Tanking Magister's Terrace...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Magister's Terrace...

Postby Audrie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice regarding at which point I could safely try a Magister's Tce run?

I just dinged 70 two days ago, and so my gear/stats are still a little sketchy - planning on farming up some 5 mans this weekend to get some KoT rep items, SV/SL/TK drops, etc which should see my stats go up a lot.

But I'm just wondering at what point you recommend attempting MgT normal? I'd really like to get the quest chain done, and the rep would be great too, for my shield etc and some gear for my resto druid friend.

I've tanked the last boss on my holy-turned-prot-for-1-kill Paladin but even then we wiped probably half a dozen times, if not more - the healer just couldn't keep us up. Everytime I've gone in there (I have taken a mage and an s-priest through), it's either been a horrible wipe fest or my s-priest has spent most of the time back up healing as the healers just couldn't keep up. I have done it, though, with a warrior in green and blue gear (and it was surprisingly one of the cleanest runs), so I'm hoping I can get in there pretty soon.
Never chase a Pally out a window...
Audrie

Postby gudea » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Get 2 mages and a lock with you.
Or 1 mage, 1 lock and 1 rogue.
Try to have a shammy healer, so you can have frost resistance and keep/swap your aura on need.

When you see spellcasters, pull and run behind an angle, so they are forced to follow you in your aoe.

Oh, and shot magisters first, or disable them somehow. They will hurt you much.

On 3rd boss, disable healers, or kill them as first. You can use fear as long as you clear the prior room, and move the 'tanking' before. If you dont clear the prior room, feared healers will end there. Guaranteed, all the times.

For last boss, have dps to take fenix out of you very fast and shot them asap, or you will take insane damage.
Tell the rouge to kick the pyro.

Have a nice and clean run.
gudea

Postby guillex » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Regular MgT can be equated to some of the middle heroics ... so once you're comfortable with those, you should be fine doing your quest.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Worldie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Moved to appropriate forum :>
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Audrie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks for replies, helpful tips :). I always run with my resto druid friend so the resistance thing is probably out, though.

A middle heroic? OK, thanks :). I knew it was harder than some and vice versa, but wasn't sure where it "fell" exactly.

Hopefully we can hit up a ton of 5 mans and we get lucky with tank/healer drops so my gear will improve heaps over the weekend *fingers crossed*.

Worldie wrote:Moved to appropriate forum :>

Oops, really sorry I misplaced it :oops: . Thanks.
Audrie

Postby caboom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:39 am

Even on normal here with the apropriate half bluish gear u need 2 cc, and the reason for that is priestess delrissa, at kael u need a good healer, i would say 1.1-1.3k +heal for normal and 1.7-2k(2k for a paladin) on heroic, u will expect 4k fireballs from him so u need to soak that up.

Another thing u need here is good dps, i guy going afk even on normal doesn't cut it, and everyone needs to do their best on heroic.

The trash becomes trivial at some point where u learn ur ccs(sheep the warlocks, sap one of the healers(phisiscian or blood knight), kill the magister and other clothies 1st, and always los them) and the only real pain become the last 2 bosses.

1st boss is easy, just interupt his drain on u and take ur epix.

Vexalus is easy as long as u tell ur dps to stop dps whenever their hp is lower than 50%, w8 for heal up and then contiune, it's the best way by far now, and i've noticed that even without a coh priest or shammy healer there are no more or minimum casualties.

Delrissa at least for me is the biggest pain in the ass here, u can expect at least 1 wipe no matter how good ur group is, CC the warlord and fury warrior(naked be with dual fists) whenever possible, pop all cooldowns at the beggining to kill priestess, u should keep dispels off and it's easy. If u have plate dps or mail, ur main priority and ur healer's is to keep them up(let ur healer know ur gonna heal the plate wearer so he can focus on the others), with mages/locks it's a do or die situation, keep the BoP for ur healer, since he is the single most important persont there to keep alive, if ur healer is a pally then save BoP for ur best dps clothie. Best run here was when i had a enchancement shammy with a shammy healer and they chained bl at the beggining burning down delirisa and one of her adds very fast.

Kael is imho much easier than delrissa, healer needs to be focused and use max rank stuff to keep u toped, the 2 ranged dps can kill the bird, and if u have 1 ranged only ask ur rogue to CoS and help the ranged dps. Here i usually buff everyone with kings/might so to maximise dps, since because they will chase the phoenix it will give u plenty of time to build respectable agro on the boss, and mana for u will never be an issue, if ur dps is bad u'll notice a pyroblast before he reaches 50%, don't panic, keep ur mouse over ur bubble button(or ur hand over ur key or w/e ;p) and bubble when his cast bar is at 90-95%. In time lapse just run around and heal ur ppl, dodge the balls and stay alive(that's the only thing that matters in this phase) when time lapse is gone just ask ur ppl to go all out since he recieves 50% more dmg, rinse and repeat and get ur epix, oh on heroic snatch that chest if u will ever consider beeing retri. ;)
caboom

Postby Carabar » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:15 am

caboom wrote:Vexalus is easy as long as u tell ur dps to stop dps whenever their hp is lower than 50%, w8 for heal up and then contiune, it's the best way by far now, and i've noticed that even without a coh priest or shammy healer there are no more or minimum casualties.

Also if you have a Lock in the group, ask him to break out the felpuppy for this one and sic it on Vex. I have yet to actually weed through the combat logs for the exact mechanics of this one :oops: , but even in heroic the entire encounter suddenly becomes really easy. Puppy comes back all buffed up and healthy too, indicating it had a nice debuff lunch out there... :)
Carabar

Postby gudea » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:52 am

oooh didnt see....

do your best to get 485 defense fast, very fast. Sacrifice whatever, but get at 485 defense.

Bosses will CRIT you if you dont get 485 defense fast (unless you have some resilience on you). For raids, you need 490 defense to tank 'skull/lvl 73' bosses.

My suggestion to gear fast and well is to farm SteamValut normal, almost half of initial useful drops are there. Do BG until you farm 27k honor and take merciless gavel, with a nice +40sd on it.
The OT kara, grab some drop and gg :)
gudea

Postby rolo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:35 am

I just tanked this for the first time yesterday, I won't lie, it's the toughest heroic I've done. you'll want very good avoidance and lots of hit points. I also picked up a few pieces of Enchanted Admantite (usually cheap enough at the AH) to have some AR on Vex.

Then again, there was no CC in the group, so your results may very. We did have a super-leet healer who managed to keep me up!
Orcrist, lvl 70 Prot Paladin, Zul'Jin
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Orcrist
rolo

Postby Audrie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:18 pm

gudea wrote:oooh didnt see....

do your best to get 485 defense fast, very fast. Sacrifice whatever, but get at 485 defense.

Bosses will CRIT you if you dont get 485 defense fast (unless you have some resilience on you). For raids, you need 490 defense to tank 'skull/lvl 73' bosses.

My suggestion to gear fast and well is to farm SteamValut normal, almost half of initial useful drops are there. Do BG until you farm 27k honor and take merciless gavel, with a nice +40sd on it.
The OT kara, grab some drop and gg :)

Thanks for all the replies, some REALLY useful stuff here :).

I think this quote was directed at me, not sure if armory/signature was updating or not, but...

I have been working on finishing up the quests I needed to grab extra gear, and did Kara with my new guild. Managed to nab the tanking neck off Maiden, and my friend and I 2-manned the Dabiri's Enigma boss to get me my trinket. Have been trying Steamvaults and Shadow Lab for trinkets, shield, cloak, Bold shoulders - they all are refusing to drop! :(

Anyway I'm now on 503 defense, and just under 12k hp unbuffed. Not great but getting there :).

I'd really like to try MgT (normal) ... do you guys think I'd be OK? I'd stam food buff and pop pots/elixirs and stuff to help too. My resto druid friend is sitting on around 1k +healing unbuffed too.
Audrie

Postby rolo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:20 pm

Audrie wrote:Anyway I'm now on 503 defense, and just under 12k hp unbuffed. Not great but getting there :).

I'd really like to try MgT (normal) ... do you guys think I'd be OK? I'd stam food buff and pop pots/elixirs and stuff to help too. My resto druid friend is sitting on around 1k +healing unbuffed too.

You'll do fine on normal. Either find a healer who can keep you up while aoe tanking entire groups, or bring two good CC'ers. Kill healers (Blood Knights especially) first, then casters. You're probably not used to tanking with CC, so a few pulls might go south, but just keep plugging away. Remember that all groups struggle there, even on regular. There is also absolutely no tank loot for you on regular for some reason, so it's notoriously hard to find tanks and everyone will just be happy you're there and have a pulse.

You also sound ready to take on the easier heroics. Grab some stamina buff food (+20 is fine), try to get a Priest in your party for buffs, and hit SP or UB next time it's the daily.
Orcrist, lvl 70 Prot Paladin, Zul'Jin
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Orcrist
rolo

Postby Katerina » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 pm

rolo wrote:There is also absolutely no tank loot for you on regular for some reason, so it's notoriously hard to find tanks and everyone will just be happy you're there and have a pulse.

Even the gem selection for the quest sucks. :( I took the healing one for my off-set.

rolo wrote:You also sound ready to take on the easier heroics. Grab some stamina buff food (+20 is fine), try to get a Priest in your party for buffs, and hit SP or UB next time it's the daily.

Agreed.

Bot's good too.
Katerina

Postby Thenin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 am

Audrie wrote:Anyway I'm now on 503 defense, and just under 12k hp unbuffed. Not great but getting there :).

For only ~2 days in to lvl 70, I'd say you're doing just fine! Grab your resto buddy (1k healing is plenty) and go knock out MgT - the key is to use your CC and if (/when) you see those shimmery magic shields go up then GET THE HELL OUT OF THEM!! Other than that, it's a cake-walk.

Oh, and hope for a demon in Dalrissia's pack - it actually gives you somethign to do w/Fear Evil since otherwise we're pretty much relegated to shields, stuns, and heals.
Thenin

Postby Samuelus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:23 pm

nothing on reg.. but .. heroic .. SERIOUS TRINKET !!!
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34473

the stam alone makes this very worthy.. the proc with ardent defender.. makes a really hard to kill tankadin..

plus the rep items arent too shabby.
Samuelus

Postby kaelmcfly » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:49 am

Ive tanked MgT normal a couple of times now but as we all know there are no tanking gear drops in normal mode.

I had a rough time in Blood Furnace the other night but really want to try MgT on Heroic.

Do you think I would do ok with the standard group, Warlock, Mage, Rogue and Healer?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Kaelmcfly

Cheers
kaelmcfly

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics