation difference is nil, or slightly advantaged for paladins
Threat is good, and we have better pickups, so you can ditch all but your weapon/tier and still have enough spell damage for the fight

Flames: Warriors win for flames. They generate more threat in FR gear than we do, and here the 4% to 5% difference counts a lot. Someone can keep the aura up for them, preferably a holy pally but you can do it for one of the warriors too.


This isn't a thread for this - but this goes against basically EVERYTHING I have read... :S

Paladins + ferals being best for flames due to more threat, warriors at illidan due to the +4% making a real difference when he enrages. If the tank has his head switched on sheer is never an issue.

I will ofc re-read this.

Oh and P2 down >half the attempts tonight - hope to see a kill next reset or tops the one after if sign up's / holidays don't go pew pew to the raid.
Tieran
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am

Postby Tyaera » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Paladins have a slight to nil mitigation advantage due to the 4% difference being nullified by being able to keep up Holy Shield the whole time. Even a paladin with 300 block value only, 300 damage is more than 4% of a typical attack from him.

Warriors have to save Shield Block for Shear or risk being open to one when all of Shield Block's charges are gone.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Image
User avatar
Tyaera
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: sneaking through minefields

Postby Seloei » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 am

Paladins take less damage on illidan are harder to shear, due to holy shield having so many charges. Warriors have to time SB to not get sheared. Also his a demon so pickups are even more easier, not to mention the extra threat.
Then again the flames are also demons.

All in all, the 2 best "moving/skilled" tanks should be on the flames and the third one, (who hopefully isn't stupid) on illidan. Druid's however can't tank illidan.
Image
Seloei
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 am
Location: Estonia

Postby Tyaera » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:48 am

I'm sure they could, given enough overgearing.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Image
User avatar
Tyaera
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: sneaking through minefields

Postby Djoraan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:54 am

Seloei wrote:Paladins take less damage on illidan are harder to shear, due to holy shield having so many charges. Warriors have to time SB to not get sheared. Also his a demon so pickups are even more easier, not to mention the extra threat.
Then again the flames are also demons.

All in all, the 2 best "moving/skilled" tanks should be on the flames and the third one, (who hopefully isn't stupid) on illidan. Druid's however can't tank illidan.


Palas take less damage ? I don't think so, especially not in Phase5, but that shouldn't hold us back tanking him.

The threat is great, our dd'ler say they can start earlier and harder with me tanking him.

some hints for tanking Illidan are:

- u must become shear immune (it's not the same as crush immune!). BV gets you fastest to it but avoidance gear is much more preferable in this fight otherwise u will stress your healers.

- wear moroes' pocket watch for enrage, i can use it for both enrages before he gets down, this helps alot and IF u get hit by shear (shouldn't happen, but maybe it will :roll:) hit the watch + nightmareseed... and prey :o

- if u get parasites, wait for mages and after frostnova move out asap ! because the parasites can remove your shieldcharges and thats like standing naked in front of Illidan because shear cannot miss :!: here also the watch is very useful.

i would say that in this fight "Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch" > "Shadowmoon Insignia"

it's more fun to tank him that's for sure, but u can tank the flames too (change camera max distance if not already done to have a better view on where the eye-beam is) and x-heal a littlebit with heal weapon,shield,libram in the other phases.

Just try it, if you have major difficulties tanking him then tank the Flames instead and try him later with better gear.
Image
User avatar
Djoraan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:41 am

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:51 am

Djoraan wrote:- if u get parasites, wait for mages and after frostnova move out asap ! because the parasites can remove your shieldcharges and thats like standing naked in front of Illidan because shear cannot miss :!: here also the watch is very useful.

mmm no, the reason for which you move away from parasites is that if they hit you, you got double parasite debuff on you, = 4 more unwanted parasites
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13439
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:05 am

think of it like this

You Can

A. Tank the boss and get a sense of pride and power and go afk Phase 2
B. You tank the hardest part of the fight and can afk for the rest of the fight
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm


Return to Black Temple

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests