Remove Advertisements

3 Timers non-standard way

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

3 Timers non-standard way

Postby Flex » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 pm

After just really starting ZA last month and now downing ZJ 3 times and having our first 1 night clear I'm curious if what we've been doing trying for three chests is possible.

We have been going Bear>Eagle>Lynx and the last two weeks the 3rd prisoner died while fighting Lynx.

Is getting the third timer this way doable or should we suck it up and learn it the right way?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Re: 3 Timers non-standard way

Postby Antagonist » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:54 pm

Flex wrote:After just really starting ZA last month and now downing ZJ 3 times and having our first 1 night clear I'm curious if what we've been doing trying for three chests is possible.

We have been going Bear>Eagle>Lynx and the last two weeks the 3rd prisoner died while fighting Lynx.

Is getting the third timer this way doable or should we suck it up and learn it the right way?

Getting 3 chests that way is doable... maybe even easier than the 'standard' route, but getting 4 will be impossible.
Antagonist

Postby Canuun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm

Flex wrote:After just really starting ZA last month and now downing ZJ 3 times and having our first 1 night clear I'm curious if what we've been doing trying for three chests is possible.

Once you can one shot all the bosses, dragonhawk trash is undoubtedly the hardest part of a timed run. A few spawned guards make timers a lot harder to reach. For this reason, Bear-Eagle-Lynx makes a lot of sense. However, if you're going to be working towards 4 chests, you have to get used to it at some point, and taking a few resets more to get consistent 3 chests may be better in the long run for morale then giving up a third chest after getting it a few times because you have to learn a new route.

TLDR: Definitely doable, but you'll have to learn dragonhawk trash on a timer sooner or later.
Canuun

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 am

Antagonist wrote:Getting 3 chests that way is doable... maybe even easier than the 'standard' route, but getting 4 will be impossible.

I realized after I posted that I only posted to get confirmation on my "do it the 'right' way" feelings.

The run this week we "one shot" the Dragonhawk trash and took out Dragonhawk less then 30 seconds into the soft enrage.

Week before however we had a bunch of deaths and missed scouts which compared to the clean run through two weeks ago was a step back.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Antagonist » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:17 am

Flex wrote:
Antagonist wrote:Getting 3 chests that way is doable... maybe even easier than the 'standard' route, but getting 4 will be impossible.

I realized after I posted that I only posted to get confirmation on my "do it the 'right' way" feelings.

The run this week we "one shot" the Dragonhawk trash and took out Dragonhawk less then 30 seconds into the soft enrage.

Week before however we had a bunch of deaths and missed scouts which compared to the clean run through two weeks ago was a step back.

Step 1 is being able to do all of these things 1 time.

Step 2 is being able to do all of these things Every Time.

Welcome to working on step 2.

P.S. Step 3 is sitting on bears in Ironforge and pissing off people that don't have them.
Antagonist

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:56 am

Antagonist wrote:Step 1 is being able to do all of these things 1 time.

Step 2 is being able to do all of these things Every Time.

Welcome to working on step 2.

We've had two Beaglynx runs where the prisoner died while engaging the boss. Each time one or more of our better DPSers was not in the raid.

For being a bunch of scrubs who wiped on Aran for over a month we took out Hexlord on our 5th pull and ZJ on our second.

P.S. Step 3 is sitting on bears in Ironforge and pissing off people that don't have them.

Bears are too common for me, I prefer my White Hawkstrider.
Flex

Postby Flex » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:57 pm

we went the traidtional route and have gotten 3 chests two goes in a row.
Flex

Postby ulushnar » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm

We get three chests by going Eagle- Bear - Lynx all the time, since we suck at getting the Dragonhawk down first time.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Holyfuri » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:48 am

Just a couple pointers on Dragonhawk trash.

Communication is THE KEY to that clear. Give everyone assist to mark pats, and constantly remind everyone to stay in a tight group.

Have a hunter constantly keep an eye on his tracker, and remind him to check it every minute or so. Annoying, but unless you completely trust the hunter do it.

Do a countdown for every scout, preferrably from the person doing the initial root/cc.

Take the route to the left, with the humanoids. Avoid the aoe dragonhawk path. The aoe path is easier for a pally tank, but it takes longer still.

As soon as a pat is seen and marked, position everyone, keep tanking any mobs you are on, and countdown to nuke the scout.

If the dragonhawk aoe pat that heads up the steps is there just kill it. It's too risky to wait on him to pass away.

Open up the very last pull with a mind control if possible. This will allow the raid to come up to the steps heading up to dragonhawk himself, safely away from the pats and scouts and start killing the mobs there.

Just keep working on it, and put yourself on a timer even if the game timer isn't up. Just keep trying to improve your best time.
Holyfuri

Postby ShaiHulud » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 am

Flex wrote:
Bears are too common for me, I prefer my White Hawkstrider.

I agree. I don't have a bear on my spriest yet but it seems like everyone and their mother has a bear mount these days. I prefer my battle chicken on my Priest :P
^The new WoTLK Main
^Old TBC main
ShaiHulud

Postby Cearn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 am

Holyfuri wrote:Have a hunter constantly keep an eye on his tracker, and remind him to check it every minute or so. Annoying, but unless you completely trust the hunter do it.

You can use Druids as well (in kitty form). I realized this when I read your post and tried to remember the last time we had a hunter in ZA.

Holyfuri wrote:Just keep working on it, and put yourself on a timer even if the game timer isn't up. Just keep trying to improve your best time.

Best Advice. Even if you lose 2nd or even 1st timed due to an unlucky DC or similar situations. The whole run is about everyone knowing when to do what and not having to think about it much. It's learning a 45 minute encounter.
Cearn

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:13 am

Three successful goes in a row at getting three chests. We've gotten Dragonhawk trash down, but we're not quite at the point where I feel comfortable swapping a healer for DPS.
Flex

Postby Amarant_Pally » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:49 am

Flex,

My team 3-heals ZA (despite my various suggestions that we don't need to). We've gotten 3/5 4-chest runs (2 nights were my fault /cry). We do usually have 3-4 Shaman though, so bosses go BOOM!

Set-up is:

Prot-Pala (me)
Prot-Warr
CoH-Priest
Resto-Sham
Resto-Druid (although last night we ran w/ a Holy-Pala, and ended up beating our best time by 4-min...GG extra Pally blessing?)
Elemental-Sham x2
Rogue
2 Mages
Amarant_Pally

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 pm

No shaman in this group and a high dependence on mana using DPS.

Last night as amusing. 3 of our DPS died on Eagle to a bad storm. Took nearly 8 minutes to kill him so I thought two timers. Ending up blowing up Bear and had a few odd pulls in the gauntlet and still managed to snag it.

Did find out that Dragonhawk will teleport someone from across the zone during Fire Bombs. Mage died and was running back when we pulled.
Flex

Postby PsiVen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Just make sure that you have a reliable, repeatable strategy and everyone sticks to it. There's not much you can do about a bad D/C, but if people die on Eagle or Dragonhawk trash it's 100% preventable.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Next

Return to Zul'aman