I want old-style million button, no cycle tankadin TPS
13%
Cake
19%
Pie
25%

Total votes : 83

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:14 am

Looking over this again, I really think I like my cycle better...you lose consecrate in yours, which should easily be 400 TPS at level 80. In my rotation you lose about 2 seconds out of every 8 on ShoR/HotR, but you have consecrate and judgement and holy shield constantly on cooldown.

I'll make up a nicer graph when I have some time today, I gotta keep editing this spreadsheet so it looks like I'm doing something :P
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby PsiVen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 am

I've been using the rotation of 9 sec HS/Judge/Cons 6 sec HotR/ShoR, and it seems to work quite fluidly. I drop Consecration out of my rotation more often than not in 5-mans (and ofc never cast the new max rank) but I think in 25's we'd be able to keep it in when MTing. I can't see any rotation beating the 6-9-6-9-6-9... for hasteless situations as it keeps everything but Consecration at 100% uptime, and Consecration at 89% which is higher than typical on Live due to HS GCD conflicts.

fiorina wrote:I think I understand those obvious things.

All I was asking for is if there is already some calculation up when it will start becoming viable since now it not worth the global CD most of the time.

I think as soon as you get a decent slow weapon it should be worth the GCD, my Hammer is hitting for 350ish with Might and a green main hand, which would be 800 threat + the seal procs.

The problem is Hammer isn't properly dealing holy damage at the moment, so single-target it really is a wasted GCD. However with the 6-9 rotation the only other thing you need to use that GCD for regularly is a reseal every 2 minutes.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Rehlachs- » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:03 am

fiorina wrote:I think I understand those obvious things.

All I was asking for is if there is already some calculation up when it will start becoming viable since now it not worth the global CD most of the time.

we can't calculate that, yet. we don't have any numbers - we don't even know if that "high amount of threat" is a percentual bonus or a given amount of threat (like the warrior got it for most of their spells).
so, any calculations regarding the usefulness of HotR besides it's damage component, it's quite possibly crap.
Rehlachs-

Postby PsiVen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:13 am

Actually we can, Blizzard's threat API is in-game and has been used to establish that ShoR and HotR bonus threat is 20%.
PsiVen

Postby Rehlachs- » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:41 am

any verifications on this?

a percentual bonus would piss of warriors, for sure >.<
Rehlachs-

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:11 am

Here's my fun messing around:

http://www.djjensaarai.com/WoW/rotations.xls

*edited and re-uploaded at 11:20am and 12:35pm PDT for some column widths and times, re-download if you want to be able to read all the half-seconds*

Notes on the second rotation:

No HotR/ShoR time is lost, but you lose one second each from Judgement, HS, and Consecration. However, you can gain a talent point and go 1/2 Imp. Judgement, and since HS lasts 10 seconds, you're not losing any up-time, per se. The only loss is one second of Consecrate, and one second of Judgement.

This may be the preferred rotation, though it is much more complicated.

J
ShoR
C
HotR
HS
ShoR

J
HotR
C
ShoR
HS
HotR

J
ShoR
C
HotR
HS
ShoR

J
HotR
C
ShoR
HS
HotR

J
ShoR

etc....

I guess it's not that bad. Basically Judgement, Consecration, and Holy Shield, with HotR and ShoR alternating in between...damn...I'm gonna miss my thinking time :P

I think I like that better actually...nice!

Feel free to mess around with my file.
Last edited by Jensaarai on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby PsiVen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Yeah, the second rotation is the one I was talking about. It really works quite nicely once you get used to it, just alternate shield/hammer and hit whichever cooldown just finished in between. The "fudge time" will come naturally with hasted GCDs so that lag shouldn't be much of an issue.

Making a misstep on these rotations is more punishing than we're used to dealing with; at the moment on Live if we Consecrate late that's all that happens, lost a tick or two. If you don't Consecrate on time now, you will either lose an entire recast of it, or you will push back ShoR, HotR, JoW, and HS by however much time you waited, probably a whole GCD as the server will be delayed in letting you know that you missed that cast. And then you might try to compensate for lost HS uptime or lose track of the order things were going in and lose even more.

I am pretty happy that we will no longer be considered the "intended to be easy to play" tanks.
PsiVen

Postby Joanadark » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:48 pm

I've been using the rotation of 9 sec HS/Judge/Cons 6 sec HotR/ShoR, and it seems to work quite fluidly. I drop Consecration out of my rotation more often than not in 5-mans (and ofc never cast the new max rank) but I think in 25's we'd be able to keep it in when MTing. I can't see any rotation beating the 6-9-6-9-6-9... for hasteless situations as it keeps everything but Consecration at 100% uptime, and Consecration at 89% which is higher than typical on Live due to HS GCD conflicts.

This is the rotation I'll be using as well.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Levantine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:19 pm

Brain's drawing blanks (too long as a priest imo), but that's the same sort of rotation that Fury Warriors use isn't it?
Levantine

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:57 am

It WILL get fun to play with haste.

Elemental Shaman (we have 2), Ret Paladin (we have 1) will be very nice in the future.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Mithos » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 am

Nice work, although Seals last 2 minutes now so you dont have to re-seal every 30 seconds, so yay more fGCDs :p.

Also this 6 9 6 9 6 9 rotation I've been hearing about sounds like what I've been thinking abouyt in my head, good to know it wasn't just mad self ramblings :D.

@ fiorina - As someone else said, we can't caluclate such crossover points yet because I read on Worldofraids yesterday a blue post stating "we can't balance numbers until people are raiding on the test server", so I expect we will have to wait a fair bit before such things become available let alone finalised :).
Mithos

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 am

Mithos wrote:Nice work, although Seals last 2 minutes now so you dont have to re-seal every 30 seconds, so yay more fGCDs :p.
made up by putting Judgment on GCD
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Mithos » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:02 am

Huh, I know that, I'm looking at the OP's threat cycle and he/she has SoR featuring every 30 seconds which is not required, woudl only be requried every 2 minutes.
Mithos

Postby Norrath » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:59 pm

That 96969 rotation is VERY good. I hadn't even considered it. :)

Even if a rotation involving 8 sec Judgements could be thought up that didn't interfere with HotR and ShoR enough that you lost the second anyway, I doubt it'd be worth it. This rotation is *deceptively* simple. All you have to do is keep HotR and ShoR on cooldown and throw in HS/Cons/Judge in whenever they come off cooldown... and make sure that one of them is done in between HotR and ShoR.
Norrath

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:02 pm

After reading all this topic i still think i'll keep spamming every button as soon as the CD is up.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK