How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Base » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Tephlon wrote:I don't think this was posted, but what kind of BV would you need? both of your sets have at least 700, would anything below that work also?

Probably. It's said somewhere that below 650 will be difficult, and having lower block value AND a few % away from uncrushability will be much worse. I haven't done this in a while (having already looted my binding), but it'd probably be possible. The gear is there, and outside of 25 mans, so it should be available if it doesn't work out.

I did it comfortably with 642 the other week - especially once the enrage drops off then I was fine with just using SoW and FotC whenever it was off CD.
Base

Postby Achtung » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 pm

How hard was it to get the Elementium? Did you just spam trade and manage to pick some up off a pre-BC hoarder?
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Achtung wrote:How hard was it to get the Elementium? Did you just spam trade and manage to pick some up off a pre-BC hoarder?

Personally, I had my own... way of getting it. However, yes, buying it from an older guild or player works (its only uses are for TF and for the Scepter for the bug mount). Otherwise, you'll have to farm BWL. You can five man Razorgore relatively easily as a Prot Paladin, and clearing him will give you access to six technicians. With an 8% drop rate, you'll get one ore each 12.5 kills, so it'll take ~125 technicians to get your ore. There are many more technicians after Vael, but that will require a 10-15 man raid.

Your best bet is to find out which guilds have been around for a while and contact their GMs. Some offers I got were 2kg-5kg, but they may come down if you give it some time, as there's little demand for the ore (but then again, nobody farms BWL anymore...).

Good luck!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Achtung » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks, I'm still working on my gear set at the moment, but I fear the biggest obstacle won't be solo'ing Garr, but farming Geddon and getting the elementium.

Oh wells, never said it was going to be a walk in the park...
Achtung

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Achtung wrote:Thanks, I'm still working on my gear set at the moment, but I fear the biggest obstacle won't be solo'ing Garr, but farming Geddon and getting the elementium.

Oh wells, never said it was going to be a walk in the park...

Your biggest obstacle will likely be farming Geddon. Elementium ore is rare, but even on a backwater server I was able to find two guilds with some spare in their bank. You can start looking around, but I wouldn't drop the gold on it until you have the bindings, unless you just have the gold lying around.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Janduin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:22 am

Or...you get 10 geared people or more less-geared people and run BWL a few times. It's not hard @ 70, and ML all the elementium to yourself.

Geddon is the hard part, people-wise. No binding yet for me, either Garr or Geddon. Grrr.

And damn I need a new sig picture.
Janduin

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:08 am

Just be sure you understand the mechanics of Vael before attempting.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Achtung » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:46 am

Well, I finally go around to getting my gear in order and gave this a shot.

Went relatively smoothly, with just a couple of deaths. First I accidentally aggroed the very first Firelord that I came across (the one just below the ledge you jump down to past the two Molten Giants). I came back and solo'd the Lava Surger without any dramas, popped an invis pot and got to the safe spot. So far so good, until I got extremely unlucky and the two patrolling core hounds synced up and there was no safe place to stand! Terrible! Came back again, timed the sync and ran past the two hounds in front of Garr and made it cleanly to the kill spot. Then it was a simple matter of making the pull and going AFK for 3 hours, hahaha.

No bindings this time, but now I know how to do it, I'll be back for sure!

Awesome video too Modus, sets everything out perfectly.
Achtung

Postby Necrolite » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:16 pm

Just did my first sucessful Garr kill :)

had approx. 104% avoidance but only 480BV. that said, all i had to do was judge Garr with Seal of Light, and i'd be set. Figurine of the colossus healed me a fair amount as did Seal of Light, and for mana problems i just drunk Super Rejuvination Potions. All in all, the low BV was no problem at all with Garr only hitting me for 200 dmg at the most.

Most of the time i just watched a movie, and made food at one point. For me the Firesworns were the biggest pain, but only due to the explosions. resisted all but 1 of those.

Loots:
Cenarion Helm
Circlet of Prophecy
Deep Earth Spaulders
Pattern: Core marksmans Rifle
Misc. core and essence

Necrolite

Postby Inia » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:21 pm

Did my first solo over the weekend with 733 BV, most of the time he would hit me for 1-60 when i didn't fully block it. I could also switch out shields to become 1% crushable and he hit me so rarely that light would heal me to full before another hit occured. Pulled the elemental add on the pull, didn't want to wait for invis cooldown. Following vid/guide it worked like a charm. Had to burn the elemental first and took just over 2 hours (full prot) going to try the ret spec for the next attempt. Just wanted to say great job on the guide.

Loots:
Pally Helm (woot)
Mage Helm
Brutality Blade
Pattern for warlock soul pouch (wts 5kg :P)
misc other items
Inia

Postby Maelstrom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 am

Currently solo'ing Garr, I'm more amazed that my uncrushable set is working than anything, woo :)
Maelstrom

Postby Zeedevil » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 pm

very cool, almost as good as a lock soloing hydross. = ) At least on this you can just /afk for 3 hours instead of having to keep stacking dots for 3-4 hours = p
Zeedevil

Postby Maat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 am

Tried out Garr on the 3.0 PTR server. (the new Anticipation is really annoying)

Needless to say, it was retarded. In the gear I use in live, I have about 850BV... on the PTR I have 1039. Which is obviously overkill, he rarely hits for over 700, so I swapped my auto-blocker out for a Seaspray Albatross, and it was not necessary at all.

Basically all I had to do was keep up Seal of Corruption for dps (Righteousness is pretty weaksauce on PTR), judge Wisdom as often as possible, jam HotR every cooldown, keep up Blessing of Sanctuary, occasionaly Seal Wisdom, and I had 0 mana problems with excellent damage. Coupled with instant cast Hammer of Wrath proccing at 35%... well, 45 minute kill as 0/51/10 basic levelling prot, down from 1:30hr in my anti-Garr ret spec.

No worries, Garr's still soloable as of the PTR.
Maat

Postby Robbo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for this guide!

He's at 24% right now...1h30min and counting.

:D
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:43 am

I took a "screen" of the totally safe spot where to wait.

The camera is vertical. Basically get to the highest part of the wall where you can climb, then put camera vertical and walk left until you are there.

ImageImage

theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats