Question about WotLK tanking...

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Question about WotLK tanking...

Postby kingharbromm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:02 am

Hey Everyone,

I heard a nasty rumor here:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/general- ... allys.html

Seems the poster Worldie feels the easy days of paladin PuGing are over once WotLK hits. Why?

Thanks,

Panzor the Invincible
kingharbromm

Postby Andox » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:05 am

I can´t access the link, but I guess it´s because the increased cost of Conse, we can´t nolonger just faceroll on Consecration. We also get two new active abilities that we have to use for a fast and easy run ;) But I don´t think it will be that hard.
Andox

Postby Amarant_Pally » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:33 am

I think, more or less, it's because 10-mans will be "easier," having just 1 dedicated tank + DPS-spec "off-tank."

I pretty much solo-tank 2-hour Kara runs nowadays, to get alts badges/gear. Back when Kara was progression for me? Hell no. We had one Prot Warrior and Prot Paladin (me). I tanked some fights (like Attumen + Midnight/Prince), and healed on others (Maiden/Nightbane).

The thing is, back then, we probably *could* have had only 1 dedicated tank (either me or the Warrior), with the other spec'ing their class's other role(s). We just *didn't* because we assumed we needed the two tanks (that, and my GLeader had a...thing for our Prot Warrior, so I couldn't get rid of him anyway ^_^).

I think Blizzard is just making these statements as a way to...inform people that, "No, you won't need 2 dedicated tanks for these." Design will be akin to ZA, where you don't *need* 2 tanks (I've seen a Ret-Pally tank Bearform on Nalorakk, Jan'ali adds, and the lynx spawn on Halazzi).
Amarant_Pally

Re: Question about WotLK tanking...

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:26 pm

kingharbromm wrote:Hey Everyone,

I heard a nasty rumor here:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/general- ... allys.html

Seems the poster Worldie feels the easy days of paladin PuGing are over once WotLK hits. Why?

Making it simple.

You aren't going to hold aggro on anything with consecration spam.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Spiggless » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm going to enjoy not facerolling over my keyboard in wrath!
Spiggless

Postby gmf1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:21 pm

So we wont be able to hold threat on a lock while he seed spams? or a mage? we did heroics mech aoeing was so much faster hope we can still do it.
gmf1
Maintankadonor

Postby Caelia » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:25 pm

gmf1 wrote:So we wont be able to hold threat on a lock while he seed spams? or a mage? we did heroics mech aoeing was so much faster hope we can still do it.

holding threat on 3 targets will be just fine easy enough, the more we go up from 3+ we will have to do more alt tabing to hit different targets with our new cleave. we should still be able to do it fine, but its going to be more involved than before.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Origon » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:27 pm

In other words, not every nub is gonna be able to mash consecrate and profit, it'll take more skill now
Origon

Postby aranil » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Tab, 2, tab, 2, tab, 2? (Holy shield is my one key, Con 2, so replacing it with Hammer)
aranil

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:57 pm

gmf1 wrote:So we wont be able to hold threat on a lock while he seed spams? or a mage? we did heroics mech aoeing was so much faster hope we can still do it.

We still can

However, it's not going to be a walk in the park like it's now.

A proper paladin, (and probably death knight) will be able to get the istance randomly AoEd in wotlk like in TBC.

A noob paladin will not manage to hold aggro.

For how strange it seembs, we'll need tab-targeting and proper use of Seals combined with HotR, AS and Judgement.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Grothnir » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Worldie wrote:For how strange it seembs, we'll need tab-targeting and proper use of Seals combined with HotR, AS and Judgement.

I'm leaning towards mouseover macros instead of tab-targeting, personally. Might take some re-training of the hands, though.
Grothnir

Postby Grimmal » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Grothnir wrote:
Worldie wrote:For how strange it seembs, we'll need tab-targeting and proper use of Seals combined with HotR, AS and Judgement.

I'm leaning towards mouseover macros instead of tab-targeting, personally. Might take some re-training of the hands, though.

Back leveling up my first paladin I did BG healing in the 29s for a few weeks. I used macros like this to great effect and it's one of the first things I thought of when I saw everybody talking about needing to tab target so much now.

The only problem with them is that in a crowded area, it sometimes can be hard to 'find' targets with these macros.
Grimmal

Postby Makaijin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Grothnir wrote:

Pre-BC I actually had a separate mouseover macro for sunder only. This allowed me to sunder other targets without changing my current target for autoattack/revenge/heroic/shieldslam.

Another advantage of the mouseover sunder is you could actually spam sunder on a sheep nearby as long as your current target was on something else. Since sunder didn't do any damage at all, the sheep wouldn't break at all. It should work on sapped targets as well but I never tried because I didn't want to risk breaking sap as you couldn't re-sap mid combat.

I hardly touched my human warrior since I rerolled BE paladin on BC's release, but unless there's a radical change i'm not aware of, the sunder trick should still work.
Makaijin

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:18 am

I was more used to tab-targetting rather than mouseover sunder macros on my warrior when tanking, don't know why, i fail at targetting mobs in the zerg.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Grothnir » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:35 am

Worldie wrote:I was more used to tab-targetting rather than mouseover sunder macros on my warrior when tanking, don't know why, i fail at targetting mobs in the zerg.

Nameplates ('v' key) make it easy mode, IMO. I used to think of them as clutter, but using them to target the hunters' kiting targets in Hyjal for a quick taunt when they return sold me on the utility.
Grothnir

Next

Return to WotLK