Illidan tanking 102 and change VS 108 and change

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Illidan tanking 102 and change VS 108 and change

Postby glavstone » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:54 pm

ok, so my friend read somewhere that SHEAR cannot miss, therefore your 102 and change number jumps 5% to 108 and change.

can anyone verify or discount this?
glavstone

Postby Joanadark » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 pm

thats....always been the case.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby guillex » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Black Temple forum.

First post that's stickied in here...

How to avoid Shear: The mechanic of Shear is fairly simple, if the attack is parryed, dodged or blocked, the debuff will not be applied. The skill itself cannot miss, and you cannot outrange it. It is possible to Intervene it but that's not really realistic, and anyway you don't want to rely on a Warrior, do you?
In order for us to not get hit by Shear, we will have to rely on Holy Shield, but in a particular way. You will need 101.8% block+parry+dodge in order be immune to Shear.

Read, please. Please please please. There's an entire guide!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Guillex wrote:Read, please. Please please please. There's an entire guide!

What.
He.
Said.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Maihes » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:30 pm

In other words... if your uncrushable without badge libram and don't use it in regular kit, PUT IT ON! FIXT
Maihes

Postby Tyaera » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 pm

i thought it was more than that, since Shear cannot miss, you don't get the 5% base miss, nor the 5.6% miss from defense, so thats 10.6% avoidance total gone?
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Seloei » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:40 pm

yes, since shear can't miss you need to make up for atleast 10.6% avoidance with the other 3 stats. Also this has been asked and covered multiple times and even is in the "only" sticky in this forum which has the same title even.
Seloei

Postby Lother » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:45 am

Tyaera wrote:i thought it was more than that, since Shear cannot miss, you don't get the 5% base miss, nor the 5.6% miss from defense, so thats 10.6% avoidance total gone?

Yup, and ever more is gone if you have over 490 Def.

I basically put on Libram of Repentance(don't need it anymore otherwise)
and equip a figurine of the colossus(LOL) and I'm shear immune. Works fine. Man that trinket from H Shatt Halls comes in handy every once and a while
Lother

Postby glavstone » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:34 pm

misinformation, let's get a straight answer...

Look, i realize that if you are even considered to tank illidan you are more than likely far above 110 avoidance with holy shield up, BUT, i seem to be getting 2 different answers to my question. ~102 or ~110???

from what i know about tanking i am going to go with the 110, SO, that means the sticky is wrong?
glavstone

Postby Pizbit » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:47 am

glavstone wrote:misinformation, let's get a straight answer...

Look, i realize that if you are even considered to tank illidan you are more than likely far above 110 avoidance with holy shield up, BUT, i seem to be getting 2 different answers to my question. ~102 or ~110???

from what i know about tanking i am going to go with the 110, SO, that means the sticky is wrong?

3rd post, READ THE STICKIE.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Magnusharkov » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:30 am

Read the sticky carefully ;)

"How to avoid Shear: The mechanic of Shear is fairly simple, if the attack is parryed, dodged or blocked, the debuff will not be applied. The skill itself cannot miss, and you cannot outrange it. It is possible to Intervene it but that's not really realistic, and anyway you don't want to rely on a Warrior, do you?
In order for us to not get hit by Shear, we will have to rely on Holy Shield, but in a particular way. You will need 101.8% block+parry+dodge in order be immune to Shear. There's a very useful macro to check if you are immune to it,
Code:
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 101.8 combined avoidance for Shear. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance(),1,0.5,0)

pop Holy Shield, press the macro, and check if you are fine or not. Adjust your gear, and don't forget about that nice Libram of Repentance you left in bank long time ago, that's 5.33% free block."
Magnusharkov

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:47 am

Every time glavstone doesn't read the sticky, gods kill a dozen kittens
and make a warrior tank over a paladin
then they pick a pineapple and stick on wherever is most umcomfortable for said ditched paladin.

Please, think of the paladins...and kittens.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Black Temple