Remove Advertisements

Nightbane...

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:44 pm

Questioner wrote:I did it with the 5 minute trinket, but the 2 minute one would have made it cake!

For horde on my battlegroup it would take me weeks to get the 2 minute trinket without dedicating my life to it. Maybe some day.

Dude, get a group made of 5 or so people in your guild and go PvPing.

We decimate anything we do the way queues currently work.

< 10 min WSG games, 4-5 cap ABs, w/e - we did it all. Small groups are the new set team BGs with the new queue system ;).
Blaen99

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Sigh.

I'm not saying that YOU should choose a Warrior tank over yourself. You've put in the extra effort to make yourself an equally-viable tank for the Nightbane encounter, and I applaud you for it. You've stepped up to the plate where your raid needed you to, and delivered fully. No sarcasm in the slightest - I admire you and in a way envy you as I never had that chance (the warriors all outgeared me at that level of content).

All I'm saying - and I believe Vanifae is saying as well - is that if you already have a tank that can do it with no issue, there is no urgent need to ensure you can do it yourself. It honestly doesn't even matter what class the other tank is. If you and Vanifae raided together, there would still be no real need for Vanifae to go out and get his PVP trinket because you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Lore wrote:Sigh.

I'm not saying that YOU should choose a Warrior tank over yourself. You've put in the extra effort to make yourself an equally-viable tank for the Nightbane encounter, and I applaud you for it. You've stepped up to the plate where your raid needed you to, and delivered fully. No sarcasm in the slightest - I admire you and in a way envy you as I never had that chance (the warriors all outgeared me at that level of content).

All I'm saying - and I believe Vanifae is saying as well - is that if you already have a tank that can do it with no issue, there is no urgent need to ensure you can do it yourself. It honestly doesn't even matter what class the other tank is. If you and Vanifae raided together, there would still be no real need for Vanifae to go out and get his PVP trinket because you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself.

At which point, then I have to admit I misunderstood what you were saying.

I understood it as being stated an equally geared warrior and paladin, the warrior was better regardless - This is what I was disputing.
Blaen99

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Blaen99 wrote:At which point, then I have to admit I misunderstood what you were saying.

I understood it as being stated an equally geared warrior and paladin, the warrior was better regardless - This is what I was disputing.

Heh. I'm a Tankadin just as much as you are. You should know better ;)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Lore wrote:Dunno. All I've really heard is that "some of the updated talents are in the build of WotLK available at the Liepzig Convention."

So all it could really potentially do is prove their existence. Since it's a WotLK build we wouldn't have any idea when they plan to implement them other than the random inklings I and others have heard.

If it's a WotLK build, why are you saying 2.3?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Lore wrote:
Blaen99 wrote:At which point, then I have to admit I misunderstood what you were saying.

Heh. I'm a Tankadin just as much as you are. You should know better ;)

Ugh. Got a pissant warrior in guild who is way undergeared, has shit play times, and continues to try to insist that warriors are better tanks regardless.

It's annoying as hell. Best part? "ZOMG, paladins only have 4% magical damage reduction, and warriors have 18%!"

/facepalm
Blaen99

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Lore wrote:Dunno. All I've really heard is that "some of the updated talents are in the build of WotLK available at the Liepzig Convention."

So all it could really potentially do is prove their existence. Since it's a WotLK build we wouldn't have any idea when they plan to implement them other than the random inklings I and others have heard.

If it's a WotLK build, why are you saying 2.3?

2.3 is when they plan to release it, according to when I hear it internally. I just say it's a WotLK build because its being in there doesn't really prove when they plan to release it. Whether they release it in 2.3, hotfix it in tomorrow, or wait until WotLK, it'd still be in a WotLK build :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Bemm » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 am

Hey guys!

I will be leading our guilds first attempt at nightbane.

At this stage I don't plan on MTing him as i feel i need a little more gear (i am not uncrushable just yet) and our druid is fantastically geared....

Our group consists of
Druid - MT
Pally (me) - OT

Heals - 2x Priest + Shaman

Dps - Warr 2xRogue mage hunter

My theory was to have the druid MT and have me break fear and off tank whenever the totem doesn't kick in straight away.

In all honesty it would be great to get him down, but i'm hoping just to learn the rotations (although when that happens i hear you pretty have it)

Issues i can see straight away are - maintaining aggro, bad fears on shotting healers etc...

any advice? etc...

(btw horde side, no ward =) )

Cheers,

Bemm
Bemm

Postby jere » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:07 am

Blaen99 wrote:
It's annoying as hell. Best part? "ZOMG, paladins only have 4% magical damage reduction, and warriors have 18%!"

/facepalm

That's hilarious. But don't hold it too much against him, most warriors think they have 16% reduction in magic damage and most paladins think they have 10% reduction in magic damage. Unfortunately for us, the extra mitigation from talents is not additive, but multiplicative.

So instead of being 16% versus 10% (6% deficit), it is 15.4% versus 9.024% (7.484%)

Math:
Damage*Stance_red*Talent_red =
damage*0.9*0.94
or
damage*0.94*0.96

Still, where he got 18% is beyond me lol.
jere

Postby Joanadark » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:02 pm

not sure if it's been said but wearing some of the epic fire resist set you buy with badges makes the damage nightbane deals utterly negligible.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Brighid » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:23 am

It's my second week main tanking Nightbane. After skipping him for so long I've become mostly outgeared to him :( That being said he still hits for a fair amount, enough to scare me into downing an ironshield when I lost a priest (too close during a fear.)

The two minute trinket was definitely a lifesaver. If your dps is capable of doing 25% per fear, you may not need it. But I don't really see a way around it unless the perfect situation of either; your party's tremor popping immediately, or no one resisting the fears and taking a hit or two to the face. Nightbane will make a move for your raid if you're not quick enough on the cancelaura, so make sure you're quick on that and follow it up with a little something to remind him you're still there - judgement, exorcism, even something as little as minor as activating a holy shield or a seal will remind him of his threat table (I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but sometimes when coming out of things like DS or an incapacitate, a mob will not immediately return to me)

Without further ado, my shameless screenshot, 2 months tardy to the thread :P
Brighid

Postby Tresjynn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:47 am

Regarding his fear, how often does/can he cast it and how many times will he cast it? Is it reliable enough that you can get off Trinket, BoP, 1 minute Forbearance wait, and DS by the time Trinket's back?
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Postby adese » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:09 am

Tresjynn wrote:Regarding his fear, how often does/can he cast it and how many times will he cast it? Is it reliable enough that you can get off Trinket, BoP, 1 minute Forbearance wait, and DS by the time Trinket's back?

In theory, according to the Fear bar for him from Deadly Boss Mods, he can cast it as often as every 30 seconds. However, I've never seen him cast it that often. If I had to guess, he casts is once every 1-2 minutes.

I've never had to tank him without a Fear Ward or Tremor Totem, so I can't say if those three are enough to counteract the fear or not. The one time I did it with a tremor totem, I kept my finger on my PvP trinket and DS macros, and it went fairly well.
adese

Postby Eliane » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:53 am

I tank him with just a Tremor or two.
Eliane

Postby Demiblade » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:37 am

It is possible to down him with just 5min trinket. I posted the details in a different section (because it is actually spec related, and still a viable spec in general for other bosses).

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1791
Demiblade

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan